Should a mother have the unilateral right to put a child up for adoption with out the consent of the father?

worldscolide
I ask because i have seen this before, I had a friend who spent 6 months fighting the adoption agency because the mother signed over her rights hours after birth. He won, he has his daughter. But you hear about this kind of thing all the time.

Personally If the father is ready able and wanting to be a father, the mother absolutely should not be able to put the child up for adoption without the fathers permission. There are some states that have a fathers registry, and that some times saves them the trouble. I believe that if the mother fails to include the father in this decision she should face legal penalties.

Please keep your responses limited to the understanding that the father is not abusive, not a drug addict, there is literally nothing wrong with him, the relationship just did not work. Comments including things like "What if he was abusive" Shows you did not read the whole question and will be deleted.
Should a mother have the unilateral right to put a child up for adoption with out the consent of the father?
Updates:
2 d
A little legal background, A father must file for paternity within 15 to 30 days of the birth (depending on the state, it does vary), Or be on the putative registry. If he has done one or both of those items, All he has to do is file for an objection to the adoption. Unless there are mitigating circumstances he stands a greater than 90% chance of winning custody of the child with the mother losing all rights to it.
adoptionnetwork.com/.../adoption-consent-laws-by-state
Add Opinion