Do you agree with Scott Wagner's quote Climate Change?

"I haven’t been in a science class in a long time, but the earth moves closer to the sun every year -- you know the rotation of the earth," "We’re moving closer to the sun."
  • yes
  • No

420

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe there are major causes of climate change and global warming. However I'm not a scientist. I just wanted to thank this question because there are many interesting answers about Earth movements and Sun expansion. Some people don't seem to agree about if Earth is the same orbit or is nearest or further to the sun. Now I'm curious. I shall research I guess.

Most Helpful Guys

• Insofar as the sun is gradually expanding, yes, we are moving closer to the sun's surface. We're actually moving away from the sun, at the rate of roughly an inch a year, but the sun itself is expanding ever-so-slightly faster than this. That said, though, neither are of any significance in anything other than geological time frames (i. e, the next 100>500M years or so).

• Complete nonsense. We are actually moving away from the sun due to two primary forces. One (the lesser one) is the tidal forces experienced from the Earth circling the sun which slows down the sun's rotation but pushes the Earth further away.

The other more major (but still utterly insignificant) force is that the light and particles the sun throws away pushes everything away from the sun including the earth by a small margin.