Do you think the Canadian government should turn back 'refugees' coming from the US?

Please check this article out before answering if you aren't too updated on the situation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-immigration-idUSKCN1AX1PO

• Yes
  • No

821

Most Helpful Girl

• I am very much pro immigration, however I recognize that there are significant challenges that come with opening the floodgates and allowing people to skirt the legal process. It has become a significant issue in recent months and needs to be properly addressed.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I do. Canada is a sovereign country and those so-called "refugees" are illegally crossing its border. Canada's government doesn't know who these people are and they haven't been vetted or invited in. (Unless Trudeau has made some naive statement along the lines of: "We'd love to have them come!")

What Girls Said 7

• yes.
    Those are not refugees. They're slime balls who have been in the states for several years and are just trying to bypass the immigration backlogs by pretending to be 'refugees' who have been living comfortably in the sates for quite some time now.
    media4.s-nbcnews.com/.../...bcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

• That was an interesting article to read. If the Canadian government doesn't want to accept them then they don't have to. I don't know much about Canada's economy or current state but if they feel they can't support that many people coming into their country then, it is what it is I guess. I know a lot of people seem to think that Canada has a great immigration and refugee policy that makes it easy for people to migrate there but other sources i have read says it's actually pretty strict. So, I'm not sure.

• The Government seems to want them.

On the other hand the Canadian public barely knows that this even exists. Those who do are mostly opposed to it.

My parents didn't know, my neighbors, random I talked to. Nobody I talk to from Toronto, Quebec, etc, seem to know it's even happening.

• It's not on your news stations there? Very interesting.

• @None11am Yeah, that's kind of what I meant in my opinion. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about Canada and their immigration policies.

• I'm pretty sure we had a designated island for them

• Wasn't Canada the one calling us horrible people for not wanting illegal immigrants?

• Of course not.

PS: I didn't read the article.

• Nope should keep

• If they don't want to, they shouldn't.

What Guys Said 20

• Canada has 160 million people and thousands of square miles of uninhabited land, so a few thousand people can't be that big of an issue.
    On the other hand, it's of course also an economic matter. I think they should closely analyze the situation in Haiti and send the refugees back if possible. As far as I know, Haiti is not experiencing any significant political crisis.
    If they get sent back however, I think it is only fair to do it as soon as possible. Keeping people in your country for two years, making them sit around with no life perspective and wait for some kind of message from the local immigration office isn't fair.

• uhh Canada has 35 million people. and the thing is that they are coming illegally, too many are coming to do primary security checks.
      we already accepted 40k Syrians last year and these last 2 years have had a big increase in immigration and number of refugees and if you add 11.5 thousand in 2.5 months from those who came from January to May plus those who'll come from the 15th of August to December then we're talking about a few thousand more people easy.

• Deficit matters big time... It just doesn't matter for USA because they artificially create demand of the US dollar... that's a loop hole and only USA can do it

• By the same logic a Chinese in America is no longer Chinese.

• Those are not Americans. From what I gather from the article, those are Haitians who had already been granted temporary admittance to the US.

Of course the US has much more lenient rules than Canada. Canada can make it's own rules. If they don't want them, then turn them away. It's their choice. They are not under any obligation to accept them.

• They're not actual US citizens seeking refugee they are illegals from Mexico, Latin America and places like Haiti.

Honestly if they don't accept them then the government is contradicting it's own actions and Trudeau's own words about wanting to accept everyone.

But in truth I think they'll probably deny them entry for the same reasons we did, we don't want illegals in our country, they're not good for the nation they cause trouble and their numbers are unsustainable among other reasons.

Honestly I don't care, what Canada does in that respect, if the immigrants come here they'll be sent right back to where they came from or arrested and imprisoned.

Now Canada can see the issue we were dealing with.

• In Canada they are being housed in Montreal which means they aren't being turned back at the border. Making it harder to deport or do anything else

• Well there are 11,500 people who crossed the border in the last 2.5 months.

• That's unfortunate for the citizens.

• Trudeau man... We should return anyone coming through the border illegally but this guy just lets anyone walk through the front door.

• i think it depends on if the government feels they can take in the refugees. but it definitely needs to be clear what canada's policy is since these seems like it will be an ongoing issue

• What governments do and say is often different than what the people want..

• i'm sorry but at 16 you can't claim to be more aware of the realities of the world than those who's jobs it is to be aware and informed. you only know of the world you see. but unless you've studied, looked at the numbers, understand these issues on the various levels it takes to be considered an expert to suggest that you are informed enough to say they are wrong is incredulous.

and i don't really see what fascism has to do due with a conversation about turning away or accepting immigrants

• because many people don't want these immigrants. especially illegals. So they become more hardcore in their beliefs.

• They say they struggle to house them. If thats the case then yes they should be sent back.

• It's impossible to have American refugees.

• It's not "canadas" right to turn away people from a part of the earth. Just because you call some part of earth "canada" doesn't make it yours the government never created the soil hence its not their property.

• you're thus an anarchist who supports worldwide absence of any forms of government?

• Each government has the right to restrict it's borders as it's purpose it to protect those inside

• It doesn't even have a right to make borders nor is the government responsible for the protection of citizens their job simply is to run things. Police don't have to protect anyone from harm either.
      It's their land you can't just go into someones house and say toilets off limits its their property.

• Canadian government should ask them why they aren't running to Mexico and post results afterwards.

Should be a good read.

• Yes. They've all heard a false rumour that we will instantly give them residency if they show up on our doorstep.

• I think the U. S.'s saner brother should accept immigration from the U. S. They're basically the same country but with the French twist in some places.

• If these people are refugees then we should be trying to safely resettle them in their homelands, not take them into ours.

• they're coming from America

• True, they aren't the Canadians' problem, they are America's problem, although my solution remains the same.

• I don't give a shit but like you should be free to go wherever the fuck you want but we always can't.

• I don't think they should turn them back, but I think it is necessary to contain them until they find accommodations for them

• No, we need to escape the recently releases orange mutant.

• Nope. They should practice what they preach

• Trudeau should build a wall and make Trump pay.

• Hmmm but god-almighty Trudeau said they accept refugees, he can't turn back now, right? He's such an incredible leader, so powerful and respected, he can't be seen as a hypocrite, right?
    Didn't Canadians felt disgusted about Trump's immigration policies? Didn't they feel all superior because they were more "tolerant" and "accepting" than the oh-so-bad Americans?
    Let them enjot all those refugees and illegals they wanted so bad, I'm sure regular Canadians will open the doors of their homes and house all these refugees.

• Good thing I'm not a regular Canadian :)

• As much as I don't like what you have to say, I can't really blame you. That seems to be the typical "Canadian" image that's portrayed.

All the "real" Canadians who look down on Americans because of their pro freedom gun laws, or how they think that big government=a better country to live in. Most of the people spewing that shit are from the city, and it's sad but city folk far outnumber people in rural areas in Canada.

• @HarriettTubman Yeah, I live in the city and I definitely see the differences in between myself and others. I'm conservative in most aspects, pro-gun.

• Yes if they are illegal refugees

• Refugees and illegal immigrants are a burned to any country and its economy. There can be devastating long term effect on the country's finances which is why the Canadian government show limit the amount of refugees entering their country.