Do you feel social media encourages bullying and cowardice?

Do you feel social media encourages bullying and cowardice?
I'll tell you, people are mean these days and I think social media plays a key role. Social media has given people license to feel free to say anything they want because their identity is no more than their profile picture. Celebrities probably fall victim to these Internet trolls more than anyone, but I’ve seen it between friends, too. People go online just to tear others apart, but they would never say anything so hateful face-to-face. Apparently, any insult goes when you’re just another Facebook member. Social media has made cowards out of people. I believe the rule, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all," still stands in the World Wide Web.
  • Yes, why?
    Vote A
  • No, why?
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|3

Most Helpful Guys

• That's what some people do here too right? The only source to express their cowardice without having to face the consequences they would face irl. They probably don't know how their words may affect people.. that being said, it's better to leave those butthurts alone

1|0
    0|0
    • You're absolutely right. There is a ton of it on here, pretty much the worst I have seen. Sometimes I feel that anything posted by an "anon" should go through some kind of moderator, or put a limit on how many times it can be used per person and if they get flagged so many times they lose the option.

• People do post shit without being anon too. I'm not really against it though, being an anon. Some people do let out their true, genuine opinions being an anon, but it's getting common for this feature to be misused by many. I don't think they should limit it though.. if they (moderators) could just be more alert.. and stop any such user who misuses it for a specific number of times.

• I actually think schools are the problem. They let people say all kinds of messed up stuff without punishment, but if someone beats them up to stop them from spreading lies, or ruining their friendships, then the person that got physical gets punished and the person causing all the BS gets to keep saying stuff.
    There needs to be equal punishment for the people that say messed up stuff. It has been teaching people for many years that it is okay to say whatever they want about others and mess over them.

1|0
    0|0
    • This is a tough one, I do agree to an extent. The schools should definitely need to react faster and tougher when it comes to bullying, unfortunately there are too many parents who fight the issue because they can't accept the fact that their kid is a bully and unless there is paper/text evidence the "talk" gets thrown out as hearsay. I blame the parents, if they can't accept responsibility for their child's behavior and stop it then how can the school do anything about it?

• Show All
    • I haven't experienced that in our school system yet but I can see it happening. I'm sure a lot of these issues are different depending on what areas we all live in as well. I have only personally witnessed the school trying to handle the issue and the parents of the accused bully in complete denial and disregard for everything the school tries to implement disciplinary-wise.

• You work in schools too?
      I've worked in them for over 8 years in California. That's been my experiences here repeatedly, but I'm sure it's different in different districts.

Most Helpful Girls

• back in the day you either caught the gossip red handed, or you knew someone who ratted out the gossip. now a days social media allows an anonymity that is dangerous. when there is zero risk of being punished for bullying, people tend to be way meaner. in addition it allows more people to congregate and maintain a mob group mentality. it is easier to cc 50 friends or include in a group message. back in the day you literally had to go to each friend and say it...

finally, social media leaves bullying up in ink forever. back in the day a phone call or a note easily got lost or dissapeared. on line it gets sent from person to person in a second. and it is somewhere in some cloud... forever.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think one the reasons that some people are mean and nastier on the Internet has to do with the fact they are behind a screen. It's like a detachment from any immediate consequences. Like if you said something to someone real life that was upsetting or hurtful then you have an immediate reaction. So I think that's why most people usually restrain themselves and tend to think more when in personal contact with others, whereas online that it is kinda taken away and it gives some people the impression that they can say what they want and insult and hurt whoever they want.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 56

• You basically said it. People can hide behind the anonymity and sling whatever they want, and generally people will act as poorly as they can get away with. People just aren't as naturally good natured as we all want to believe.

Also is your real name Branwenn? Cause that's beautiful lol

1|0
    0|0
  • *claps*👏👏👏
    Yup, I agree with you
    Cyber bullieing is easy, cowards use it a lot.
    I am happy that there are no one would try to do that on G@G (in my questions or takes), I would be all nice and kind but they would just give up on trying to bully me (cuz I go to pm and deal with them), I actually would stand up to people here.
    It is not cool, Just be nice and kind.

1|0
    0|0
    • I just ignore or block them, I've certainly dealt with my fair share. In my experience they seem to go away a lot faster if I just don't feed them. I don't see why it's so hard to be civil.

• Show All
    • I don't do it right away but if given the reason I will. Some people are just too crazy to deal with.

• I understand that
      Well, if you ever had one of those, just tell me, it is like fun and games for me 😉

• In a manner of speaking yes but not really
    It is easy to be insulting and disrespectful to people online because there isn't the human connection that empathy flourishes in
    It also gives easy platforms for people to vent their bile near enough without consequences
    Often people would not say those things in person but they say them online so it is inside them I don't think social media made them that way it just gives them a way to express it

1|0
    0|0
    • I think you make a lot of great points, very well stated. :)

• Bullies have always existed. What social media has created is a generation of thin skinned, overly sensitive kids who can't handle people saying mean things to them. That coupled with a society that forms a protective bubble around them ensuring they never get exposed to difficult things like dissenting opinions or criticism. What you're left with is an adult who shocked to find the greater world can be a mean place full of mean people that don't coddle them.

1|1
    0|0
  • Sad but true. Lots of online talk i s things you would never say otherwise if in presence. They also say things that untrue just to see what they can get away with. Often it is improper and especially since they have no back bone that would allow me to be there.
    Verbally, saying things to hurt feelings and provoke responses is just plan bullying.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd say that it doesn't "encourage" bullying, but it definitely serves as an outlet for those who want to. People feel more comfortable (if that's even good word choice) bullying over social media because of how easy it is to hide and drop their morals

1|0
    0|0
  • no not specifically but it can provide an outlet for them to continue their toxic ways, thus can also give them a voice with which to attack others...
    freedom of speech has pro's and con's to every aspect of life
    and same goes for a variety of personalities too

if you are inherently kind it will reflect on how you use such an outlet. as is the same thing if you are inherently a bully...

1|0
    0|0
  • It could be used as a tool sure, but no I don't think it encourages it. It's easier over social media because it's not a direct form of confrontation which is why a lot of people will talk smack a lot more, try to hit on people way more, and try to be someone they aren't. It's kinda like a gun conversation, do you feel guns encourages violence or encourages protection? Social media is simply a tool for people

1|1
    0|0
  • It's not that different. It's just a lot of people simply can't stand to hear anything remotely close to the truth. They all want some kind of validation or platitude. And the whole social media thing is really all just fake, pretty much just LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!
    Consider just skipping all that and develop your actual face-to-face relationships IRL. You'll get WAY more out of it. I promise.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because so much of modern bullying is through technology and the Internet. You don't have to be brave to be mean to someone, you can just type whatever you want and face almost no consequences.

I get screamed at every single day when I play an online video game and its just really pathetic how those people are.

0|1
    0|0
  • Social media doesn't encourages bullying but it is a very easy tool to do these stuff without even getting noticed

I have seen people blackmailed by fake profiles coz they said something which they should not have said

It could have happened in real life but its difficult to make fool of people in real life as compared to social media

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but I've read mostly teens doing it. It's really sad though when the few times you see adults doing it too. Also yes it is a place where cowards live. Less consequence on the internet means people can get away with more stuff. Plus the whole posting as anonymous makes it even more dangerous.

1|0
    0|0
  • When you force interaction, differences of opinions, and no repercussions, yes its basically the ingredients for a bullying cake.

1|0
    0|0
  • It does a little bit. I think it encourages cowardice because I know some of these people would not be saying the same thing in real life that they would online

1|1
    0|0
  • Social media definitely promotes bullying and the people who do say it 90% of the time would not say the same thing in person, but you should also learn to not take the things people say to heart. It's the age that we live in. Adapt.

1|0
    0|0
  • It gives people a shield of sorts to say what they want without fear of retaliation let’s say for the sake of argument I called a woman a cunt or a bitch and minimized my window their would be no possibility of immediate retaliation like getting kicked in the nuts or punched in the throat or face so some people take advantage of this fact and sometimes hide behind anonymity like cowardly children

1|0
    0|0
  • Not just that, though, "reality" TV, by showing some of the basest behaviour of people, lets other people think it's acceptable and normal.

I've never understood people who video themselves committing crimes, though.

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely- allows people to hide behind hidden profiles - I have nothing to hide. I just am to ignorant to take the time to figure out if this app really has a way to put a profile bio. 😎

1|0
    0|0
  • That's the same as saying cars increase head-on collisions.
    Social media is a vehicle

1|0
    0|0
  • Social media just gives people a mask they can decorate according to their will, and hide behind. But people who are bullies are assholes in real life too, and are either also bullies in real life, or want to be ones but dont have the balls

1|0
    0|0
  • Social media doesn't encourage bullying, I mean there are a bunch of anti-bullying campaigns on social media. Billy's will be billy's until they grow out of it or until they get bullied enough to make them change their ways... Social media is no more than an other place to do it...

0|0
    0|0
  • I tell people way worse things in real life. In a group of men everyone insults everyone. Celebrities get paid for the lime light so it's something that comes with the territory. If you make money in business you got haters too.

0|1
    0|0
  • if people acted in arms' reach as they do online, they would be punched in the face.

1|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't encourage anything. But it does remove the empathy and humanity from interactions, causing people to expose their true natures.

1|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't encourage it, but it gives bullies and cowards a sense of safety in anonymity, and a sense of community with other online bullies and cowards.

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel that people that by not doing enough to prevent it in the first place, social media and other media formats and online services passively encourage bullying.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it encourages it but I feel like it's made easier. Someone can say what ever they want from behind a screen and have no repercussions because they're not doing it in person.

1|0
    0|0
  • Social media doesn't encourage it, it's not alive it's just code in a program. I think a lot of people can be emotionally manipulated easily and the others are just trash people.

1|0
    0|0
  • People can hide behind a curtain of electronic anonymity so are more prone to say stupid, hurtful things.

1|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't encourage it but it does provide the anonymity needed to do it without reprocussions. That's why telling someone where they live via looking up their IP address makes them act super nice. Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 25

• human beings will always come up with ways to create ingroups at the expense of another person or people being the "outgroup." In order to feel close, we need to feel far. Technology is just another way. If all technology goes away, we will continue to draw mean cartoons and secret symbols on rocks and throw them at each other.

1|0
    0|0
  • Troll culture is a bit glorified so it encourages mean behavior. I can appreciate the humor but not the glorification of it. Actual bullying is easier on the computer and makes it easier for them to get away with cause its "on a screen"
    The kids need to be handed well by adults or they will grow up thinking it's okay to harass someone when they feel like it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because people gain a ton of confidence from behind a screen that they otherwise wouldn’t show in the real world. There are also people who trivialize this behavior by saying stuff like: “It’s words.. on a computer screen. Get over it. lol.” Which only contributes to the issue.

1|0
    0|0
  • GAG alone has numerous trolls. I can't imagine how much more cyber bullies the entire internet world has.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course! The bully’s don’t have to answer to their crimes. If they get banned they can just make a new account🤷🏾‍♀️

2|0
    0|0
    • That drives me more crazy than anything. There has to a be a way for these sites to permanently ban someone, if not there should be.

• Block IP address. That is hard to do though and I believe few sites have that capability. Even then they can reappear via phone tablet, or any internet connected device.
      I’m not exactly sure if IP address is linked to your computer or wireless network though🤔

• Absolutely. The female haters online and weird men online wouldn't be brave enough to say shit to me in real life. I'm definitely not the person to take anyone's shit.

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm the same, I don't understand the amount of time and effort these people waste creating new profiles and such just to do the same things over and over again.

• It doesn’t encourage it, it just makes it easier. Encouraging something is actively telling someone they can/should do it, which, social media doesn’t. It does, however, make it easier to bully people.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's much easier to humiliate someone online than it is in real life. You don't have to deal with as negative repercussions if people don't jump on the bandwagon of bullying you can delete the post and hopefully forget about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it encourages it as websites allow you to block people like that. In real life it would be harder to get rid of a bully. However, lots of people have more courage online than in real life.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a breeding ground for trolls and keyboard warriors. Most of the stuff you KNOW people wouldn't say this stuff to you in person. Today I was told that my stomach didn't look good ( I've had 3 children) you just know no one would dare say it to my face x

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't understand why people feel the need to be that way. Unreal. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but you are right, they wouldn't dare say it to you in person.

• Show All
    • WOW!!! People...

• would dare say it in ur face :)
      but why should i do that? i think you look fine :)

• There are a lot of trolls and in other apps & websites. the worst virtual world is IMVU is dramatic people. In college, one girl threaded me to just because I was in my first relationship. it did end up fail.

0|0
    0|0
  • People can hide behind screens. They can also hide behind backs, but eventually the news'll get to the person they were talking sht about

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because you can be anonymous, therefore think that you won't have to face your actions

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, especially when the internet is anonymous for the most part.

1|0
    0|0
  • In a way I suppose it gives people the comfort of being shielded by anonymity. But at the same time I don't think social media is to blame. The root of the problem is that these people often come from unstable homes, and take out their anger and insecurities on other people as a distraction from their own pain. The intent of social media is not to provide bullies with comfort and confidence - they just happen to abuse social media in that way. People have always been cowards. Before social media, people would write each other anonymous emails. And before that, anonymous mail, or mean things etched into or written on objects. Bullying has always existed and will continue to exist as long as we put the blame onto scapegoats, like social media, instead of tackling the real issue, which is mental health.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s not social media that’s the issue it’s the people that’s on social media who makes it into an issue. Celebrities deal with the hate on and off the internet and that’s the life they signed up for or the life their parents signed up for. You can decide to go off the radar and live a private life away from L. A or Hollywood.

Bullying didn’t start from social media it’s been around since the beginning of time from people who has been bullied so they bully others because of their own insecurities. I remember in high school instagram wasn’t too popular and I did not have one at the time. (Sorta kinda)

0|0
    0|0
    • One of my classmates she would tease me every time she saw me for whatever reason and turned out she was only jealous. Finally my junior year of high school she switched schools and I thanked God because the day of me fighting her felt near but now far. Bullies aren’t creating robotically they only transferred their bad habits to a small realm called social media and their words spread like wild fire from differ pages.

• Social media encourages mass-thinking instead of encouraging individuals for individual self-reflection.

0|0
    0|0
  • Social media has nothing to do with someone's behavior

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because like GAG most times we are all anon.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cause they only say something on the internet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Truly yes

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes the amount of people faking and show off on social medias is very high in today experienced , this is why I don't use Facebook or anything

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because nowadays people only have to hide behind their phones to say whatever they want about someone n can’t even say it to someone’s face

1|0
    0|0
  • Because people can say things in safety of distance and online. People make a lot of judgments based on very little facts or information online too.

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah, its funny how people have no problem talking shit to others online, but if they had to do it in person, they wouldn't have the balls to say one thing to somebody. so definitely demonstrates a lot of cowardice in my opinion

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes