Why do you think the US restaurant industry (Not fast food) is having such a staffing crisis right now?

I am a dishwasher in a restaurant. Ever since COVID restrictions have been rolled back to allow restaurants to reopen there has been a lot of challenges to get and keep workers. Nationwide about 95% of all restaurants in the US are short staffed. Some are having to scale back hours and close due to short staffing. How did a billion dollar industry get to this crisis?

Personally, I think it's people A: Don't want to deal with Karen's and complaining Boomers. B: People are receiving government assistance and don't feel the need to work although in many states you actually have to work or attempt to look to receive such assistance. C: more people are preferring drive through, curbside, or delivery service to eat at home rather than eat in the restaurant.

Those are my thoughts but, I want to know what you think the issue is.
0
9