Do you feel social media encourages bullying and cowardice?

I'll tell you, people are mean these days and I think social media plays a key role. Social media has given people license to feel free to say anything they want because their identity is no more than their profile picture. Celebrities probably fall victim to these Internet trolls more than anyone, but I’ve seen it between friends, too. People go online just to tear others apart, but they would never say anything so hateful face-to-face. Apparently, any insult goes when you’re just another Facebook member. Social media has made cowards out of people. I believe the rule, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all," still stands in the World Wide Web.
  • Yes, why?
  • No, why?

2758

Most Helpful Guys

• That's what some people do here too right? The only source to express their cowardice without having to face the consequences they would face irl. They probably don't know how their words may affect people.. that being said, it's better to leave those butthurts alone

• You're absolutely right. There is a ton of it on here, pretty much the worst I have seen. Sometimes I feel that anything posted by an "anon" should go through some kind of moderator, or put a limit on how many times it can be used per person and if they get flagged so many times they lose the option.

• People do post shit without being anon too. I'm not really against it though, being an anon. Some people do let out their true, genuine opinions being an anon, but it's getting common for this feature to be misused by many. I don't think they should limit it though.. if they (moderators) could just be more alert.. and stop any such user who misuses it for a specific number of times.

• I actually think schools are the problem. They let people say all kinds of messed up stuff without punishment, but if someone beats them up to stop them from spreading lies, or ruining their friendships, then the person that got physical gets punished and the person causing all the BS gets to keep saying stuff.
    There needs to be equal punishment for the people that say messed up stuff. It has been teaching people for many years that it is okay to say whatever they want about others and mess over them.

• This is a tough one, I do agree to an extent. The schools should definitely need to react faster and tougher when it comes to bullying, unfortunately there are too many parents who fight the issue because they can't accept the fact that their kid is a bully and unless there is paper/text evidence the "talk" gets thrown out as hearsay. I blame the parents, if they can't accept responsibility for their child's behavior and stop it then how can the school do anything about it?

• I haven't experienced that in our school system yet but I can see it happening. I'm sure a lot of these issues are different depending on what areas we all live in as well. I have only personally witnessed the school trying to handle the issue and the parents of the accused bully in complete denial and disregard for everything the school tries to implement disciplinary-wise.

• You work in schools too?
      I've worked in them for over 8 years in California. That's been my experiences here repeatedly, but I'm sure it's different in different districts.

Most Helpful Girls

• back in the day you either caught the gossip red handed, or you knew someone who ratted out the gossip. now a days social media allows an anonymity that is dangerous. when there is zero risk of being punished for bullying, people tend to be way meaner. in addition it allows more people to congregate and maintain a mob group mentality. it is easier to cc 50 friends or include in a group message. back in the day you literally had to go to each friend and say it...

finally, social media leaves bullying up in ink forever. back in the day a phone call or a note easily got lost or dissapeared. on line it gets sent from person to person in a second. and it is somewhere in some cloud... forever.

• I think one the reasons that some people are mean and nastier on the Internet has to do with the fact they are behind a screen. It's like a detachment from any immediate consequences. Like if you said something to someone real life that was upsetting or hurtful then you have an immediate reaction. So I think that's why most people usually restrain themselves and tend to think more when in personal contact with others, whereas online that it is kinda taken away and it gives some people the impression that they can say what they want and insult and hurt whoever they want.