Can Americans describe to me the deep infatuation the American people have with Russia?

Jaysonava
I am New Zealand American

and when I was in Ohio, "Russia Russia Russia" kept creeping into the conversation.

The hillbilly's loved Russia. A prepper said to me "with your own radio you cna communicate with Russia"

The student hippies in Columbus were obsessed with Russia. "Have you read Tolstoy? Have you read Pushkin" said when one bright knowledge hungry student in a bookshop cafe at Ohio State?

"I think Hilary Clinton has a crush on Putin and he broker her heart" said one... not bright lady.

My uncle. An intellectual. Had made many collages of Russia with Putin, Tsars, russian buildings.

My 28 year old cousin would always talk about war with Russia.

Russia Russia Russia. This is something very deep in the heart of the Americans.

What does Russia symbolize to the American people?
2
1