Is cancel culture okay?

Anonymous
" Online shaming is a form of public shaming in which targets are publicly humiliated online. Online shaming frequently involves exposing private information on the Internet. "
"The act of canceling, also referred to as cancel culture describes a form of boycott in which an individual who has shared a questionable or controversial opinion, or has had behavior in their past that is perceived to be offensive recorded on social media."
Recently a girl from my high school was "cancelled" by the Twitter community for posting a controversial opinion. Basically said don't do illegal things and you won't face consequences with the police (speaking about the George Floyd situation). She also made a post saying "Black lives don't matter to black people unless they are killed by a white person". She was fired from her job, her full ride scholarship revoked, her family was sent threats and she was torched by pretty much everyone who heard about this for being what twitter claimed "a racist". She has since deleted all of her social media and her family has changed their phone numbers (heard a rumor they were also moving). This is the type of consequences you face from being "cancelled". Now I have no idea if this girl is racist or not and I wouldn't say she is simply from these posts, I think she is very ignorant and simple minded. What she said was distasteful to say the least but personally I don't think her life should've been ruined over this. What do you guys think about this and cancel culture?
Is cancel culture okay?
6
0