#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

What's your opinion on Valentine's Day?

What's your opinion on Valentine's Day?Yes.. The lovey-dovey holiday that the world goes crazy about!

Quite frankly, when I was little, I really liked it because I basically got a bunch of candy from classmates because we'd all trade candies with each other.. But as I got into middle and high school, I started to loathe it because I'd never been in a relationship and couldn't help but feel a bit jealous towards all the obvious couples in the halls etc. but more recently, I've found that it's not just about couples.
I think that Valentine's Day is moreso a holiday just to love and appreciate the ones around you. Friends and family! Not solely romantic partners.. And I feel like society really pushes for a heavy influence on solely couples.. When I don't feel that that's necessarily what it's all about.. It's just what businesses like to make their money on. So even if now, I have my first SO for Valentine's Day, I still feel like it's a day to celebrate friendships and general connections between humanity..
Basically, I think if it as a more intimate thankfulness for others. Sure, there's Thanksgiving, but that's thanking everything.. I feel like Valentine's Day is moreso for the people who've really made a difference in your life.. The ones you love!

What do you think?

1527

Most Helpful Guy

• It's kinda like rain. You know how when you're out for an interview or something, immaculately dressed, and it starts raining? On the other hand, you're out of the beach with your SO, there's no one around to ruin your shared solitude, and you know there's week left of the vacation so getting sick ain't an issue... and then it starts raining.
    Same here. Situations vary and drag our perspectives along with them :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never felt strongly about it either way. When I was a teenager, it would irk me that the biography of Saint Valentine--the holiday's patron saint (who may have actually been two different people)--does not suggest a personal association with romantic love. In fact, the historical origins of Valentine's Day have very little do with love and romance, in any measure.

But, nowadays, I don't particularly care about it. I use it to my advantage--namely, to assuage my guilt about binging on sweets.

I do like your idea, though, about using it as a celebratory occasion, not just for romantic partners, but an all-inclusive for everyone you love.

• Thanks! It's just something that I've realized when reflecting on this holiday over a few weeks! :)

Valentines Day

What Guys Said 26

• I see no problem with having a holiday to celebrate romantic love. Not everyone has an SO and they feel jealous.

Guess what? Every Fathers' Day, people celebrate their father and mine was a sorry sack of shit who died 10 years ago. I don't spend the day being self-absorbed and feeling resentful of others.

• No problem with it great for couples that have busy lives. It is used for money by commercials but that doesn't make Christmas any less special does it? Celebrate it the way you want with your partner.

• It is convenient for it to also be your birthday. It's easy for your family and friends to remember. And whether you are in a relationship or not, you still come out on top.

But like most other holidays, it's very commercialized. What it's meant to truly recognize (the execution day of St. Valentine) is not generally well known.

• It's all about the money , money , money !! What is romantic about a plastic , pre-packed " love " day ? Isn't being spontaneous romantic? In British speak it is NOT a holiday... that means a day off !!

• Sets up for good chocolate discounts the days after lol

• I dont need Valentine's day to express my love with gifts, its just another day to make more business, nothing so special about it.

• I think Valentines Day is a great day for people who have someone special i their life but with no one special in ones life it's just another day.

• Boring as hell.
    its just like another crappy day to me

• I really couldn't care less about it. But I also can't imagine anything worse than being in a relationship so...

• I hate how females seem to want that day to be special, but turn a guy down at every other opportunity because they think he's not romantic.

• It was invented by the flower and greeting card cartel.

• I am very sad that the Most people need a Special day to Show what they are feeling

• They don't? It's a day to celebrate it. Or do you think lovers don't appreciate one another until that one day?

• Thats Not what i was trying to say haha sorry... I mean that some people Just live with each Others. And than they are they are the best and happiest couple Just because of this day

• I hate it and always will do even if/when i ask the girl im dating to be my girlfriend

• Commercialized consumer holiday.

• A day for women to get what they want

• I am sad

• Great... for the economy and people

• I hate Valentine's Day... Pointless.

• It's my birthday so I kind of like it. Ja ja

• Made up holiday that shouldn't even exist.

• I could live without it quite frankly

• Over hyped

• Scam to make money.

• Useless Holiday, not worth the effort.

• It's fucking stupid

• Have to buy myself again something sweet.

What Girls Said 14

• I dislike it because I think it's too focused on women. Men should be getting love and appreciation too, but Valentine's Day is all about men appreciating their girlfriends, and it's almost never reciprocated in the same way.

• Valentine (Valentino/a in Italian) is the name celebrated on 14th February, every day there is a name celebrated (name-day) and most names are associate with saints, Valentine was a martyr and now saint patron (protector) of Terni (near my city), it is not sure that he is the saint of the celebration of love, but it doesn't seem there are any saints who are like um "saints of love", this celebration just started to exist to celebrate couples and love in general, but yeah mainly couples, I think it started like mother's day, father's day, I always thought it is unfair that there is no children's day...
    Anyway I think it is okay to celebrate each day like we want, other then conventional way...
    Even of saying this, I'm really looking to celebrate it with my boyfriend πŸ˜›

• I think that Valentine's Day is a nice push once a year for couples to really stop and take time to let their SO know how much they love and appreciate them, because I think that a lot of couples tend to take each other for granted and don't really make that special effort anymore.

Interestingly, my English sister-in-law told me that Valentine's Day is a very North American thing, and it's not really done at all in the UK.

• It's really nice for those that want to celebrate it, but too much commercialism ruins the point of it like with every other yearly celebration.

• I think it’s a nice day to celebrate love! Other than that I don’t think much of it!

• Dislike this holiday strongly I’m always alone for it. LOL

• It's stupid. I couldn't care less about it. So cheesy and corny.

• I absolutely love it even though I've never been given anything. ❀

• I don't like it I have a boyfriend he's nice ( mostly haha ) it's just another money making gimmick

• It's a pointless holiday invented by the flower/chocolate industry to make some more money.

• It is a Hallmark holiday πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• I could do without it.

• Its too commercialized

• I like it when I have someone to spend it with

Valentines Day