#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

Native German speakers, can you help me?

I have recently started dating a woman who was born and raised in Hessen, Germany. She has been in the US for many years and her English is very good, but it is her second language. I want to send her red roses for Valentine's Day with a message in German:

What I want to say is: I want to hold your hand, kiss your sweet lips, and touch your heart. Happy Valentine's Day

Is this correct? Ich möchte deine Hand halten, deine süßen Lippen küssen und dein Herz berühren. Fröhlichen Valentinstag

Should Hand, Lippen, and Herz be capitalized? Ich spreche Deutsch, nur ein kleines bisschen. . . kleines, kleines, kleines bisschen! :)

711

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes that's correct

• You could also go for Lieblichen Lippen - it's basically the same

• It’s a good thing not to think too much ahead, I’m glad i could help good sir!

Most Helpful Guy

• "Liebliche lippen"
    Would be a but better than "süsse lippen"
    Because süsse lippen can often mean hot lips.
    And i feel like you want to go more the romantic route than slightly erotic.

Of course , süsse can go both ways, its used for both romantic and sexual sentences, but liebliche is always innocent.

Eberything else is perfect.

I would say, "i wanna hold your hands" instead of "hand"
    Sounds a bit better in English, but in german, the singular sounds better.
    So , its all good, and you can choose liebliche or süsse for sweet, depending on how you want it to sound.

Maybe süsse might be okay as well, a slight bit of passion/eroticness may be ok in an otherwise romantic message.
    Its up to you man.
    Good luck

• thanks formho.
      was the message well recieved?

• Well, good for you to move on.
      No point in looking back

• Yes, mourning will not bring her back to me. It accomplishes nothing. We had four or five dates and I did not have feelings of great attachment so there is no need for a grieving process.

What Girls Said 6

• How sweet! I definitely know how nerve wracking it can be to give your SO a short message in their native language when you don't speak it yourself. I did something very similar for my husband several years ago. He appreciated the effort more than anything and it meant a lot to him.

I think your lady will also appreciate the effort. Like you, I don't speak German, so I can only hope you're on the right track.

• I'm no help here. Just wanted to say that is so super sweet. Wish more guys were so thoughtful.

• I agree with you in that regard.
      Nice to see that there are still gentlemen out there.

• It’s been a long time but I think that’s correct. The only one I would question would be Lippen only because I had an inkling it was a linked word. I only did gcse though

• That's correct and yes it should be capitalised , really sweet idea

• Yes, they should be capitalized. You translated it all correctly.

• Where are you from originally?

What Guys Said 10

• Roses are the appropriate flowers to give a German girl, if you love her.

• I don;t love her. We have only had three dates. I am very impressed with her, I very much like her, and I would like to develop a romantic relationship with her.

• I remember from my German, that it was a no no to send roses, unless there was a romantic link involved. I don't know if a small, growing romance warranted was or okay for roses, or if it needed to be a stronger romance. Probably a developing romance was okay for roses.

• She is aware of my attraction to her and my desire for a closer relationship, and she has loved in the US for 30+ years. I'll send roses.

• It's cool that you want to learn her native language.. try Rosetta stone

• Thanks for the recommendation! Does this message sound appropriate for a very refined German woman? I know it would be okay for an American woman but sometimes cultures have funny little quirk and twists.

• * I want to hold your hand, kiss your sweet lips, and touch your heart. Happy Valentine's Day*

heygorgeoussa.files.wordpress.com/.../...-mfyx.gif

• Im not a native speaker but i lived there for 2 years and had a german girl. There’s nothing wrong with what you’ve wrote. It’s perfect. 🙂

• Congratulations, you old dog!

• Thanks! This woman has so much old-fashioned class that she reminds me of Nancy Reagan. . . but with a German accent!

• use google translate

• Yes, that was my starting point, but it is not perfect and this is too important to take a chance. I don;t want to accidentally tell her that her face looks like a goat! :)

• hahahahahhahahahah
      right

• yeah, it's all correct

• Very classy.

• That is really sweet.

• Yes, nouns are capitalized in German. It's grammatically correct...