China's heavily into solar power. India's an ideal location to use it. Meanwhile the USA gives hundreds of billions a year to subsidise fossil fuels. Just put the same money into renewables, instead, and it would make a significant difference.
@goaded Okay, the US is still only 13% of global co2 emissions. We turn that to 0 and there's still the other 87% to worry about. Not to mention there's going to be an environmental impact from mining and processing these 'green' energy farms and by having vast sprawls of them. Just how many forests are we going to have to chop down to have enough solar panels to power the world?There's valid ways we can make changes to help the environment, but the typical privileged leftist routine is to shout and yell about how the planet is dying and it's so sad, and that the right is at fault, as they fly around on private jets, live in large homes with the AC on full blast, and consume much more than the average person. It's hypocritical and disingenuous, nobody like that cares about their cause, it's just an exercise in emotion masturbation and self-praise."Good job me, I'm doing the right thing, I'm saving the planet with my tears. Everybody look at me and remember my name for this deed."And really, if wind turbines and solar panels were obviously the solution to climate change, why wouldn't they get more support? The fact that the left has to trot out their idols and sophistry reveals that they have a shit hand, that their position can't be overwhelmingly supported by data, and that there must be other motives to their actions.
"the US is still only 13% of global co2 emissions. We turn that to 0 and there's still the other 87% to worry about."How about you deal with that, and leave the other 95% of the world's population to deal with their share? I'd also argue that demand from the US (and the west, generally) causes a lot of the emissions from places like China."Just how many forests are we going to have to chop down to have enough solar panels to power the world?"None. You put solar in deserts, and wind in farmland. From a conservative estimate from 2009 (when panels were less effective) you need about 10x the amount of land currently used for golf courses, worldwide, or 5x the area used by the US highway system to power the whole world with solar alone (no wind/tide/etc.)."if wind turbines and solar panels were obviously the solution to climate change, why wouldn't they get more support?"Money, obviously. The US government pays out over $600bn a year in fossil fuel subsidies. How much do you think they put into renewables? Take away the subsidies, and the alternatives get even more competetive.
@goaded Mhhm, see, I think even having a stupid discussion like this is more productive than parading around a 16 year old girl. The only thing little greta does for me is foster more disdain for the other side as a result of them using her to try to emotionally manipulate me and others.
Maybe, but we wouldn't be having this conversation if it wasn't for her!(I forgot to mention roofs, there's a lot of space for solar on roofs, and you only have to pass the excess into the grid, as well as taking less from it.)
@goaded It's not like this is the first time either of us have been exposed to climate change and energy discussion, and it won't be the last.The only thing Greta accomplishes is undermining the movement and making skeptics dig their heels in deep. Nobody wants to be lectured by a child, it's demeaning, and isn't the whole point to demean? Like... does anyone actually believe that she's going to accomplish any meaningful policy or is she going to just cause a commotion?Personally, I think less fossil fuels would be good, this whole 'end of the world' thing is very overblow, but the true way to becoming as environmentally friendly as possible is through new technology.
What is this sinister agenda they crave and propose, exactly?Keeping the world safe for humanity?
@goaded You mean the illusion of the danger that doesn't exist? in order to hallucinate the youth and raise a new generation by fear and using that fear to transform them in the way they want? Keep saving the world sir.
Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions
It means messiah
Ah. No I’ve never heard of her being called that