Why do so many people live in South Florida? Will there be a housing crisis? Why are homes so small and cheap there compared to my expectations?

Jack9949
I understand that South Florida or the tri-county area is an attractive place to live, due to its warmer weather, tropical vibe and close proximity to fantastic beaches. However because of these existing factors, I am confused as to why the homes of the region are not being built larger and priced more expensively than the ones of most ordinary townships in New England. There is nothing at all exciting about where I live and yet my family could still somehow afford a cheaper house in a more desired region. People from the Northeast (snowbirds) go on vacations all the time to South Florida and are amazed by what they experience. I myself even cried at the airport when I had to leave the state with my scout troop after a week of sailing in the Florida Keys on a 75 foot schooner. We even made it onto the news of a local channel as can be seen here, While most vacationers also tend to think of the area as being notoriously wealthy, the statistics also point to a much different picture. They show that personal income and median household income are slightly below the US national average, yet despite this the area is still experiencing a rapid population growth, mainly due to immigration. I am wondering for how much longer this trend will continue and if there will ever be a housing crisis. Due to the Everglades, it seems that the area is very limited in additional space, and it also doesn’t help that most people live in houses instead of apartments. This can be clearly evidenced in Miami, with the endless array of expansive neighborhoods and single family homes. The downtown area itself is much smaller than the rest of the city. It seems that truly rich people are also in the minority as only 7% of the population makes $200k or more in personal income.
1
4