A boat capsizes in Missouri killing 11 people, Shouldn't they have exercised more caution?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/us/missouri-boat-incident/index.html

As the news story says 11 people dead and 5 still missing in a boat capsized on a lake in Missouri after a Thunderstorm. This brings me a question
Why did they not stop any boats going out when they were under a severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time the boats were going out?
Updates:
audio.cbsradionewsfeed.com/.../Update-03.mp3
According to CBS News the search has been called off for the night and the National Weather Service in Branson, Missouri recorded at the time the boat capsized the wind was 63 MPH.
Update: The death toll now stands at 17 according to CBS News
The family is now suing the company who operated the boat tours for $100 Million

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Not any dumber than the tour boat in Hawaii who got hit by a lava bomb. Luckily no one was killed there. I thought the one in Missouri was close to shore?

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes It was a tourist boat, The NTSB will be finding out more info today

• That was pretty unlucky. It's not as if they are falling like hail.

Most Helpful Guys

• I don’t know if that lake is part of the controlled waterways? Authorities may not be able to stop traffic on it.

Still though, storms can spring up from nowhere and they might have been caught out in the lake. However an experienced operator would be able to see it happening and made a break for far sooner.

Seems like bad seamanship tbh.

0|1
    0|0
    • The NTSB said the investigation could take up to one year to complete

• Will be interesting to see, those duck boats are NOT built for storms so I think it’s pretty obvious what happened. *why* it happened isnwhwt I suspect will be the bulk of the investigation.

• 9 of them were a family

• In 2005 a similar incident occurred in my country. It was the occasion of the Red Bull Flugtag. This event was hosted on the very Sunday that the local St Peter's commemoration was held --- a bad idea to start with. Traffic stopped, because cars could not move. People had to leave their cars and walk, or else hire boats to get there.
    One such boat was vastly overloaded and capsized, killing several people including (if memory serves me correctly) a 13 year old boy.
    Of course, greater caution might have prevented the overloading and the tragedy.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• That's awful. Yes, they should have taken more precautions

0|1
    0|0
  • Sigh. It wasn't a boat, it was an amphibious truck.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• No I was in branson just a few days before it had happened witch is scary but I've done ride the ducks witch is the boat that capsized and they do take lots of precautions. But even when I was there it was stormy they just were in the wrong place at the wrong time. really the only step they could have taken it not going In the water. And that is half of the tour. The people knew what they were getting themselves in to and still decided to go and risk it out in the storms.

0|1
    0|0
  • What I don't understand is why they call off so many of these rescues.

0|1
    0|0
  • You can only do so much when someone is unwilling to listen to your warnings. I say if they want to take the risk, go for it. Not my problem, as I've already warned them about it. I've done all that I can there already.

0|1
    0|0
  • It seems like people do stupid things all the time. It's a tragedy but they should have looked up the weather before going into the boat. "Oh shit, severe thunderstorms, should stay home".

0|1
    0|0
  • Oh crap! I'm in Missouri right now and I had no clue about this! Thats awful! :(

I mean I guess so. But maybe they were already out when the warning came in so they didn't hear the warning?

0|0
    0|0
  • They? The company should have suspended operations if high winds were forecast.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they should press charges on them for poor judgement and not avoiding a obvious hazard to passengers.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well I'd say it's more the victims' fault. That's like me saying "let's go play on the roof with this lighting storm" if anything, it's just natural selection. You can't fix stupid

0|0
    0|0
    • It was a commercial operation, not some folks joyriding on a pleasure boat.

• Yes they should have, every person on that boat should have been wearing a life jacket

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot of things may seem like a good idea in hindsight.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes, they should have. Then again it is Missouri so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole state blew up at some point.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't understand how somebody just dies can't they swim

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not a great swimmer so I can't personally attest to this, but I had these two friends in college who were competitive swimmers on the UW swim team and whenever we'd watch a movie with a rough water scene (the rescue scene near the end of 'Patriot Games' comes to mind), they would always blurt "No one would survive three minutes in that water!". So... according to my swimmer buddies... yeah, I guess you would just die in stormy water?

• Show All
    • Right and that's the real issue. But I understand why people don't put on life jackets similar to the way I understand why people don't want to wear helmets. By the way, I'm glad to see that the removal of the TGI Fridays gift certificate reward has not chased you away! You make GAG better!

• I've been here for a very long time. I won't be chased away unless I'm shown the door by an administrator. I appreciate it thank you

Recommended myTakes