I recently grabbed this from another social media site. What do you make of this?

I recently grabbed this from another social media site.  What do you make of this?

• It's stupid!
  • I love it!
  • The planners & engineers have their reasons. What could it be?
    Vote C

619

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason for doing it like that is so the road doesn’t have a massive incline/decline right there. It has to be high enough on the left side so trains can pass under it, but low enough to meet the ground level on the right side. If it was just a straight shot there would be a massive ramp right there in the middle of the road rather than a steady one around the loop.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes they do those things because they're trying not to block habitat, and they're utilizing as much existing road as possible.

That also looks like a freeway offramp, and you need more space to decelerate. Imagine the accidents with just a short offramp.

There's also an element of city and traffic planning involved in those decisions. A shorter road wouldn't be helpful in southern California, for example.