A boat capsizes in Missouri killing 11 people, Shouldn't they have exercised more caution?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/us/missouri-boat-incident/index.html

As the news story says 11 people dead and 5 still missing in a boat capsized on a lake in Missouri after a Thunderstorm. This brings me a question
Why did they not stop any boats going out when they were under a severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time the boats were going out?
audio.cbsradionewsfeed.com/.../Update-03.mp3
According to CBS News the search has been called off for the night and the National Weather Service in Branson, Missouri recorded at the time the boat capsized the wind was 63 MPH.
Update: The death toll now stands at 17 according to CBS News
The family is now suing the company who operated the boat tours for $100 Million

314

Most Helpful Girl

• Not any dumber than the tour boat in Hawaii who got hit by a lava bomb. Luckily no one was killed there. I thought the one in Missouri was close to shore?

• Yes It was a tourist boat, The NTSB will be finding out more info today

• That was pretty unlucky. It's not as if they are falling like hail.

Most Helpful Guys

• I don’t know if that lake is part of the controlled waterways? Authorities may not be able to stop traffic on it.

Still though, storms can spring up from nowhere and they might have been caught out in the lake. However an experienced operator would be able to see it happening and made a break for far sooner.

Seems like bad seamanship tbh.

• The NTSB said the investigation could take up to one year to complete

• Will be interesting to see, those duck boats are NOT built for storms so I think it’s pretty obvious what happened. *why* it happened isnwhwt I suspect will be the bulk of the investigation.

• 9 of them were a family

• In 2005 a similar incident occurred in my country. It was the occasion of the Red Bull Flugtag. This event was hosted on the very Sunday that the local St Peter's commemoration was held --- a bad idea to start with. Traffic stopped, because cars could not move. People had to leave their cars and walk, or else hire boats to get there.
    One such boat was vastly overloaded and capsized, killing several people including (if memory serves me correctly) a 13 year old boy.
    Of course, greater caution might have prevented the overloading and the tragedy.