If you know cars kill and pollute, why do you still drive? Why is comfort and saving time more important than human lives and our planet?

cunnilinguist
This is not going to be a popular post but...

1.4 million people die EACH YEAR in road accidents. This number only includes children who lose one or both parents in a car accident, and mums and dads who lose their children that get run over by cars that weren't necessarily even speeding... or cases where a whole family dies in a head-on crash. It does not include the tens of millions who are "lucky" enough to get away with an injury - a broken bone, a sprain or a fracture, maybe a concussion or a broken spine leaving you disabled for life.

Most parents start shouting at their kids if they run off when walking in town. Why? Because of what might happen if they dare step on the road. We all live in constant terror of the immediate danger of death posed by simply being outdoors - thanks to cars.

Some of you said "it would be all good if people followed the rules". But the fact is that they don't. No one does, and that's the point. Let me ask you this: Have you never EVER checked a text / answered the phone while driving? Jumped the red light? Can you confidently say you have never ever gone over the speed limit? Or course you can't. Because you all have done one or more of these, plus possibly something else as well that could have ended (or actually ended) in an accident or a near miss.

Yet another fact is pollution and the resulting diseases. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) is part of the World Health Organization (WHO). Its major goal is to identify causes of cancer. IARC classifies diesel engine exhaust as “carcinogenic to humans,” based on sufficient evidence that it is linked to an increased risk of lung cancer.

This is not usually talked about but anoter consideration is noise pollution. Living next to busy roads is no fun. Who enjoys sitting in their garden surrounded by the constant noise of motor vehicles passing by? You get used to it and put up with it, only because there is nothing you can do. Except if we all stop driving.
Updates:
21 d
For me being a non-driver is a life choice. When I was a child we used to spend our days in the street drawing hopscotch on the road, riding our scooters, playing football, "it", hide-and-seek, and other fun games with all the kids in the street. Today our children can no longer go out in the streets which are full of cars, making is dangerous to leave the house. Instead they stay indoors playing console games and watching TV cartoons. I miss the old days when neighboring kids played together.
If you know cars kill and pollute, why do you still drive? Why is comfort and saving time more important than human lives and our planet?
Add Opinion