What's your opinion on the protesting at the University of Virginia?

pervertedjester
What's your opinion on the protesting at the University of Virginia?  CNN Story

University of Virginia police dispersed a gathering of far-right protesters on the Charlottesville, Va. campus Friday night ahead of a planned demonstration by white nationalists, white supremacists and alt-right groups on Saturday.

Police arriving on the scene declared the protest on Friday an "unlawful assembly" and told demonstrators to disperse, video footage of the gathering shows.

Photos and video of the protests posted on social media Friday showed demonstrators marching through dark walkways, chanting slogans like "white lives matter" and "you will not replace us."

Protesters holding torches clustered on the campus in an apparent lead-up to a Saturday demonstration protesting Charlottesville's decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

The protest planned for Saturday has ignited intense opposition in Charlottesville, and large counter-demonstrations are expected to materialize in response. Even on Friday, a group of protesters turned out in opposition to the far-right demonstration, chanting "black lives matter."

Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer condemned the protest in a statement, calling the gathering "a cowardly parade of hatred, bigotry, racism, and intolerance."

"Everyone has a right under the First Amendment to express their opinion peaceably, so here's mine: not only as the Mayor of Charlottesville, but as a UVA faculty member and alumnus, I am beyond disgusted by this unsanctioned and despicable display of visual intimidation on a college campus," the Mayor said.
+1 y
It's hard reading about the UVA story to me because as a History buff and it's my home state. I don't like history being edited. Good or bad it all needs to be remembered. But then to have racists hijack the issue... it's like @legalboxers quoted

"There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down"
2
9