Shouldn't we start using antisemitism by its linguistic meaning?

BigPunny
Most people use the term antisemite to refer to people who are either critical of Israeli policy, or who hate Jews (for whatever strange reason).

As an aside, I never really understood why people hated Jews. I have also never witnessed antisemitism in real life. I've seen it online, sure, but never in person. I've never seen a Jewish person be talked down to or treated differently because they're Jewish. I HAVE witnessed plenty of black people treated poorly because they're black. Not that I'm suggesting antisemitism doesn't exist, but it's certainly not as prevalent or detrimental to Jews as they often claim. Not anymore, anyway. But I digress.

The word antisemite is actually defined in a different way than its colloquial meaning.

It would be correct to call Jews that hate Arabs antisemites. Let me explain:

Anti means opposed to or against.

A Semite is a member of any people (s) who speak or spoke a Semitic language. Jews & Arabs both speak semitic languages (or spoke). Jews and Arabs are both Semites.

For that reason, hatred against Arabs would - technically-speaking- be considered antisemitic.

Should we stop letting the term antisemite mean "Jew only hate" and include all Semites, as the word implies? I feel a better term for hatred of Jews is the one they used to use, which is antiJudaism or antiJudaist.

There is a slight distinction between the two. AntiJudaism refers to the hate of the Jewish religion OR of Jews in general. But antisemitism tries to refer to Jew as a race of people.

The only real difference between most Jews & most Arabs is that Jews are Arabs that have mixed with Europeans while Arabs did not (generally-speaking). Jews & Arabs share common ancestors but most Jews look vastly different from Arabs and have lighter skin because they mixed with Europeans after they chose to abandon their land while Arabs stayed.

What do you think?
1 mo
@Tartaarsaus blocked me, so I'll respond here:

"@"Lol so you went from saying Jews experience basically no hate to not the largest one and then declaring it is false because of “Jewish Supremacist” and “Jewish Owned” websites. Pathetic, actually."

Nope, that's not what I did or said.
You made all of what you just said up

"And ugh, it is very common that a) the number of hatecrimes aren’t recorded and b) that recorded hate crimes tend to not be the most severe thing.

1 mo
"And ugh, it is very common that a) the number of hatecrimes aren’t recorded and b) that recorded hate crimes tend to not be the most severe thing. But that’s not the bloody point."

Oh? So, what, you get to CLAIM that they are the most hated, but when you are proven wrong, you then get to say "Yeah but it's only because it's not reported!!!"

Riiight.
2
8