What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?

Because technically, these are both using a laser, it's just that the ACOG Red Dot Sight uses a piece of glass to "Bend" the laser into position while the laser sight doesn't.

I know my description isn't perfect but I am not an expert in this and won't pretend to be.

I may be mixing things up with a Reflex Sight but if I am then feel free to explain in the comment section below.
  • What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?I know about the Red Dot Sight
  • What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?I know about the Laser Sight
  • What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?I know about Reflex Sights (They look just like a Red Dot!)
    Vote C
  • What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?I only know about Iron Sights
    Vote D
  • What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?I only know about Scopes
    Vote E
  • What is the difference between a Red-Dot Sight and a Laser Sight?I know about a different type of sights
    Vote F
Who wants MHO?

14

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• Red-dot sights are like a heads up display. Where as the laser site projects a laser as the red dot.

No one can see your red dot. Everyone can see the laser. So it an give you away. But the laser will allow for the shooter to aim from the hip. And it can be used as a psychological weapon when the laser is put on a person's body. They don't like it.

It depends on how and what you are using them for. And cost. Lasers tend to be cheaper.

• Very helpful, to know that others can't see the red dot but hip shooting makes sense, thank you very much :)

• That is amazing! Truly admirable I must say :)

• At least call of duty got this one correct. This just confirmed it for me.

• Thermal scope uses infrared emitted rays all around , the recivers will respond to the specific length of the rays hence they can determine the heat of the object as if an object has higher temperature, it's infrared rays have more frequency and are stronger hence making the object to glow.