Do you have any language barrier stories?

Let me give you an example. This happened to me when I first moved to Spain and my grasp of the language was limited to "hello", "yes", "no", "thank you", and "bye". I used to do most of my shopping in a nearby shopping centre which had a supermarket on the bottom floor.
One day when I was walking in, there was a charity group saying something in Spanish and handing plastic bags to people. At this point in time, Spain didn't charge for plastic bags and so my first thought was that they were a eco group trying to recycle plastic bags by giving people one at the start of their shop. I took one, said thank you, did my shop, and then left with some food in the plastic bag and the rest in my backpack.
As I was leaving, I noticed that on the opposite side of a wall (which wasn't visible when entering the store) was a large box full of food inside plastic bags. Turns out they were collecting food for homeless people. By that point it was too late so I just left with the bag.

But my favourite language barrier story would be this one:

#BakedHaggis #Cammysquestions

46

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm from the UK and on a trip through western USA we stopped in a small town and somebody overheard my husband and I talking and the person turned around and said "Gee, are you French?" - talk about the two nations being divided by a common language!

• I actually had a similar experience. My mum and sister came to visit me in Spain (we're all Scottish) and we went to this cafe that I liked. Sitting at the table next to us were about 5 or 6 girls from the US and we overheard them discussing whether or not we were speaking German

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau I'm not too sure but I remember we were on our way to San Diego from the east.

• That could be anywhere 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah. my friends are russian and i have french friends and let's just say we weren't all fluent in all 3 languages. it wasn't so bad with my italian friends because i speak italian.

i did have a funny story when i was trying to learn russian... aparently saying "i'm 21 years old" sounds a lot like "i'm a whore"... who knew? :|