Florida senate passes bill, allowing teachers to be armed, your thoughts?

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Good. The idea that we need to be terrified of teachers having guns despite the fact that we trust them with our childrens lives under all other circumstances is moronic to say the least. Further more we also know for a fact that banning guns doesn't work, that if some one has intent to kill, it being also illegal to have a gun (or to bring one into a school) is not going to be a deterent and we know this because school shootings exist (albiet rarely). So the notion that some one might have a bigger gun and therefore you, or in this case the teacher and children, should have absolutely no way to defend themselves is again, moronic. Its about time we started doing this.

0|2
    4|1
  • I am in favor of this concept provided that teachers who object are not required to carry firearms. A law enforcement respone can never be as quick as teachers who are already on the premises. Why would anyone oppose something that can protect our children?

Of course, there is some opposition from the left, because the only action acceptable to them would be a repeal of the Second Amendment. Anything that solves the problem without abolishing gun ownership is unacceptable to them. (Of course, if we make private ownership of guns illegal, criminals will continue to have guns and law abiding citizens will not; how does that solve this problem?)

3|8
    3|1
    • 8 d ago

Yes, this entire thing is voluntary. Teachers who do want to carry, must go through a screening process that involves background checks, psychological evaluation, and training at the their county sheriff’s office/department. The crazy thing is, other states already allow concealed carry on college/university campus, with ZERO incidents or crimes committed by a concealed permit holder, in any of these states. The issue here is not whether teachers should carry, it’s whether the processes vetting the teachers and training are adequate enough to turn out responsible and trained personnel. Teachers are just human beings. Many have demonstrated that they’re willing to risk their lives for their students in dire situations. With proper training and a vetting process, I think this can turn out to be a great thing.

• Show All
    • 8 d ago

✊✊✊✊

• 6 d ago

Thanks for MHO!

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't have much knowledge regarding this subject, but reading the articles you provided, I think its a good idea, to have a means to protect the kids against the mass shooting.

6|6
    3|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I DON'T WANT TO CARRY, I JUST WANT TO TEACH. That being said, if there's an active shooter in the school, I'm going to fight back. So having the proper training and licensing would help me fight back in the smartest way possible.

4|4
    1|0
    • 8 d ago

The last person they're going to ask to carry a gun, is someone who doesn't want to. That would be a recipe for disaster. You're safe. :)

• Show All
    • 8 d ago

I agree 100%. I was just thinking if there was an ex soldier or cop who taught at a school, they might make good, for back of a better term, "Air Marshals."

But I think that after all of these shootings in schools, it appears that nothing has been done. I think they should leave the teachers out of it, and just hire professionals. Will it cost money? Yes, but just wait until the lawsuits start rolling in from this last shooting. Then they're going to really see some costs. But like every other school shooting; it's talked about for awhile and then fizzles out. So we'll see if this time it's different, but I doubt it.

• 6 d ago

So true love that response

• It sure is a great idea to arm those who often suffer from extreme stress, are overworked, deal with dicks all the time while simultaneously being near lots of vulnerable kids at the same time
    /Sarcasm

2|2
    1|1
    • 8 d ago

I'm gonna bet this is gonna happen.

> Teacher is suffering from depression or whatever bad
      > Teacher gets consistently shit from children
      > Teacher uses gun to exert power on kids
      > Teacher threatens children with guns
      > Some teachers shoot children

Rinse and repeat

• 8 d ago

Well, perhaps those characterizations are not characteristic of the majority of teachers in the US, specifically in Florida. The bill has checkpoints where an individual has to pass training via their sheriff’s office/department, background, and psychological. This entire process is voluntary, so if a teacher doesn’t want to carry then he or she does not have to.

• 8 d ago

this hasn't happened one time in all the other schools that allow teachers to carry a firearm. Liberals keep screaming that's it's gonna happen... but it somehow never does. Also, we still haven't had a student with a concealed permit decide to shoot their teacher for failing them on a test yet, although liberals swore this would happen frequently once Texas allowed concealed carry on their campuses. I'm beginning to think that maybe having a gun doesn't automatically mean someone is gonna abuse it.

• I think it’s not a good idea, I can already imagine all the accidents happening.

“Kid takes Teacher’s gun and shoots bully”
    “Teacher has meltdown and shoots 7 kids”
    “Gun accidentally goes off and kills student”

You get the idea.

3|4
    0|0
  • Good for them. Hopefully the teachers aren't emotional trainwrecks like so many of the students across the nation are.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because this won't go badly wrong in good old Florida. I think if teachers are trained to protect their students with guns and they carry these guns, they should be making significantly more money than they already make.

1|0
    1|0
    • 8 d ago

“Badly wrong”

Isn’t that redundant?

• Show All
    • 7 d ago

You do realize teachers starting salary is around $45000. If they have any degree (s) in addition to the four year degree it bumps it up more. It's very easily for a teacher to make $60000 and up with 5-10 years of teaching experience. That's not a bad salary for working nine months a year for six hours a day. Also, a teaching major is one of thr easiest majors in college.

• 7 d ago

@Paige90 it is one of the easiest degrees but I'm so glad it's not my job. You can't pay me enough to watch people's misbehaving children all day. Of course I respect what they do unlike most people, they are teaching and educating the next generation. As for the increase in pay, if only that actually happened. I know many teachers who have ten years of experience and still have side jobs to make a reasonable amount of money. My favorite art teacher from high school is also a bartender and another favorite teacher who was my English teacher, regularly donates her blood for money

• That’s wild shit, lmao. I mean... the biggest thing is we need to figure out why schools are getting shot up all too often the last 20 years. Like you never heard about this when I was growing up. I got to college, Columbine happened, and it got crazy from there. Something is fucked up with the kids, and the kids are just a reflection of the environment we adults set up for them to be raised in.

As far as arming teachers... I think we need to remember that teachers can be crazy assholes too. We shouldn’t assign moralities to professions. “Oh, they’re police/military/clergy/a judge/a teacher... they couldn’t POSSIBLY be bad!” Like that’s just outright bullshit, straight up. I had some ex-Marine/current firefighter come into the bar I was bouncing at, alone on a Monday night, and I was pretty sure I was about to get rolled by this guy and his friends because I couldn’t let him in on his gun license, because he got a DUI, THE NIGHT BEFORE🙄, and had his license confiscated (or something, not even sure if that happens). I’m just like “buddy, if you don’t have one of the acceptable forms of ID then I don’t know what to tell you.” Then it was all “THIS GUY WAS A MARINE!!!”, “THIS GUY IS A FIREFIGHTER!!! How about we just kick your ass instead?” And it’s just like “bro, I don’t care if you won a Medal Of Honor in Fallujah and have it here with you... the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission is still going to shut our shit down, even if Audie Murphy himself is in here without a valid accepted form of ID, and a gun license isn’t one of them.” These guys were pieces of shit, and at least the guy in question held very highly respected occupations in American society. So I just take issue with the idea that teachers can be trusted to responsibly handle themselves. Are we expecting a sure shot from all of them? Like should they be firing at someone amidst chaos and innocent people running around? Do we trust them to have good Hogan’s Alley skills and only shoot the bad guys, and not panic, spin, and fire at the first thing moving in the middle of a terrifying situation? Might be more problems with that. Wait til some kid catches a stray and there’s a big lawsuit. And honestly, how do refrain in non-emergencies? I don’t know how you WOULDN’T light up some punk ass kid talking slick in the middle of third period geometry lmfao.

For real though, if this is where we are now, I just don’t even know what to think. Guns AND schools have been around for centuries, so what the fuck happened that we see this school shooting shit all the time now? I’m not a fan of guns because they give heart to cowards. That said, they exist, and it’s foolish to think you can adequately regulate pretty much anything in existence. This is why I just want a house in the woods, and just get the fuck away from all of you assholes, lmao.

0|0
    0|0
  • As I don't live in the US I have not come across this but from the research I've been able to do that these mass school/college shootings happen only where there is NOT an armed presence in the school/college, which is strongly opposed by teacher unions (who apparently did not consult their members beforehand).
    Those wishing to enter the school guardian program have to undergo police-style training, psychiatric evaluation and drug screening, it is noted it was purely voluntary for teachers to become armed guardians, If a teacher does not want to be a guardian, we don't require them to. This bill does not require districts to arm teachers.
    It is also noted that there was a clear difference in voting between those who represent urban constituencies (against the bill) and rural constituencies (for the bill).
    Under another law, passed immediately after the Parkland shooting, only teachers who have another role, such as sports coach, are eligible to carry weapons on campus.

If those schools who are taking part in the guardian program have signs outside declaring that the program is in operation that by itself would probably deter shootings at that school to some degree and teachers who are carrying firearms in that school could go their whole careers without ever having to use them.

0|0
    0|0
  • The current, unarmed-teacher method doesn't seem to be working.

5|5
    3|0
  • Stupid idea. What if the teacher had enough of their shit?

3|6
    0|0
    • 8 d ago

LOL!!
      Can you imagine a pissed off teacher packing heat? No one is going to give Mr. Smith a hard time today.😂

• I'm so glad I live in a civilised country where teachers don't need guns

6|3
    1|3
  • Plain stupid.
    Two things.

One: giving over worked, over stressed, under respected and under paid teachers loaded guns sounds like a recipe for disaster if one of the teachers decides to start shooting students themselves. Also sounds like an issue if they use said gun to coerce a student into sexual relations after class.

Two: why are they so under paid and schools so under funded, but you can afford to get them guns, training, licensing and insurance?

1|2
    0|0
    • 6 d ago

The insurance alone would be too expensive for this bill to last in Florida

• 5 d ago

I agree. Considering I would assume they have to get the same licensing as a security guard, which can be expensive depending on the state. Plus in my opinion, you would need life insurance and liability insurance. To cover your family in case you get shot, or in case you injure someone by accident.

• Oh, yes... MORE guns in our already-gun-insane culture, despite all the evidence that firearms are bad because people are morons and don't know how to properly use them safely or with good intentions. Great. Just what we need. Teachers can't even afford classroom supplies and the state house there thinks they should be focusing on allowing teachers to carry guns in school? ... how noble.

1|1
    0|0
  • A Jamaican guy I use to teach with in Florida had a gun in his desk years ago. Some kid threatened to jump him in the parking lot once and he walked up to him in the hall, put a hand on his shoulder, and whispered in his ear “If you ever touch me I’m smoke your ass”… The kid never caused a problem in his class again. Sometimes that's what it takes.

0|0
    0|0
  • As a teacher, I don’t want a gun in my classroom with a bunch of kids/teens that KNOW there is a gun in the classroom.

That’s a recipe for disaster. There will be more school shootings with those classroom guns being stolen & used... than school shootings with outside guns.

0|1
    0|0
  • My country doesn't allow that and I live in Florida

Anyways, I think thats the dumbest thinga ever. Especially from my experience of being in a really bad school, the teachers were sometimes worse than the students🤦🏾
    What happened to metal detectors? It seems like everyone is avoiding that.

1|0
    1|0
  • I'm all for it, but there should be a very rigorous screening to find out who's stable enough to carry a gun. There should also be extensive training for the teachers carrying. The teacher who carries, should be paid more, and all of their training should be paid.
    Ultimately, though, I think it would be much better to just have the presence of professional security who has a Glock on their hip, and an AR-15 strapped to their shoulder.
    I think that just the known presence of this, would make a would-be shooter think twice about attempting a mass shooting.

5|1
    1|0
  • America is on the decline when anything goes on the decline slowly there are two types of people, 1) those who don't care and 2) those who deny it. When more mass shootings occur, when the government and the media on both sides continue to lie and not keep their promises, when an economic crisis/depression/recession which means the US dollar decreases, global trade becomes more difficult and etc, that's when Americans will freak out. I'm sorry but this goes beyond gun laws in Florida.

1|0
    1|1
    • 8 d ago

lol I love the dislikes, keep disliking my comment and watch America crumble... it’s bound to happen within 10 years, economists are already predicting it. The USA is top 10 for most dangerous countries for women to live in, there’s another fact, another fact student debt has reached an all time high, but of course those same stupid principles America predicates on of violence, blood, murder, slavery and what makes you guys happy which is why you wiped the native population and stole their land to take “America” away. Yeah I’m Canadian and I know Canada did the same thing but at least I can admit that and not be a dick sucker to my government, y’all are fucking sheep.

• I would never send my kid to a school that allows teachers to be armed. The amount of people that accidentally shoot others, forget to put the safety on, etc. Guns do not belong in classrooms, period.

2|2
    0|0
  • ''Teachers who volunteer to bring guns to schools would have to undergo a psychological test and at least 144 hours of training, the results of which have to be approved by law enforcement.''

Neutral news to me. It's good though they make the rules on taking your firearm to your school so strict.

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as they're well trained and they don't keep the gun at their desk I think it's a good idea.

I mean teachers should have already been through a background check when being hired so they should be responsible.

Besides how many times have you heard a teacher going on a shooting?

Hey give them proper training and I think it's all good.

1|0
    1|0
    • 8 d ago

Teachers don't go on a shooting rampage because they're not currently packing heat...

• 8 d ago

Ok... Well neither are kids.

And I'm pretty sure it's much easier for an adult to get a firearm than a kid.

• I don't think it's a good thought especially with the inane Stand Your Ground law. What if they turn it on the students?

1|1
    4|2
    • 8 d ago

What if a teacher brought a gun to school regardless of the law and killed students? Would it make it any different?

• Show All
    • 8 d ago

Why would they turn it on the students? And hey Stand your ground is not insane Trayvon broke a guy's nose and cut his head and he got shot for doing it.

• 6 d ago

@StraightOuttaHades For plenty of reasons. The same reasons why people went to schools and shot them up (or theaters).

No. That law is stupid. He did NOT break his nose. Zimmerman kept FOLLOWING him when the dispatcher told him to STOP.

• It’s a terrible idea. If a student with vicious intentions get the gun. If a teacher doesn’t like a student and they give the excuse “I tried to defend myself” this will give the media more fire power to cause division like there isn’t so much already. This is scary honestly.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's great. In Russia the guns are forbidden. The young assholes still shoot each other. The media don't speak about it, because there's nothing to ban. We could ban young assholes, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Remember how teachers acted when they should work with an VHS recorder... I see ya all remember... and you wanna give this people guns... good job, good job america...

You can count the days until we have a school shooting where police dont know who shot first, but probably they will believe more in the teacher bc he is an adult...

Hopefully, most teachers choose to be without a gun in school

0|0
    0|0
  • Leave it to Florida to do something incredibly stupid.

Florida senate passes bill, allowing teachers to be armed, your thoughts?

0|0
    0|0
  • Good. If they passed a bill REQUIRING teachers to be armed then I'd have an issue.

0|1
    1|0
  • Florida is a crazy state with these laws. First you have stand your ground now this. Personally I don’t think teachers should have guns in the classroom. It is already hard enough having kids not focusing. I also don’t think it will prevent killing of people or deter. If the killer wants to kill he will find a way to do it

0|0
    0|0
  • I can see this going very wrong very easily. All it takes is for little Timmy to forget his homework, and the teacher pumps him full of lead.

Simples...

2|1
    1|0
  • Honestly, there are no words.

What if the teacher goes nuts?

Next the kids will be encouraged to carry guns.

Americans, with the greatest of respect. You're all fucking mental.

1|0
    0|0
  • I might be ok with this. I don’t see anything about how school systems spend money or notify the parents / taxpayers when they do it.

1|1
    0|0
  • I say it's ganna help the school avoid deadly shotting

4|2
    1|0
  • Not sure how I feel about this. Also, I don;t know enough, will have to do my own research before providing an informed opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's a great option. I also think it would be really cool if the school hired veterans to help protect the students. But that's another question

0|0
    1|0
  • I would only agree with it if tge teachers would be educated first on firearm safety instead of given firearms just for being teachers.

0|1
    0|1
  • Not sure how I feel about that. I wouldn't want to see a lot of my old teachers carrying a firearm lol. If I had to lean towards a direction here though, I'd say I rather arm them.

0|0
    0|0
  • My thoughts are if they simply can be armed if they want to it is fine nobody is forcing them and maybe it will save some lives

0|1
    0|0
  • So America's solution is just circulate more guns lol... great business I must say, someone is getting rich from all these gun sales, thats for sure

1|0
    0|0
  • I see both benefits and possibilities for horrible failure. Airing on the side of caution, I don’t agree with teachers being armed.

0|1
    1|2
  • If I was a teacher I would feel a lot more secure if I had a gun! At least I would have a chance if there was a shooter!

1|0
    0|1
    • 7 d ago

... Would you really? Part of your training would involve training you to shoot your own students, I have heard that teachers do not appreciate having to treat their students as hostile gunmen they have to be on guard against.

• I don't necessarily agree or disagree with it, but I do believe we have more important things that could be focused on.

0|0
    0|1
  • Seems like lots am ammunition for some krazy kid to take and use. I mean that teacher better never take it off. I mean keep it on him AND very hidden under a coat or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • Great. I know I'd have loved to be taught by a teacher who was mentally prepared to shoot any one of us. Can't you just put locks on the doors and build solid walls?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think teachers should carry guns in school. But at least this law puts a lot of restrictions on it. It requires the local district to approve it. It also requires fairly extensive background check and training for teachers who want to carry. I don't think you are going to see large numbers of teachers carrying.

The whole school shooting thing is so sensationalized and blown out of proportion. If people actually looked at this rationally, it wouldn't even be an issue. People are seriously over reacting.

0|0
    0|0
  • It should not be necessary but unfornutaly it is needed. Most schools in the US have lax security. If an armed lunatic comes onto a school they are sitting ducks.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m a left winger (at least by American standards) but some of my views on guns aren’t exactly what you would expect, but I absolutely don’t want teachers armed it’s a laughably ridiculous idea and it’s very easy to see it’s tragic outcome

0|0
    0|0
  • Queayion from UK

How exactly does it work?

• Do they have to have a test on using it - like say us marines

• Is it limited to certain calibre

• Is limited to firearms or taser and batons, rubber rounds etc

0|0
    0|0
    • 8 d ago

It’s a voluntary process, that involves a background check, psychological evaluations, and county sheriff’s mandated training.

• horrible idea considering there are many cases of teachers ending up being predators/pedophiles. one with the wrong intentions could seriously hurt a student

0|0
    0|0
  • I support it. We don't need these fucking white boys with mental health issues traumatizing everyone.

1|0
    0|0
  • Teacher: "No talking in my class or I'll blow your brains out!"

Teacher: "What did I just say Ahmed?"
    Ahmed: "we are learning about the brain?"

*Shots being fired*

0|0
    0|0
  • They're going to solve the gun problem by making more people carry guns? In England we call that Irish Logic. But hey, whatever keeps the NRA happy. It's such an August body.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes