Why can't some people stop drinking when they have to drive home?

Is it because they haven't gotten into an accident yet?
Is it because they haven't gotten a hefty fine yet?
Updates:
What's a short drive to you? In km or minutes drive?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Everybody thinks they're the exception to the rule, "oh, only *some* people can't handle this or that, *I'm* one of the ones who can't fuck up", nearly every single one I suspect...

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • And even after getting into an accident, a lot of people will still keep it going after that, "oh, ya, that one time", or "just because I blew it doing that one stupid thing, that doesn't mean I can't succeed at this other stupid thing". And even if they get tickets or other punishment without an actual accident, then they just decide that it would have been fine, that the only problem was that there was a law against it.

• Show All
    • And people get away with shit adnauseum even if they don't

• I mean, it depends on the jurisdiction and the individual, but it's sickening sometimes

• It's usually because they believe that they are fit enough to drive, regardless of what the law says. They believe that they are different, that their alcohol tolerance is better, that they know when they are capable of driving. The problem with alcohol impairment is that you often don't notice it when it's not pronounced. You don't realise that your reactions are impaired. You feel fine but you're not fine.

Then there are those who know full well that they are drunk but just don't care, they think it will be 'fine', it's just a short drive, etc.

In both of the above cases people get killed. Not every time, not even most of the time but more than enough times.

1|1
    0|0
    • Don't they care about the other passengers who are scared of their behaviour?

• Show All
    • So.. they can't be helped until someone gets killed?

• Sadly that is the case at times, yes. They don't listen to anybody. The same is true of all the people driving without insurance or a license. They just don't care.

Most Helpful Girls

• They either take chances or tell themselves it can never happen to them.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Usually it’s because it’s only a short drive home and they have never crashed before. I don’t know anyone who has done it and driven on the highway (which is ironically safer than any other road).

1|0
    0|0
    • I know a few who drive on highways.. Maybe the highway is only safer, because drunk drivers use the other 😂

• I guess in Switzerland the highways connect the towns so you kinda have to.

A short drive is something under 15 minutes which is probably <10km here.

• What are your highways for, F1 racing only? 😂
      Highways are faster, but the towns are connected by country roads too. It just takes longer and is more serpentine.. and with traffic lights.

• Low self-control. A skewed judgment of how impervious they are to harm. Alcohol does tend to affect a person's judgment, so...

1|0
    0|0
  • Can`t speak for all but the people whom I know that drink and drive are very self distructive people. They dont mind killing themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some people have bad drinking habits. One of those is not knowing when enough is enough.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's because they don't care, "it's only four beers", "it's only 4 blocks", etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Addictions

1|0
    0|0
  • people lack discipline

1|0
    0|0
  • The world is just full of idiots :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Because they haven't learned how to check themselves in to AA

MOM

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes