Do you find it easier to initiate a conversation online?

I've noticed I find it very easy to approach someone in person and talk to him/her, but when it comes to initiating a conversation with someone online. I don't even message or call someone first very often. I hardly contact someone first. Whether they're my real life friends or online friends.

It makes some friends think I'm not interested in talking to them or I don't miss them, but I actually miss them and wait for them to contact me first, lol. As I feel awkward/shy when I have to contact someone, plus I don't want to disturb anyone. Many said it's okay to message them and how they would actually like it if I inititate, but I did it very few times.

Do you find it easier to initiate a conversation online or do you find it easier to approach someone in real life and talk?

1|2

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• For me it’s so much easier online. In person there are so many nerves involved since you’re actually watching the other person’s reaction to what you’re saying.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Ah, I see. :)
      I actually find it easier as I like to see people amd hear their voice. It helps me understand the mood they're in, so it tells me whether they want to talk or not and if they do want to talk, what topic they'd be interested in talking about.

• 6d

Yeah you definitely make a point there. So many misunderstandings can be made when you’re not there to actually hear and see how someone feels.

• 6d

Exactly! :)

• It’s much easier in person for me, online I usually wait for other persons to write me too 😅

That’s probably why we sometimes don’t chat for a day 🤔

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

See!! This is why we experience a big pause very often before we talk again. As you wait for people to message you first and I wait for you and others to message me first! Lol.

Yup!

• online is faceless and easy.

in person you have to be comfie with yourself before you can hold a good conversation.

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Ah, I see.

• 6d

While I like online, i have a strong personality, know who I am, and tbh, I am the one that usually starts a conversation, even asking someone out on a date!

• 6d

Wow!! That's really amazing :)

• Have you heard of a trust advance? It's a way to get around your difficulty.

Follow me, and I will PM you about it

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

I don't think I've ever heard of it before.

• Show All
    • 6d

Aww, that's very beautiful. :)

• 6d

Right? I love it

• I think it's about the same for me. If I want to I can talk to almost anyone pretty easily.

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Damn, I guess we have more things in common than I thought! 😂

• Show All
    • 6d

Oops! Well, that's awkward! 😂

Awww, at least it passed. I used to be shy as a teen and turned super shy everytime I had a crush on someone and he attempted to talk to me. I am no longer that shy, but I still do get shy to be around someone had a crush on.

• 6d

Yeah, it used to be a struggle for me to get past having dialed the number, even if it was to my best friends, I just always felt like I was intruding on their lives XD

Well, I bet it was easier to read than some girl I've encountered at least. One of them is extremely confident and popular with everyone, socializes with every guy, but goes mum, awkward, clumsy and avoiding when I'm around. I can't tell if she likes me or can't stand me XD

• yes becoz there is no barriers to contact someone online like there is offline. i prefer talking face-face but when that ain't possible, online can be a good relief.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is easier but i find conversations in person to be more enjoyable when its with someone I'm confortable with talking to

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Yes, talking in person is more pleasant and memorable experience :)

• I find it a lot easier to talk online because I can't see there face I just don't panic when talking to people online but in person I do

1|0
    0|0
  • Online is 10x easier.. no pressure.. and you dont have to worry about seeing their reaction its its weird/stupid.

1|0
    0|0
  • Online for sure. I'm really shy and I'm used to be rejected, so if I talk to someone online I feel more comfortable.
    Plus, people I met online are always more interesting and more easier to talk to, than people I meet in real life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes i find it easier to initiate conversation online.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's easier to start online, but once I'm comfortable with someone in person is always better since there's so much one can't pick up on from just text

0|0
    0|0
  • I find a stranger in person easier, than a stranger on line, as I have said many times I'm an eye contact person anyone that avoids eye contact with me I soon close them off

0|0
    0|0
  • I have Always been Outgoing and Friendly But I Admit it is Easier and More Convenient to "Initiate a Convo Online."xx

1|0
    0|0
  • Online is easier for me but I face so much racism n hate. . . That I took my pic down

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Whoa.. I'm really sorry to hear that. :/

• Show All
    • 6d

I don't talk to people in messages now.

• 6d

Alright I want to say goodbye to u. I'm strongly thinking to leave this site. Either deactivate or won't come here again I guess. So if I annoyed, n ever broke your hurt forgive me. I can't stay here

• I'm pretty much the same way. I'm much more talkative in person and even more likely to talk to a stranger. I rarely message people that I don't know on here.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely, it's what I've done all my life. You can think before your answer, you can don't have to think about your facial expression or your hand gestures, you start with a clean slate, you're like any other person, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah for sure.

Ik it's proll unbelievable but I'm super shy irl and I won't approach people if I have a choice at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah my autism makes it hard for me to do that unless I do not care about first impressions and just want to mess with people.

1|0
    0|0
  • Real life is much easier for me. I don't like online chatting that much and I can't talk to someone online for long.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a tad easier for sure. However, when emotions are involved (even here) you start overanalyse and get caught on the wrong footing! 👋

0|0
    0|0
  • I find it easy both ways, but I also have a ridiculously outgoing personality so I can pretty much talk to anybody anywhere.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not just text your friends an old school text and ask them "What's up?". Maybe they are waiting for you to text first too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I do, especially if there's some sort of personal bio about them, or you see them comment or whatever on something and then there's a topic for you straight away.

In person you know nothing about them so have to be good socially to try and get a conversation going.

That being said in person maybe they're at uni, or getting coffee or whatever and you can comment on that straight away which can be somewhat easy.

I feel much more comfortable online, than in person. I RARELY ever initiate conversation in person, if ever. I can somewhat initiate in person, though still barely do that either.

0|0
    0|0
  • I run out of things to say really quick. I require an hour of planning for 1 minutes of talk.
    I'm better at face to face.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, but like in real life it depends on the individual

1|0
    0|0
  • It's easier for me to make conversation online, yes

0|0
    0|0
  • yes... also why not use a poll feature for this question

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes i have no problem... pm me no hother here. at work 12 hours overnight in sn empty prison just setting here

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really no. I find it quite easy to talk to new people in real life

0|0
    0|0
  • Familiars, yes, online and offline

Strangers, no online, yes offline.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah that's one of the most effective manners in initiating a conversation

0|1
    0|0
  • Only on this app where the purpose is to give an opinion. Otherwise in person is easier.

0|0
    0|0
  • Much easier. In real life I wouldn't even talk to any of you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea, being a shy person it's easier conversating when you don't haft to get your eyes involved..

0|0
    0|0
  • I find it way easier to start a conversation with a girl in person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Online is easier
    She can't slap me lulz

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Lol! She can send you the slapping GiF though 😂

• Show All
    • 6d

I got carried away I just wanted to check how it works in threads.
      lolz you haven't done anything to deserve a slap... yet 😋🤣

• 6d

Lmao! Glad you decided to try it on my thread. I feel honoured 😒 lol!

Phew! Thank you, I guess o. O 😂

• Yeah. I'm too shy in real life.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Aww, I used to be shy, too. I overcame it 6-7 years ago. I always had a soft spot for shy guys, but neither they nor I took a step, so nothing ever happened. Those memories now makes me smile and I think shy guys and girls are cute. Now when I see a shy girl, I am usually the one initiating the conversation in person, lol. :)

• yeah way easier ♡
    but I can do both

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do

1|0
    0|0
  • People intiate more with me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh absolutely.

0|0