Self Reflection or Evasive Rationalization?

OurManFlint
During serious conversations, there's a particular question I often pose as I consider it to be way of attaing some pretty insightful responses. "What is something you wish you were better at?" The question in itself isn't particularly inventive, but it has on occasion lead to some very thoughtful and intricate answers.

Ever so often when I find myself in one of these conversations, having asked my question, I receive these series of very deluded remarks. It typically goes something like, "I don't say no enough " or "I'm too trusting", or "I let people take advantage of me". Now I'm not of the mind that these kind of habits don't exist, nor that there aren't people out there who are actually struggling with them, I'm quite certain there are and that people do. But I'm also fairly certain that the frequency of which I hear these type of responses, and the actual cases in which they can be applied, do not remotely correlate.

Women disproportionately answer the question in this fashion, something in the range of 7 to 1, and men over the age of 55 follow at about 3 to 1. I have my own thoughts as to why this is such a reoccurring theme in my Q&A sessions, but I'm curious as to how the GAG community will come to explain it.
0
4