This is Hurling, Ireland's national sport. What do you think of it?

Would you like to play it? Do you think you would be able? Does it look to rough?
I'm interested in people's opinions.
I started playing it at 9yrs of age. Don't play it anymore though.

Updates:
To answer a few questions i'm posting a video that explains some of the rules and objectives.
This is an Amateur sport. The players are not paid to play. All the players have day jobs. It takes a huge commitment for training etc.
It's origins go back to Celtic times, it was a way to train and toughen young warriors for battle. The balls, those days, were made from the boiled down brains of an enemy whose head was cut off in battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

0|3

Most Helpful Girls

• Wow I have never heard of Hurling! I’m now bound to go try and play! It looks sooooo fun! I love a bunch of sports like rugby and hockey. Hurling is like an awesome combo of a lot of cool sports! Thanks for sharing!

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• damn i never heard about this game, i sure would try it

0|1
    0|0
  • Now I just wanna go back to Ireland 😭

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• I always thought hurling was when they throw logs... πŸ€”

0|0
    0|0
  • I maybe stereotyping but that sounds like something drunks would come up with just saying although in Soccer there is rights.

0|0
    0|1
  • i prefer baseball,,,

0|1
    0|0
  • The video is so depressing omg

0|0
    0|1
  • No f*cking way🀣 I like my face the way it is

0|1
    1|0

What Guys Said 20

• Huh. I always thought yoga was the national sport of Ireland

image.spreadshirtmedia.com/.../...-yoga-shirts.jpg

j/k I work with a guy who plays hurling and he's crazy AF

1|2
    0|1
  • When I was younger I would have probably tried it out (though wasn't and still am not a huge fan of sports (though the more aggressive ones are tolerable)) but I would be concerned with loosing teeth and now I think I would be to old to do it (plus I get the feeling you should have some very good insurance or be very good with a needle and thread to play hurling).

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm guessing that's Ireland's number one cause of death

1|0
    1|2
  • Well, this isn't all that different from how we played floorball in highschool... If I remember correctly, we broke 4 bats during a 15 minute match, mostly on each other's different bodyparts.

But yeah, looks fun. I have never heard of it. I would try it, but I am not that much into team sports, plus it doesn't exist around here.

Seriously though, who the fuck decided that football will be the most popular sport in Europe? It's so lame...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's dumb and I hate violent sports.
    I would never play it.
    I am not able and not willing play that shit

0|0
    1|1
  • UFC with baseball bats. Too hard to follow. What are the rules and objective of the game?

0|1
    1|0
    • One point for over the bar, three points for a goal. You must "dribble" the ball by balancing it on the edge of the Hurley (the stick they use) and you cannot pick up the ball directly from the ground. They are the basic rules to go by. Obviously there are more rules to do with 45s and goal kicks, penalties, fouls, etc.

• I'm Irish! Yeah Hurling is great - way better than American football or baseball.

0|1
    0|0
  • I absolutely love it but it pains me that I can't watch most of it here in the UK

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course you don't play it now, you're 101 years old! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1|1
    0|0
  • Well some things even if rough they deserve if u like it

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd like to keep my nose thanks. Fun to watch though

0|1
    1|0
  • Never heard of it, but looks interesting.

0|1
    0|0
  • Glo-ri-ous!

0|0
    0|0
  • Suicidal

0|1
    1|0
  • It's very interesting

0|1
    0|0
  • is maith sin :)

0|0
    0|0
  • It's cool!

0|0
    0|0
  • Watch out for the balls!

0|0
    0|0
  • That's bad ass

0|0
    0|0
  • "Hurling" is also a euphemism for vomiting. Given the Irish stereotype of heavy drinking some would say its appropriate that "hurling" is the Irish National Sport. (just kidding-don't sic the "Micky Finns" on me).

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes