Rugby player fired from team because of anti-gay posts on social media. Do you agree with this?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rugby-australia-terminates-folaus-contract-052418442--spt.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/sport/israel-folau-spt-intl/index.html

He made the post on instagram.
He made the post on instagram.

The actual post in my opinion is not specifically anti-gay. It is anti-sin. Because he is right. The Bible specifically says;

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is external life through Christ Jesus."

I don't know much about Australia. And perhaps things work differently over there. But I don't think it is fair and certainly in American society, he would not be disciplined or even fined. Because that is considered to be freedom of religion.

His post;

"drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters," reading underneath, "Hell awaits you."

So if he was in America, he was already saying that Clinton, Trump, Newt Gringrich, Bill Barr, etc. were all going to hell if they did not repent. In the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. Along with all the other sins. The Bible says specifically that one must repent and ask for forgiveness. This isn't as problematic at Freedom of Speech. He didn't say something to just to insult people. He didn't specifically target gays. He didn't cite some conspiracy theory. This is actual text from the Bible. This is from several passages. It isn't something he made up.

So I just wanted to show folks here at GaG, the difference. But the larger question is, at what point does Freedom of Religion end? I would say if YOU CLAIM your religion sanctions violence and the murder of other people, then you can't be in a free society. You physically need to relocate.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• sure. i don't really care or have any strong opinion... harsh? yes. not because i think it's right, but because we're, in large part, going by American standards. if we were, i'd be inclined to say no based on the fact teams have signed murders, rapists, people who commit assault on others, etc. plus, I don't know the league's or team's policy in terms of hate speech or pre-agreed upon policy. without drawing assumptions, it could very well be stipulated that you can't say that stuff publicly... maybe not. and when you represent a company or league, you kind of have to be mindful of what you say.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

The thing is that is not an American standard. I know of no court in America that would rule this was hate speech. The Supreme Court sided with the baker when it came to the same sex couple and baking the cake.

Religious freedom rights have been passed by many states. And although I may disagree with some of the interpretations of these laws, I wholeheartedly agree that simply stating religious texts that may include homosexuality as a sin is not homosexual discrimination. No law can make people accept homosexuality. Law can only compel equality for homosexuals. And even then that is limited as explained in the Supreme Court's decision.

• Show All
    • 5 d ago

i honestly don't get your point... i answered the question both ways. i said it's harsh, but i also acknowledge it's a different culture. i also understand how rules work. if you agree to pre-agreed rules and violate them, there are consequences... what, do you want someone to agree with you? this also isn't something i care much about nor will i lose sleep over. at the end of the day, assuming this dude is semi decent, he'll make a roster somewhere. if you just want people to agree with you, then sure. i agree with you.

• 5 d ago

Tommy, you know me by now. You don't have to get my point.

We are done.

• It's pretty awful. Have we gotten to the point where thinking certain thoughts means someone can't even earn a livelihood as an athlete?

0|0
    0|0
    • 9 d ago

I would rather just stay focused on what he posted. That is scripture. I could see if he advocated harm or murder. I can even see it if he talked about some personal disgust. But scripture says all sin is punishable by death. And homosexuality is seen as sin.

• Show All
    • 9 d ago

Well putting it that way, I can understand your view.

For me he was simply quoting the Bible. It wasn't like he was stated some personal view on homosexuality. The view that it is a sin comes from scripture. It is totally about religion. Not about some need or obsession to target homosexuals. And the text specifically says that.

Anyone who sins is going to hell. Not just gays.

• 5 d ago

Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. He said his piece and got fired. Like @BrexitAteMyHamster said, it's business.

0|0
    0|0
    • 9 d ago

He quoted the Bible.

That wasn't "his piece".

• 8 d ago

I'm aware of where it's from. Saying his "piece" as in posting what he chose on social media.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• his employer doesn't want those sentiments associated with them, more specifically publicly associated with them... so they have every right to dismiss him.

they are in the business of gaining devotees and to do so is to produce a good product and not venture into divisive personal opinions

0|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

What’s up Mad? It is funny that people at GaG think we are in lockstep on everything.

Of course I disagree with you here. If this were in America do you think the team could still dismiss him without being sued for millions?

• Show All
    • 4 d ago

his employer can simply say the player's actions compromise their ability to generate revenue or remain in good standing with the public to avoid any wrongful termination

• 4 d ago

Mad, you are my guy. But you are omitting things. Yep, he threw homosexuals in with murders and other criminals.

But who else did he include? Oh drunks. Is it against the law to be drunk? Idolators, fornicators, are these even moral issues in our society? Nope!

God's law is way different than our law. Did you know it is even a sin to covet what another person has?

So while we may think homosexuality isn't all that bad. Or getting drunk one night. Or having sex before marriage. That stuff is called "sin". And sin sends you directly to hell.

You make it seem like he just included homosexuals with murderers. Nah. He included a lot of other groups that we don't normally think are all that bad. I am actually in several of those. And I didn't get offended.

And you keep conflating things. He is free to express his religion without being fired.

This is the law the land Mad. This is not some subjective opinion.

"Religious discrimination involves treating a person (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of his or her religious beliefs. The law protects not only people who belong to traditional, organized religions, such as Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism, but also others who have sincerely held religious, ethical or moral beliefs."

His moral belief that homosexuality is a sin cannot be used as grounds for his dismissal in this country.

• I agree with it because it's about business. It's about sponsorship. If they don't fire him then they risk losing major sponsors. He's not going to jail, his freedom to say what he wants hasn't been affected. Freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom from consequence and it never will.

2|0
    0|2
    • 9 d ago

Every Christian believes that without Christ, we are going to hell. The only way into heaven is to ask for forgiveness in the name of Jesus Christ and repent. So if a person claims to be a Christian then the same policy would apply to them.

• Freedom of religion? We're talking about Australia, not the US! AFAIK, it legal to fire people in Oz for being evil, which this bastard clearly is.

1|0
    0|2
  • Nope, we have freedom of speech or not. They gave more rights for being gay then to him for Freedom of speech rights.

0|0
    1|0
    • 4 d ago

I don’t think I understand what you are saying. And do you realize this is happening in Australia? In the U. S. this would not happen and I cited the reasons why.

• 4 d ago

yes it does, all the time

• Except the thing is that his team has the right to fire him. Sure, he could say whatever he wants, but a team also looks out for their back and wouldn’t want bad publicity. No freedom of speech or religion violated. No legal authority was stopping him from saying anything. He wasn’t stopped at all. The team just didn’t want to associate with that idea.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

This wasn't some "personal" opinion. This is actual biblical text. That is his religion. And the funny thing was, you had to dig into the text to find that homosexuality is a sin, because the Bible is specific here. All sin leads to death. Homosexuality isn't some "special" sin. No human being is above sin. No human being can stop sinning.

No Australia can do what it wishes. It is a sovereign nation. But that would never happen in the U. S.

We already had the case where the baker refused to make a cake for a gay couple. The supreme court ruled in his favor.

• Show All
    • 7 d ago

Except being gay is more like race. Nobody is firing him because of his belief. Nobody. That wasn’t about his belief, but about his comment.

• 7 d ago

You are simply about insisting upon something that never happened. My point is both are about stating a simple fact. The bible says homosexuality is a sin, that's a fact. As well as a gay person stating they are gay.

To fire someone because they actually cite text from the Bible violates freedom of religion. Something not supported by the courts in the U. S.

• Yeah it's getting hard for people to actually tell the truth about what you believe.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it's right. It's his religious beliefs. Is his message negative and potentially harmful? Maybe. However, the question is, how is his message being interpreted? Why is this a surprise? Do people what's in thew bible?

For example, a long time ago, I was asked about my views on gay marriage. I stated that: Based on my religious beliefs, homosexual behaviour is a sin, and I personally do not condone it. However, I believe that the government should be in no place to dictate how consenting adults decide to live their lives. What people do in the privacy of their lives is not my business, nor that of the government.

Follow up question: would I go to a gay wedding? My response was: I hate going to weddings generally, gay or otherwise.

Apparently, I ended up being labeled as a homophobe and that my beliefs help promote violence against LGBTQ people. I still don't understand how. Apparently, I have straight privilege. 🤷‍♂️

0|0
    0|0
    • 8 d ago

But that is homophobic, right? I mean I am labeled a homophobe.

I am not sure why I would be angry or pissed about the label. I don't approve of homosexuality.

I think the issue for me is when people try to convince me that I am wrong. No, I am not "wrong". I have a different point of view, they can label me as they wish. I get labeled all the time. I am actually labeled a "liberal" here at GaG.

It doesn't matter. I know what I am.

• No he's the victim of a Christianphobic with hunt. If he was a muslim, who most of believe the same thing during him would be called islamaphobic

0|0
    2|0
    • 4 d ago

Oh the poor persecuted bigots! Why can't the world hate along with them?

• 4 d ago

@JenSCDC I am not so naive that I do not see hatred of homosexuals. But that man did not post hatred. He posted a bible passage.

• 4 d ago

Exactly

Recommended myTakes