Does it bother you when you see everybody and their brother on cell phones when you're out and about?

Like for example. Family of four eating dinner all on phones, then the person in nearby areas see this and they start pulling our their phones too. Addiction.

2|4

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, I am kind of annoyed when I see that, especially during social events.

In public though I don't really mind. Back when there weren't smartphones, people were minding their own business as well, so I don't think it's a huge difference.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah no cameras, yet living life through a screen that they'll never even watch later anyways. Status symbol

• To be honest, as much as people complain about other people on their phones, I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a restaurant and see the entire table on their phones, I think some people just exaggerate lol.

1|0
    0|0
    • Not exaggerating AT ALL. I've seen it happen all the time, whenever I go out.

Starbucks... group of girls all on their phones.
      Cafe... group of girls all on their phones.
      Sushi restaurant... group of guys all on their phones

etc etc

• Show All
    • Nope, I eat out and go to cafes quite a bit with friends, at least where I live people don’t really go in their phones whilst in company

• Here in NC they do

Most Helpful Guys

• It ironic that the phone was invented to get people talking but it’s the opposite now. Lol.

0|2
    0|0
    • Sometimes I feel like places should have call jamming, instead of free wifi

• I kinda grew up with cell phones and it really only feels rude to me when you’re clearly spending one on one time together like over a meal at a restaurant or something. Other than that it doesn’t matter to me

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Yeah. What's the point of being out then?
    My family and I all went out to dinner together not long ago and there was a group of teenagers sitting at the dinner table together, and my mom thought it was so cute to see teenagers together at an actual restaurant I stead of fast food and such, but they were all on there phones. When I am out with a group of people I am there to socialize with them not with everyone not there.

2|1
    0|0
  • I think its rude unless we are in a group with more than 2 people and I have people who can keep my occupied while one person leaves to take a cell phone. If it is somebody I don't know well - I will forgive them since they obviously have people who are more important to than me who they only met once or twice but if it is somebody I have a long history of friendship with I will not be pleased if they take a cell phone call during their meeting me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea it does bother me. Phones off the table when I am having a get together with friends and fam. Mutual respect. Unless we are all waiting for a call from one of our family if they are running late. Other than that, no phones when it's fam time

1|1
    0|0
  • It is rude and disrespectful. It annoys me a lot. Luckily none of my family members or friends does that.

1|3
    0|0
  • Yeah it’s a bit disappointing.. I would love it if the opposite sexes or even just random people came up to each other just to talk and it wasn’t deemed as creepy. I feel like it was more socially acceptable back when smartphones didn’t exist.

0|1
    0|0
  • It actually really bothers me. I notice it so much nowadays! Especially when I see a couple on a date and both on their phones 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • No. Just because my phone is usually more interesting than the people around me.

0|0
    0|1
    • Very intriguing response, id actually would want to know what you are about, instead of typing away.

• It does. Like taaaaaalk to each other! Fuck your phones. Social media makes people more insensitive, and lack empathy.

0|3
    0|0
  • It bothers me.. usually if I’m on mine I’m looking for something to rouse some conversation. Not just mindlessly staring at my phone in company🙄

3|0
    0|0
  • Sometime but older people (50+) are learning how to use the internet and, by this point, our phones might as well be part of us since its a better way to communicate with family and friends and strangers.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah but there's other people in the room

• Show All
    • He's saying when families go out to, for example, have dinner together, and everyone is on their phone instead of enjoying the moment and paying attention to their family. Jeez

• @inmensus yes finally someone who gets it! Lets PM sometime. You and and I are on the same wavelength it seems..

• Yeah it makes me sad. I’m always the one asking my friends to put their phones away, and they always get angry. I just don’t understand it

1|1
    1|0
  • Idc. You are your phone right now asking this question lol hypocrite

0|1
    0|1
  • Yes, especially when people text across the table from each other.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. It's there life so why would I care how they spend it

0|0
    0|1
  • Nope. I’m on my phone when I go eat with my parents. They don’t care

0|0
    0|1
  • of course is totally upseting and lack of respect

0|3
    0|0
  • Yes!

0|2
    0|0
    • Thankfully its something we can finally agree on. Come on lets PM again. It won't let me.

• Show All
    • Ok. Unfollow me then follow me

• I’ll get notified

• Nope

0|0
    0|1
  • No, none of my business

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes, interaction isn't as strong as it used to be

1|2
    0|0
  • Not really. My boyfriend and I sometimes are on our phones during meals together. We find funny stuff to show each other or read news articles to each other.

0|0
    1|1

What Guys Said 26

• Yes, when they are loud on it at grocery stores, libraries, or movie theaters. Once there was a guy talking on his cell phone while walking down a library isle. As if that wasn't bad enough, he didn't pay attention to where he was going and opened the emergency exist door, which caused a blaring siren to wail throughout the library.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always have my phone on hand. We often show each other links and videos (and then talk about them).

1|1
    0|0
    • Exactly! The phones can be used as a catalyst for conversation.

• Show All
    • OMG you can be so dramatic! These devices are so useful, the utility is damn near endless!

It sounds insane to want to go back to the days of flip-phones.

• @Prof_Don nah just limit use

• It is disrespectful , I don't date anymore , but hypothetically , if I did and my date kept being glued to her phone , I would quietly get up and just walk out on them. Also eejits that never look where they are going as they are constantly glued to a zombie-phone , instead of having situational awareness !! Road accidents waiting to happen and easy targets for thieves too.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, it does. I'm not against using phones for communication. However, I am against people using them excessively - whether it's communication or entertainment. If you want to communicate with someone, then call them up on the phone or meet in person. That's the way it used to be back in the old days. People have too much instant gratification these days. There IS such a thing as having too much of something - INCLUDING healthy things.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really, just the way of the world. Don't get me wrong there are moments where it is either inappropriate or just down right rude to be burying in your phone but denying the march of progress and the people that march hunched over their phones along with it is it's own kind of hubris

0|0
    0|0
  • I just chuckle to my self, i seen a group of "friends" in work who sit around at a table all on phones... best of friends clearly

0|1
    0|0
  • I saw a married couple about 3 months ago they never even hardly talked to each other instead they just looked at their cell phones when out to eat with each other

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Why the hell would someone else's life that doesn't interfere with mine bother me? Am I that disgusting? Well no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually it doesn't bother me because i am more on understanding. If i bother people because i am using my phone then they got problems not me. I'm not interested at small talks.

0|0
    0|1
    • So if i'm not on my phone, what do you want me to do? Sit quietly and stare at everyone?

• Doesn't bother me. I look down on it a bit, but it doesn't unsettle me. I just know that won't be my family.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup, angers me to oblivion. I see girls, all the time, hanging out with eachother and every single one of them are on their phones. Or I see a girl on a date and she is on her phone instead of interacting with the person she is on the date with. Or people crossing the street on their phone instead of paying attention.

People are seriously addicted to their phones and social media. They can't even go out with people without being on their phones.

I see this especially with women. They're truly obsessed. Whenever I am out with my guy friends, they pay attention to me, not their phone. But when I see girls out with eachother, they're all on their phones.

0|0
    0|0
    • Don’t get me started on these girls 😂 Count how long they spend on taking selfies during a game they’d have paid to see
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngt1JK3DyOU

• Show All
    • @StephenCF Agreed. The Victorian Era had a lot of intelligent people and everyone held the same sacred values. People cared about their appearance. You could go over to someone's house and enjoy tea and discuss current events. Now it's so hard to just get in contact with someone. People just wanna talk via text messenger.

• @InTimoreDei And did you notice that 3 of the great Victorian thinkers all lived at the same time at one stage? And that they were all called Charles? And that they all had the initials CD? Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll), Charles Dickens & Charles Darwin 😉 You’re welcome!

• Yeah so many people don't even talk to each other. You see that on here with all the posts about texting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really because at the end of the day its everyone that does that, even the people complaining about it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah that's why I don't have a smart phone of any kind, because they're unnecessary bullshit.

0|1
    0|0
  • That doesn’t bother me, as long as the people at the table are talking to each other.

With my family, the cell phones are often used as a catalyst FOR us talking at the table. Such as us playing a 2player game of pool or mini-golf, or looking up memes or news stories and passing around the phone to show each other.

So there’s no need to always assume phones out as “phone addiction”.

We can be entertaining or informing each other using these phones, just as much as someone can be buried into their Instagram feed and taking constant selfies of themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • family idc but friends I ask them to put away or most likely the friends I have won't even do it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's ridiculous but we can't stop what people do.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes people are zombie's

0|1
    0|0
  • Ugh. Society is so pathetic now.

0|1
    1|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • It bothers me even when I do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t care about others when I’m out

0|0
    0|0
  • This isn't true for people I know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes
    Alottttt

0|0
    0|0
  • this happen because there nothing happens in there lives it's the same mundane tasks so there nothing to talk about get up go to work and then comeback nobody does anything interesting so they look to social media for the fix of whatever there looking for comedy, action, and so on this is what happens when there is no more free time people look for entertainment online. and the world is pretty plain boring and repetitive well where i live it is aka toronto disgusting place don't never come here to meet people they are polite but they want nothing to do with you 95% introverts 5% extraverts it way to mix to many different type of people

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really pay attention to other tables other than my own. If it's just me and one other person it would bother me unless the conversation was about a certain topic and then the other person or myself use our phone to look up what we were talking about. If I was out on a date with a girl and she was zoned out on her phone then I'd just leave. If it's a huge group then I don't think it'll be as big of an issue if there's one person or so that is zoned out and the other ones that are on their phones are using them as a way to bring up new conversations.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes