#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

Is Valentine's day traditionally celebrated in your nation?

Most nations didn't really have this specific holiday in the past, but with the ever cascading cultural influence the USA have on the World it's increasingly common. So, has your nation traditionally celebrated a holiday such as this? If so, on which way? Was it replaced or supplemented by Valentine's day, or have your people not given in to the americanisation?

914

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in the U. S. so.. yes lol. As kids we'd hand out Valentine's Day cards to the rest of the class. As adults, go on special dates with significant others. Full of cards, flowers, chocolates, and stuffed animals, I don't know if other countries are the same. Originally the holiday is supposed to be a day to honor Saint Valentine, but America is good at creating random traditions. Like Drinking for Saint Patrick's Day, though that one came from the Irish. No idea how Valentine's Day became love day

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Well, Saint Valentine was put to death for illegally marrying couples, so it's not really off.

What Girls Said 8

• Nope. Infact, I believe this day was created with the intention to make money off of unsuspecting victims.

• Our economy celebrate it. It is mostly for flower shops

• Yes and i HATE this stupid day

• I don't like it either, even when in a relationship. It was fun as a kid I guess.

• Well, if they had a symbol for "we use really intrusive DRM to protect this" I'd also use it, same if they had a symbol for either patented or patent pending.

• Like if you wanna use that name for your sweets you gotta pay us all the money.

• Yeah

• Yes it is

• Yeah and no is it in yours

• Yes.

• Yesssss we dooo

What Guys Said 13

• Russia and Ukraine certainly do on 14th February. Its not on the list of official holidays but everyone gives presents to each other, and not only to the 'only ones' but to friends and even teachers also

• Teachers? Where I live the teacher is seem as a figure of authority, much like one's superior at work, making this sound a little weird to me. Then again, it does sound like a nice day.

• Valentines day is not a holiday, you get on time off or anything like that. It is just a day, when the cost of flower candy/chocolate a movie and dinner all go up. Because business owners have convinced women, that this day is the one day of the year that love is special.

• Yes. And it’s really ironic how most people in relationships forget about this day and single people be like “Another single Valentine’s Day...”

• No. Some couples use it as a day to do something special but it's not celebrated as the day you're supposed to get your courage up and ask your crush out.

• UK. Yes, but that's not because the is does. ( I think if you look at the history the US is following Europe on this one )

• Well, I'm certain there's places outside the old world who didn't traditionally have this holiday (legend says non-Christian peoples exist). I don't think it's a stretch that the cultural influence of the USA causes some of those places to start adopting this tradition - imagine an Iran that didn't have a cultural rollback with Islam, for example.

• They don't have a shared human emotion of love. That's the whole joke.

• Well, noch quite but I'm too lazy to explain more.

• It's not celebrated in my country traditionally so I'll keep ignoring anyone or anything that aludes to it

• It's up to you to celebrate it, not the nation state to do it for you.

• Unfortunately, though I personally don't know anyone that buys into this corporate bs

• Yes it is

• Abit I guess?

• Yeah

• Yes starts in January ends Feb 14

• Yes but I have no girlfriend Hahahaha