What is your favorite operating system?

Please add your details of opinion on which distributions or editions.
  • Windows
  • MacOS/iOS
  • Linux
    Vote C
  • Android
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

29

Most Helpful Guys

• Zorin OS, For one computer
    SUSE OS, For another
    OpenBSD, for my sever machine
    Windows 3.1 on a 1994 laptop

• 5d

Win3.1! Amazing! beats my XP machine for being aged!

• 5d

Was that the games box? I recall reading about something like that.

• 5d

@juicyjessie the the game systems org. Box from 1979

27
  • Linux. Ubuntu 16.04. It is not the latest LTS, but it has a lot of niggles sorted out, whereas 18.04 is still so buggy, with loads of "features" ! LOL!

You can stick Windows where the sun don't shine!

• 5d

Are you a computer dork?

• 5d

@cavmanier You can run it as a live disk, so you can try it out without installing. It can also be run from a USB stick.

• 5d

That's a good point that I forgot about.

• Android. I wish they'd make a desktop version, but Google decided not to.
    They chose Chrome OS instead. But that's still better than standard Linux or Windows.

• I have Windows 10 and MacOS.

They function perfectly fine for what I use it for. No complaints so far with either.

• Depends on what I'm doing. My primary desktop machine is for gaming; I run Windows 10 on that. My work laptop has to run Microsoft Office with a bunch of plug-ins so that's Windows 10 as well. I have a server at home running Ubuntu 18.04, a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian and a router running pfSense.

At work, I have a virtual machine host running Ubuntu 18.04. It runs 7 virtual machines and all of them run Ubuntu 18.10 except for one, which runs openSUSE Tumbleweed.

At heart, I'm a Beastie. I ran FreeBSD on my desktop for almost a decade. Then I became a Debian guy. But let's face it: nobody actually runs either of those in production much any more. So at some point I gave up and started using Ubuntu. In a previous job, I had to use RHEL a lot, but I try to suppress those painful memories.

• I have both Windows10 and Linux-ubuntu systems. Linux is more for work and Windows is more for gaming.

• Favourite for what?
    Linux is a great embedded development platform. I normally use ubuntu lts at work but now they've stopped 32bit i'm using a different distribution on my old laptop at home.
    Windows is fine for office work although win 10 is rubbish on old hw and it doesn't attempt to maintain itself .
    Android is a great consumer electronics platform. Their partitioning scheme leaves me pulling my hair out.
    I'd like to buy a chromeos laptop for my web browsing and emails as it looks easy to maintain and secure. Since there's not a lot of apps to install, you really need to commit to Google though.
    Apple os looks fine but I'm just not interested. There are cheaper alternatives and I hear its not as stable as they'd have you believe.

• Windows10 is Great. xx

• Windows Seven
    Android

• Windows 95.