Brexit Withdrawal Agreement Bill Passed: Thoughts?

SpiderManFan2002
So, we will have formally left the EU by 31st January 2020.

We will enter an 11-month transition period.

However, during that transition process, the UK will still have to obey EU laws but will have no say in making them. And the European Court of Justice (ECJ) will still have powers during the transition period, so British cases can be referred to the ECJ.

So have we really left the EU?

Or have we just left on paper?

And many critics have claimed that an 11-month transition period is an unrealistic time period to negotiate a trade deal. So let's say the critics are correct, and Johnson doesn't manage to negotiate a deal, then we leave with a "no-deal" Brexit. And let's say the critics are correct, and Johnson doesn't manage to negotiate a deal, then we leave with a "no-deal" Brexit.

Here are my sources, take it upon yourself to read them:

https://www.BBC.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50870939

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/20/what-happens-after-brexit-bill-is-passed

My Opinion
In my opinion, this deal is made to look like we've left the EU, but in reality we haven't. Because if we've really left, then how come we still have to follow EU rules, and the ECJ still have power over us?

Back in 2016, the British public voted to "take back control" but if anything, in this 11-month transition period- we've lost more control.

Because let's say the EU pass a law, which negatively affects the British people- we have no say in it, but we'll still have to follow it regardless, because we'll still be in the EU for 11 months. Now this may not happen, but it may happen- and if it does happen, there is nothing we can do about it.

It took them 3.5 years to negotiate an 11 month transition period, so there is no way Johnson will be able to negotiate a permenant deal in 11 months.

We haven't really left. We've only left on paper- not in action.
Add Opinion