Do you agree with Scott Wagner's quote Climate Change?

"I haven’t been in a science class in a long time, but the earth moves closer to the sun every year -- you know the rotation of the earth," "We’re moving closer to the sun."
  • yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe there are major causes of climate change and global warming. However I'm not a scientist. I just wanted to thank this question because there are many interesting answers about Earth movements and Sun expansion. Some people don't seem to agree about if Earth is the same orbit or is nearest or further to the sun. Now I'm curious. I shall research I guess.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Insofar as the sun is gradually expanding, yes, we are moving closer to the sun's surface. We're actually moving away from the sun, at the rate of roughly an inch a year, but the sun itself is expanding ever-so-slightly faster than this. That said, though, neither are of any significance in anything other than geological time frames (i. e, the next 100>500M years or so).

0|3
    0|0
  • Complete nonsense. We are actually moving away from the sun due to two primary forces. One (the lesser one) is the tidal forces experienced from the Earth circling the sun which slows down the sun's rotation but pushes the Earth further away.

The other more major (but still utterly insignificant) force is that the light and particles the sun throws away pushes everything away from the sun including the earth by a small margin.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• No and quite frankly, hearing that I think we should send him (along with all likeminded specimen) off in a spaceship actually heading towards the sun.

2|1
    0|0
  • no, and I think it's silly to admit you know little on a subject but throw your two cents in anyway... ya know

1|2
    0|0
  • Yes, but there are so many more causes to climate change.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 18

• The Earth is in an elliptical orbit around Sol. Every year we do get closer to the sun at periapsis and then further at apoapsis. On average we are about 93 million miles away. We still have about 5 billion more years until Sol transforms into a red giant and gets closer to us.

1|2
    0|0
  • The Earth does move slightly closer to the Sun each year because our orbit isn't perfectly spherical - we're slightly closer to the Sun half of each year than we are in the other half.

Otherwise, the Earth is actually moving away from the Sun slightly, although not at a rate significant enough to cause any real change in the global climate on the order of time we're talking about when we discuss Global Climate Change.

1|1
    0|0
  • The reality of it, a change is happening... is it the natural evolution, or were human that... caused it or played a part in it happening... is still up for debate, but the issues / results are real and we need to understand that and start acting

0|2
    0|2
  • Lmao that's completely untrue. Our orbit isn't a perfect circle so there are certain times of the year that our planet is slightly closer to the sun. Saying that we are constantly getting closer is nonsense.

1|2
    0|0
  • Jesus Christ, there's dumb and then there's utter utter bullshit wrongness. This guy is borderline retarded. How he doesn't drown in his breakfast cereal every morning...

1|1
    0|0
  • I had to google this but it turns out its true but the motion is minimal and the man made destruction of the planet plays a vastly larger role in climate change.

0|2
    0|0
  • The earth is like a person they get got they get cold sick healthy

Wanna stop the climate change tho we need to stop building and multiplying and change things like gas to solar wind power I mean solar cars were a thing but was crush by the automobile industry cuz it would affect there money

0|1
    0|0
  • One would have to lack a functional brain to agree with his statement

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe so but not at a fast rate where anything serious will happen before another century goes by so I am not worried about it

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah... I think maybe it has been too long for him to make statements on such matters

0|1
    0|0
  • The Earth has been locked in it's orbit for 5 billion years. So have all the other planets.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's is not entirely accurate...
      Just like the moon is ever so slowly moving away from earth so is earth and all the other planets ever so slowly moving away from the sun
      It is just taking place at such rates that it is of little concern

• I wonder if perhaps he's been misquoted. Sounds like he's talking about the rotation of the earth, not its proximity to the sun.

• Could be
      Misquoting and/Or things taken entirely out of context has been known to happen

• Let's think this through. Global climate change isn't just because of the sun. We put out so much fucking green house gases that if you were Earth when the dinosaurs were alive, and the green house gases present now are present back then, everything would be extinct because of the amount of oxygen to carbon dioxyide. We humans have screwed everything over with cars, power plants, garbage heaps, and industries. No, his qoute that "moving closer to the sun" does not mean that that's the only thing causing climate change.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't. I believe in climate warming, but I don't see the warming as a disaster.

0|0
    0|3
  • That's Grade A bullshit right there.

1|2
    0|0
  • No, that's just blatantly wrong

1|1
    0|0
  • Wtf
    U going about

0|2
    0|0