My check engine light is flashing and car is shaking?

My check engine light is flashing, and my car is shaking, but my car slowed down to a regular temperature after I put antifreeze into the radiator. Why is my car still shaking? I have a Honda Accord 2000

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

What Guys Said 11

• Why did you put antifreeze in? Was it running hot?
    What's causing the shaking? Is it the engine itself?
    Does it shake sitting at idle?
    Does it only do it while driving?

If the engine itself is shaking then don't drive it. If the check engine light came on, there should be a code set in the computer. That's something you can read yourself, but finding out how to do it without a special code reader might be a little difficult.

If it can be driven, most auto parts stores will check the code for free. Or if you have any mechanic friends they might have a reader. Even a lot of home mechanics have them since they are cheap.

If it can't be driven, you can do it yourself. YouTube should have some videos showing how to check the code. It's somewhat different for every car, but usually there is a connector that you have to jump two pins with a wire (like a paper clip). Then there will be a process of starting the car and letting the computer take control.

After a while a light on the dashboard will flash a code. Like it will blink three times for a 3. Then a short pause, then blink the next number. The codes will be 2-3 digits long. Then a longer pause to start a second code if there is one. Have some paper and pencil ready to write the numbers down (or record it and count later). Once you have the codes, there are several places online that can tell you what the code means.

0|0
    0|0
  • What my mechanic told me is that if the check engine light is flashing that's an urgent issue and you should stop driving it as soon as possible and get it fixed. If it's on, but not flashing, that's not as urgent but should be checked relatively soon.

What you've got sounds pretty serious. I'd be concerned that the engine is damaged. If it was my car I wouldn't drive it any more until a mechanic determines the problem and fixes it.

0|1
    0|0
  • It can be a lot of things. If you can get the codes read it will narrow it down.

Some common things that trigger a check engine light are the O2 sensors, loose gas cap, emissions leak, misfiring, dirty or old spark plugs, low coolant.

The engine shaking could be a bad engine mount. On such an old car that would be a good bet.

0|0
    0|0
  • that sounds serious! sorry i'm no help. get to a station asap

0|1
    0|0
  • Low coolant has nothing to do with a vibration.
    Don’t have a clue what it could be from your description, but it sounds like something you should get checked immediately

0|0
    0|0
    • 5d

And FYI, a flashing check engine light means shut it off and get a tow

• Sounds like you have a miss, take it to a mechanic and have them check the ignition system, and the plugs, wires, and distributor.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds to me like your ball bearings are going out if it is shaking but everything in your car is sensored

0|0
    0|0
  • You probaky melted your vaules so its not timed properly

0|0
    0|0
  • Exactly same thing today in my work Van.
    Problem with the hose pipe

0|0
    0|0
  • Car is old dude. Grandpa ready to die.

0|0
    0|1
  • Take it to mechanic

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes