Does the fact that he's avoiding me mean he doesn't care?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half now. We live together, we've talked about our future together, and we've been through some pretty intense problems. One recurring theme in our fights happens to be alcohol. We both like to go out and have fun on the weekends and for some reason, we just can't handle it around each other. Some nights are worse than others. Most of the time, we get into a little argument, go to bed, and are fine the next morning. I try to talk about these issues with him, but he prefers to let them go until he's cooled off. Sometimes we both cause HUGE fights from drinking. He'll do something wrong and I'll be mad at him then I'll do something wrong and he'll be mad at me. After a fight that we got into during the summer, I decided to cut back on alcohol to save our relationship. After months of not fighting too hard and not having done anything wrong, I decided to drink this past Sunday at a football game. I ended up getting highly intoxicated and we exchanged some words. But instead of getting over it the next day, he has decided to avoid me. He said that he's done arguing when we're drunk, things will never change and that we're not going to be able to make things better. It's been four days and he still "doesn't want to see me." He says that he doesn't want to break up, that he still loves me and that he still cares. He just wants me to change, stop drinking and work on my anger (failed to mention that I have anger issues). I told him that alcohol will not be a problem. I've cut back enough already and giving it up is not going to be difficult whatsoever. However, he won't admit that he needs to work on things too. Often times, we get into arguments because I hate babysitting him at the bar and having my night ruined. He also has major insecurity issues. We tried being away from each other during the weekends, but that didn't really work either because we have the same friends. I am under the impression that he just no longer cares. He doesn't want to put in any sort of effort because he doesn't think that things will get better and he doesn't feel like he has to put in effort. I'm not sure how to convince him to stay. He's not going anywhere, but he doesn't want to see me at all. Wouldn't he want to see me and talk to me if he still wanted the relationship? How can you want to be in a relationship with someone but not want to see them at all and work out your issues? He says it's because he's still angry and that he has nothing nice to say. I just don't understand how he went from saying he was happy less than a week ago to being so angry he can't even speak to me after one Sunday night. I've apologized, I've called, I've texted and I've tried leaving him alone. I just don't know what to do from here on out. How can I know if he'll stick around? When do you think he'll want to see me again? And should I continue to be upset for someone who doesn't care to work things out?
Does the fact that he's avoiding me mean he doesn't care?
Add Opinion