Gender: who decides it?

snackthatsmilesback
When gender meant the same as sex, you couldn't change your gender. Acting in ways society labeled abnormal for your gender/sex didn't affect it, and had negative connotations because of narrow societal views.

When gender is considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones, however, things would change. That would mean your gender would be determined by which one society thinks you look/act like. It can change, if you change your appearance/behavior or if society shifts its views.

Am I reading this wrong, is there something important I'm missing, or can you still not decide your own gender any more than you could before?

(excuse me if this is a dumbass question but I'd still appreciate if you answered it rather than answering some other question that I didn't ask)
Gender: who decides it?
1
3