White people, why do some of you make fun of black hair so much?

Anonymous
I usually wear a sew in because I was tired of people making comments about my hair, but I want to wear it natural for a bit and, honestly, sew ins are annoying. I came out with an Afro puff ponytail. First, my roommate raised his fist at me in a ‘black power’ way and said good morning. I went to work, and a co-worker asked me if I was going to join a BLM protest after work. Several co-workers have commented that my hair is poofy. One suggested I straighten it. As I was leaving, another coworker reached out and touch my hair (and effectively messed it up) while I was talking to them about something totally unrelated. Then she apologized and said, “Sorry, I can help myself. I had to know what it felt like.” I stopped at the gas station, and a truck driver in line asked me how my NATURAL HAIR got to looking like that and said my ponytail reminded him of those snowball hostess cakes.

I really need to understand why so many white people just lose all basic common sense and respect when a black person wears their hair natural. I’ve noticed this since I was kid, and I’m 32 now. What tf is it with some white people that they are just so beyond rude?
White people, why do some of you make fun of black hair so much?
Add Opinion