Are Americans hospitable?

I will not visit the United States anytime soon, I wish I could, still I wanted to ask.
  • Generally yes
    Vote A
  • Depends on the region
    Vote B
  • Generally no
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it depends both on the individual and the region.

I have generally found the South to be the most hospitable, by some margin. The North East is the least hospitable part, particularly the larger cities.

1|2
    0|0
    • Agreed. The people of the deep south were wonderful to me. And yet I wonder if it is because I am a white women. If I were a black male, would they have opened their doors in the same way?
      I don't mean to be controversial, I just wonder these things.
      And I have always loved my stays in the deep south.

• Show All
    • @LegateLanius I have been to Connecticut and to Boston. Different headset altogether. People get things done in the Northeast. People are just down home hospitable in the deep south. Both are wonderful.
      My life is spent in Oregon, the state I love the most.

• 4d

Thanks for MHO

• I voted B
    Why won't you be visiting?
    You were born here, so you can visit anytime. You don't need a visa and you can stay as long as you want.

For the most part, Southernern Republicans are the most hospitable and also some parts of the Midwest
    Mexicans are also really hospitable if they know you.

The least hospitable from my experience are California Liberals and Native Americans.

1|0
    1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Not like Ones Abroad. xx

1|0
    0|0
  • Down here in the south there seems to be good people

But really anywhere you go there may be a jackass somewhere.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• I would say yes. I’d also say that hospitable, friendly and polite are slightly different things. Rural America is all three if you present as white and non-Muslim. (I’m not saying it’s terrible if you’re not I’m simply saying it isn’t going to seem as friendly and welcoming). Bigger American cities are less polite but hospitable to a wider range of people. there are a few bits along the Canadian border that start acting more like rural Canadians ie a little more reserved.

If it’s not clear what I mean by the differences I’d say east Asia is probably the most polite but varies in how welcoming they are to foreigners by country (I went to Seoul South Korea and they seemed -exceptionally/ proud to show their city and culture to foreigners). Americans are about the friendliest white culture. I’ve heard of some remote places where tourists are rare and end up being treated like guests by locals which you’d only find in remote areas. And I would say cities like Toronto where I live are the most -broadly- hospitable in that you can walk down the street with your pansexual lovers or wearing a niqab and most people will still act like you’re welcome to be here - though being big city dwellers they won’t actually talk to either.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some are, but I guess it depends on where you go. Here in "The Friendliest City", people rarely ever talk to you when you say hello to them or smile at you when you smile at them. But, about 90:00 west of here, people will say "Hi!" to YOU before you say it to them!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Well according to foreigners that have visited we are apparently known for being extremely polite (more so then the British apparently (didn't know that was possible). So I would say yes, though obviously each region is going to be a bit different (we are only a little bit smaller then Europe so its a big place. Also I've heard boston is pretty bad when it comes to rudeness, the south has a reputation for being very polite and friendly), but in general yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Americans have a fascination with foreigners they are curious about what its like where you come from.. Yes, some are pretty ignorant, but malicious. My Ex was from Ireland , someone asked her if they had Christmas there.. LMFAO One told her that she spoke very good English for only being in america for a year.. I just about shit myself laughing. When we were in Ireland, I got the same , but folks were nowhere near as clueless

1|1
    0|0
  • Some are, just try to avoid talking about politics, especially if you aren't liberal because liberals here may attack you or vandalize your car/property if they find out you don't agree with them.
    It is a subject best avoided.
    Even when people do seem nice, I still wouldn't trust them enough to leave your stuff around unwatched. There are lots of thieves here.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the American and where they are located but overall yes. Some can be paranoid and others just don't care. But I would hope and assume that given the right area they would be willing to provide help and assistance

1|0
    0|0
  • They're quite polite and hospitable in my experience at least, but it is a nation of 300 million so I'm sure they have all sorts.

1|0
    0|0
  • You should rather visit Canada. I have no idea what people's attraction to the US is

1|1
    0|0
    • Plus you're much more likely to get shot in the States because of the right to bear arms

• That's the most absurd thing ever. You have a unironic 0.00003% chance of death on average and a 0.000005% chance of death by firearm in the united states if you technically don't plan on ever committing crime or being near it or investing in gang activities. 1,200somethingorother out of 325 million. These are old CDC statistics that would be much better if I had the whole thing but I already posted it on a big thread debating it so I don't want to be the guy that slathers shit.

• R e g i o n.

Pennsylvania-esque part of the East coast harbors the Germanics, feels warm to me, perhaps ignorant but more of the smiling "how ya doin" type stuff. Middle and south of the East Coast (past Maryland) you get the Anglos and the Franks... nearly the same but you get a tinge of arrogance. The South is extremely patchy but if you're nice you're more than likely to get nice back. North/South Dakotas regions are all Scandinavian-based, very "lax" and "yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah" people.

No idea about central USA or West coast.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most are, with some caveats:

!. There are a lot of jerks in the bigger cities.
    2. People dressed in hijabs and the such will mostly get shunned unless personally known.

1|0
    0|0
    • she is a secular muslim i don't think anyone will recognize her as a Muslim

• I'd say in general yes. But less so in heavily populated areas. While humans are social creatures it feels like not many of us can handle being around too many people which is why people living in cities often have a reputation of being rude

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on where you go. The US is larger than the entire EU. Different regions are like different countries.

1|0
    0|0
  • Americans are generally very friendly. But they don't invite you to their house as often.

1|0
    0|0
  • depends where you go. Some are assholes and egotistical, others are homely

2|0
    0|0
  • Meh... Never been there but it does not look like a very welcoming country when you take a look at all the paperwork you need to fill.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't speak for all regions but here in the deep South ( Alabama ) we tend to pride ourselves on being hospitable.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've met a lot of really nice people and a lot of not so nice people. It depends on who you meet.

1|0
    0|0
  • The ones I know are very nice people. But with all countries, there are nice people and assholes.

But they are pretty helpful.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never visited America but it doesn't seem hospitable at all. It's a mess over there.

1|0
    0|1
  • Depends on where you go my family we try kill you by fatting you up.

1|0
    0|0
  • in my experience... generally yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • We used to be.

1|0
    0|0
  • Generally yes, but some regions more than others.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the region mostly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Generally yes

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.

1|0
    0|0
  • Generally yes