Florida is manipulating its covid death numbers!

goaded

The CDC site shows Florida had 361 deaths over the last seven days, which means their state shows up a pretty light blue compared to the dark blue in all the states around it. Success! Right?

Pretty light blue Florida!
Pretty light blue Florida!

Wrong.

The total deaths in Florida on September 17th https://archive.is/7qefa is 50,811, but a week earlier, on 10th September https://archive.is/jPBIb, it was 48,273 - a difference of 2,538. A week earlier https://archive.is/s0oLS, it was 45,909,- a difference of 2,364.

It's a simple trick. They just don't report most of the deaths until after a week has passed, so the average of the preceding seven days' reports is always nice and low, then "correct" them later.

Use the real number, and you get nearly 12 deaths per 100,000 population over the week, which is literally off the scale (the darkest blue only goes up to 10.9, and Texas and the other states are at about 7).

No anonymous opinions, please. Own your comments!

2
3
2Girl Opinion
3Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• RolandCuthbert
    I always think about banning anonymous comments too. But I don't think it matters. Most folks will never "own' their comments". That's why they come here. To say crap they would never say in public.

As for Florida, we all know DeSantis was manipulating the data long before this. But unlike Cuomo. . . he never faced the music. Because the American Taliban only believes in accountability for others and never for itself. They will use intimidation, threats and violence to stop people from voicing disagreement or telling the truth.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/01/18/957914495/data-scientist-rebekah-jones-facing-arrest-turns-herself-in-to-florida-authoriti

Rebekah Jones, the data scientist who helped create Florida's COVID-19 dashboard, has turned herself in to police, in response to an arrest warrant issued by the state.

Jones is charged with one count of "offenses against users of computers, computer systems, computer networks and electronic devices," the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said in a statement Monday.

Jones has said she lost her job after refusing requests to manipulate data to suggest Florida was ready to ease coronavirus restrictions. Jones says she's being punished for continuing to speak out about how Gov. Ron DeSantis is handling COVID-19, citing her arrest and a raid on her home last month.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • goaded

It's just so blatent, what they're doing and how they're doing it. 350 deaths a day in a population of 20 million; that's worse than New York at any time since mid-May 2020, when there were no vaccines, there hadn't been 18 months of research into treatment and mitigation strategies. So unnecessary.

There will be a new report out in a few hours, it will be interesting to see what it says. I'll be very surprised if it's fewer than 2,500 deaths in the last week.

The Biden administration is looking at ways to prosecute states for forcing schools not to mandate masks. (My instant idea when they started that was to say they should make them part of the dress code, which they are allowed to mandate. I was delighted to see someone else had the same idea. www.nbcnews.com/.../texas-school-district-makes-masks-part-dress-code-get-around-n1277040 )

• goaded

"Only" 2,340, this week.

• msc545
    The governor of Florida is well-known for manipulating statistics and for outright lying about them in regard to covid
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

21
  • BlacklightShade
    An awesome way to delay response time when acting quickly should be the best action.
    Like 1 Person
    • goaded

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean?

• I am being sarcastic. Choosing to publish data in that way means it's released later than it would be otherwise. That means any reactions based on rising hotspots are delayed that much more.

• goaded

Right. It's not like the authorities don't know what's happening, they just don't care and they want people to think they're safe (or that it's safe to visit).

• Kaneki05
    I heard Florida is really nice this time of the year. One week later oh... Nvm lol.
    Thought tbh why was it doing fine a week earlier?
    • goaded

Heh. Did I mention they're only reporting Florida residents' deaths? Nobody else counts.

• Agape93
    I know
    Like 1 Person
    • goaded

I only noticed this when I looked at www.worldometers.info/.../#graph-deaths-daily - the graph dropped off unnaturally in the most recent week, unlike every other state I looked at, so I looked at the archived copies of the page and saw it was the same pattern every week.

It doesn't come as much of a surprise.