How did St. Bart's become a playground for the rich and famous?

I just remember reading that in the 50s, there were only black people there, and it was very poor and crime ridden, than the French cleaned it up, but there are other colonial islands that aren't frequented by celebrities. So why is St. Bart's so popular with celebrities and rich people?
Leonardo DeCaprio chilling on St. Bart's

615

Most Helpful Girl

• I’m guessing someone at some point set the trend. And now the amenities offered there cater specifically to the rich and famous, which makes them want to continue coming back. It’s a positive feedback loop

Most Helpful Guys

• well the french finally installing electricity in the 1960s was a start. hard to be a haven for the wealthy or tourists in general without electricity. from that point on they simply worked to make the island a tourist attraction by building hotels.

• Usually, when something becomes popular, it loses its appeal to those who want to do the "in" things and be a part of the "in crowd." A few well placed news reports on celebrities vacationing at St. Bart's gets noticed, Conde Nast does a few articles on the place, the St. Bart's Chamber of Commerce (or whatever equivalent self-promotion agency it has) appears at a few travel agent conventions promoting itself and handing out free goodies to travel agents, and "all of a sudden" it becomes a hot spot for getting away.