#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

Is Valentine's Day more for women?

Is Valentine's Day more for the women or do you think it's also for the men?
  • Woman
  • Men
  • Both
    Vote C

4885

Most Helpful Guy

• Great question but i really believe its for both but i also believe valentines should not be a one of thing it seems like everyone waits for valentines or birthdays before they treat there partners special should be an everyday thing

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it’s more targeted for women sadly, however, I hope both sexes take advantage of the day and spoil each other, instead of one person doing everything.

What Guys Said 84

• The mdeia promoted Valentine’s Day and shops enforced it by Ads and Merchandise.

Women were specifically targeted and in no time it became a standard to any relationship.

I never heard nor saw any man with sentimental attachment to Valentine’s Day, so its for women

• I'd say it is for women. It is a holiday the woman gets to sit back and wait for the guy to do something "romantic" for her. She has no obligation to do anything.

If the holiday came and went and neither person did anything, the man would get in trouble for neglecting her... not the other way around.

• I think that it is predominately geared toward the men & women in relationships only. I do think the ladies do give back a little bit more too, but strictly to the men in their lives which is understandable. At the same time I don't a "crush" coming along my way or a random girl chatting me up wanting to take me out for a drink or even a coffee anytime soon.

• Well technically its for the stores selling flowers, chocolates, Teddy bears, jewellery and hallmark cards, but I think we all know who the intended beneficiaries are.

• Never had an experience but I'm telling what I saw, the Valentine's day is for women because it's the men who gives flowers, chocolates, teddy bears etc. To the girl and men get love in return but I think it's worth if she is happy 🙂 nothing matter more or less if it comes to her happiness 😄

• I feel like it's marketed more towards women. Just look at all the stuff that is sold around Valentine's Day, flowers, teddy bears etc. All stuff that men typically buy for their wives or girlfriends. Also from what I can gather, it tends to be the man who takes care of all the arrangements e. g. the romantic dinner. Spoiling the misses is very much the crux of it all.

• I think it depends more on the generation. For my generation and those older, it is almost entirely about the woman and her getting stuff or getting angry if she doesn't, but doing nothing for the man.
    In the younger generations (currently 27 and under) I think it is much more common for women to also think of the guy and show that she cares too.

• Its for the money. What is romantic about celebrating your love on the same day and in the exact same ways as everyone else?
    Id pick women out of your options though.

• It's capitalism taking advantage of gullible shoppers. Anyone with a brain knows you don't need a specific day to show someone you love them. However females do get targeted by the advertisements more.

• Man goes out of his way to plan an event for her, cooks dinner, acts romantic, his gift is the fact that she will affirm his actions with sex.

• Why even the need for a name to do that? That's what couples in love are suppose to be doing for each other (equally, not just the man being romantic) anyways, not just because it's Valentine's Day.

• Love isn't materialistic valentines day is but regardless of that fact i think men and women only cellebrate it when they're in a relationship which means that gay people and lesbians and straight people all celebrate it so i think it's just as much for men as it is for women maybe the kindness means more to women and maybe they value it more but it's meant to be about love and not about sexes.

• Valentines day is For capitalism (at least the Version which Had been exported to Europe)
    And Here the people who do that think its For the women because they invented "schniblotag" (Schnitzel-Blowjob Day) one month later

• Its mostly for guys.
    Think I'm wrong? Dont buy your girl something and see how much of his world becomes chaos.
    (Aside from the unicorns that dont care for v-day)

• The purpose of this day is to celebrate love. It's not meant to be for women or for men, but more women care about this day than most men do. More girls like romance than guys.

• Basically more women buy into this day than men so it may feel like it's meant for women but it never was.

• neither its a bullshit "holiday" created by companies to make money buy convincing society that a man has to buy a woman expensive things and make women believe that a man doesn't love her if he doesn't

• Valentines Day is bullshit... another way for women to pressure men to show artificial appreciation. That's ALL it is.

• While in today's world, I feel Valentine's Day is " more so " for the women than men. It is still important to tell, not text, your special someone and tell/remind that, that they're loved.

• Both. Shit it should be Valentine's day everyday for your significant other

• It's mostly for the companies and business that profit off of it.

Waaaaay back in the day, however, it was for the orgies.

• I don't see power tools being advertised on Valentine's day... so yeah, it's mostly for women... but I can see how it's for both at the same time.

• Boy, that was a grand flip flop! Did your girlfriend look over your shoulder just then?
      Your point about power tools carries a ton of weight. Any evidence like that regarding how it really is marketed equally toward men and women?

• More from Guys
    64

What Girls Said 47

• Valentine's day here in Italy (where the saint originated) is both for woman and men, everyone thinks for a gift idea for their loved ones, maybe the guys struggle a little bit more with gift shopping (sorry I don't know really!) and they want to give super special great gifts (totes appreciated!) but yeah I love and care for my valentine boy too ❤

• I'd say a lot of the show is for women but woman normally do something for their man too. If all else after all the flowers and chocolate, your probably going to get a good rub down and some sweet loving so maybe it'll be worth it, plus making your woman happy will make your relationship better and earn you some points. Happy woman are more likely to want to get physical ;)

• Lmao. Basically, go out of your way and earn the sex that I want to have with you. I like the mentality, its like, the man is meant to plan and be romantic and loving and do everything right, and then the woman is like, "I'm going to make this special with sex, that thing we probably do quite often unless we have an unhealthy relationship.". It's hypocritical and obviously for the woman. Imagine a holiday where you planned and prepared a romantic event for you and your SO, and you got them a thoughtful gift they loved, and did the things that make them happy, then at the end of the night they go, "I'm going to repay you by eating you out for 15 minutes and then we're gunna have sex." You'd probably laugh or be offended, sex, by nature of it, can't be something held over one member in a relationship, its a two way street.

• And by the way, I'd love to get a full body massage by my man, that would be a fantastic Valentine's day gift to me so again your point is null and void.

• What is my point? I think you're getting overly defensive for no reason... Hmm..

• I think society targets women more. That they should be the ones taken out to dinner, given gifts etc but I think it is for both. It’s about spending the day with the one you love. Maybe it is an excuse to go to a. Fancy restaurant or buy her a pretty necklace but it’s about the relationship an the love. Besides it doesn’t have to be for couples. It can be for the love between best friends or siblings or parents and their kids.

• So what do you get your man on Valentine’s Day

• Well since Valentine’s Day is For both people do we split the bill at dinner?

• @soundlessguy that depends on that couple.

• It is for people in a relationship, but it is geared more towards woman due to them being more demanding of being spoilt, and the media taking advantage of a woman's love for material items and buying.

• It's for COUPLES because Valentine's Day celebrates COUPLES. I don't think it's right to say Valentine's Day is just for one specific gender, especially in this day and age when there are more than just 2 genders and 1 kind of couple.

• Well, if you're lesbian, I would think more for girls.
    But if straight, then I think there would have to be some boys involved somewhere for that holiday to work as designed... lol

• You don't need one day out of a year to proclaim your love for your SO. Love is something you freely give everyday. The greatest gift is love and all the ways we show it. Valentine's day is a day a lot of companies hope to make bank on a freshly painted item that was around last year to try and get another buck. But there are people out there who do celebrate this imperticular day. That said, I think it's more for both. The men like to surprise and be spontaneous and the ladies love that stuff.

• The ones who actually benefit the most are none other than corporations, supermarkets, corportations, etc. If anything, it should be their Valentine's Day.

Why do you even need a name to show how much you love your partner or friends and family? It's not even a Holiday. Money is still spend on dates every now and then on random days anyways.

• It's often viewed that way, but it really shouldn't be. Valentine's day is about love, and love is not just for women.

• These votes make me sad. I’d never celebrate Valentine’s Day if it just made my boyfriend feel even less special. It’s v day not girlfriend day

• I get my boyfriend gifts every year. I like giving and receiving and it’s important to me that he feels loved and spoiled like i do.

• I think Valentine's day is for companies, restaurants and materialistic BS.
    No one needs a specific day to show their partner how much they love them.

• if a man is in love he's also looking forward to Valentine's day. Since a couple just wants to have a lovely day together. why shouldn't be both happy about it?

• It depends how you celebrate it. I believe it can be about both... presents are not a necessity it is the one night a year you can share (child free for some) dressing up going to sonewhere nice and spending some real quality time together x

• i think both! the romance may be more for women but can be nice for both. and from what i know from myself and some of my girl friends, women like to put on sexy things for their men too. :p

• Valentine day is overrated. I don't like the day. I don't need a day to show my love to someone, I do that everyday.

• Both. The people who say woman clearly are/were in a bad relationship or have a messed up view. All the girls I know give guys stuff too and it’s not psychical. And so did I.

• Literally every single woman you've ever known went all out for their fellas the way men are expected to on Valentine's day?
      You aren't just living in a different society, you're on an entirely different planet than where I live. How many hours in a day there? How many days in a year? What do you call your planet? Can I get there from Earth?

• I think its for both, since couples usually do make presents to eachother on this day... but it's mostly commercial.

• Geezus... where are you from?

• Because I haven't known anyone to make things for each other on Valentine's day since grade skool. Ever since, it's been 100% about guys doing things and buying things for girls. Your perspective is completely foreign to my experience, so I'm assuming you live in a culture very different from mine. Just curious where that is... might like to visit some day.

• @Chaz269 Well, I'm living in Germany and originally from Russia and in both cultures it seems to be the case that both partners give small presents to eachother, at least as far as I heard and experienced myself. I assumed that thats the case everywhere else too.
      Everything else would seem way too unfair to me, to be honest.

• Centered toward women, but what man doesn't love a reason to spoil his woman? It's a preset date on the calendar that reminds him to show how much he cares incase he's forgot to lately.

• That's fine if you are doing the same. But if you are just expecting him to treat you, and you never return the sentiment, it gets old quick.

• I think women are better at showing love on a daily basis. We are wired to be more in touch with our emotions and feelings then men are. We both do things to show how much we still care about each other frequently.

I think this one commercial holiday is a good reminder to help you stop and think wether you've shown it lately or let the everyday things in life occupy all your time.

We've been married 18 years now so we both must be doing something right.

• NOPE CAUSE I HATE VALENTINES DAY! I've NEVER HAD A boyfriend SO I SUFFER EVERY YEAR

• It's Not in the Bible, Man Made Here, dear, Not for God But for... Both. xx

• More from Girls
    27