Rugby player fired from team because of anti-gay posts on social media. Do you agree with this?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rugby-australia-terminates-folaus-contract-052418442--spt.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/sport/israel-folau-spt-intl/index.html

He made the post on instagram.
He made the post on instagram.

The actual post in my opinion is not specifically anti-gay. It is anti-sin. Because he is right. The Bible specifically says;

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is external life through Christ Jesus."

I don't know much about Australia. And perhaps things work differently over there. But I don't think it is fair and certainly in American society, he would not be disciplined or even fined. Because that is considered to be freedom of religion.

His post;

"drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters," reading underneath, "Hell awaits you."

So if he was in America, he was already saying that Clinton, Trump, Newt Gringrich, Bill Barr, etc. were all going to hell if they did not repent. In the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. Along with all the other sins. The Bible says specifically that one must repent and ask for forgiveness. This isn't as problematic at Freedom of Speech. He didn't say something to just to insult people. He didn't specifically target gays. He didn't cite some conspiracy theory. This is actual text from the Bible. This is from several passages. It isn't something he made up.

So I just wanted to show folks here at GaG, the difference. But the larger question is, at what point does Freedom of Religion end? I would say if YOU CLAIM your religion sanctions violence and the murder of other people, then you can't be in a free society. You physically need to relocate.
  • Yes
  • No

38

Most Helpful Guys

• sure. i don't really care or have any strong opinion... harsh? yes. not because i think it's right, but because we're, in large part, going by American standards. if we were, i'd be inclined to say no based on the fact teams have signed murders, rapists, people who commit assault on others, etc. plus, I don't know the league's or team's policy in terms of hate speech or pre-agreed upon policy. without drawing assumptions, it could very well be stipulated that you can't say that stuff publicly... maybe not. and when you represent a company or league, you kind of have to be mindful of what you say.

• 5 d ago

The thing is that is not an American standard. I know of no court in America that would rule this was hate speech. The Supreme Court sided with the baker when it came to the same sex couple and baking the cake.

Religious freedom rights have been passed by many states. And although I may disagree with some of the interpretations of these laws, I wholeheartedly agree that simply stating religious texts that may include homosexuality as a sin is not homosexual discrimination. No law can make people accept homosexuality. Law can only compel equality for homosexuals. And even then that is limited as explained in the Supreme Court's decision.

• 5 d ago

i honestly don't get your point... i answered the question both ways. i said it's harsh, but i also acknowledge it's a different culture. i also understand how rules work. if you agree to pre-agreed rules and violate them, there are consequences... what, do you want someone to agree with you? this also isn't something i care much about nor will i lose sleep over. at the end of the day, assuming this dude is semi decent, he'll make a roster somewhere. if you just want people to agree with you, then sure. i agree with you.

• 5 d ago

Tommy, you know me by now. You don't have to get my point.

We are done.

• It's pretty awful. Have we gotten to the point where thinking certain thoughts means someone can't even earn a livelihood as an athlete?

• 9 d ago

I would rather just stay focused on what he posted. That is scripture. I could see if he advocated harm or murder. I can even see it if he talked about some personal disgust. But scripture says all sin is punishable by death. And homosexuality is seen as sin.

• 9 d ago

Well putting it that way, I can understand your view.

For me he was simply quoting the Bible. It wasn't like he was stated some personal view on homosexuality. The view that it is a sin comes from scripture. It is totally about religion. Not about some need or obsession to target homosexuals. And the text specifically says that.

Anyone who sins is going to hell. Not just gays.

• 5 d ago

Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah. He said his piece and got fired. Like @BrexitAteMyHamster said, it's business.

• 9 d ago

He quoted the Bible.

That wasn't "his piece".

• 8 d ago

I'm aware of where it's from. Saying his "piece" as in posting what he chose on social media.