#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

Are guys typically romantic on Valentine’s Day? Or is that a generalized expectation?

• Yes, my boyfriend is romantic on this day and mostly all the time.
  • No, that is not realistic.

4277

Most Helpful Guy

• It is generally an expectation. Most guys feel, that is an overrated holiday. Love should be shown 365 days a year and not just one day. It is just a commercialized holiday geared toward capitalism. Lets face it. If your partner made you feel loved, wanted, and needed every day of the year, you wouldn't need Valentines day. Additionally, the expectations shown in commercials, movies, and mainstream media, create unrealistic expectations on both parties in a relationship. Focus on a special day you make with them, not one that society deems to be necessary.

• Chill out. Its a day to celebrate love, nothing else. How could that be so wrong?

• @CMC93 I never said I wouldn't. But what I do that day would/should also be shown on the other 364 days of the year. She should feel special every day.

• Very true, I agree 100%.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that they want to be but many boys just don't know what to do.
    Boys can get their feelings hurt more easily than most girls realize and are afraid of rejection.
    What if you don't like what they got you?
    Will you let them know that?
    What ever happened to the "It is the thought that counts" motto?
    Ever throw a present back at a boy and say "Why did you get me that!"
    It does happen, believe it, or not.
    Boys are simple but girls... we're not so much sometimes.
    If you have a good boy who is trying, show him some love and remember, if you're good to him...
    "A real man will swim through shark-infested waters to bring you a lemonade." -Dr. Laura.

• " Ever throw a present back at a boy and say "Why did you get me that!" ... Happened to me , was my now ex wife... she never received anything from me ever again !! Good comment , and what you commented on , is sadly for most males , a not uncommon experience !! As a single dad , it will never be an issue for me again.

• @FatherJack Thank you Mr FJ for your kind confirmation :)
      With age comes much wisdom. I don't have the age yet but I learn everything about life from my parents and they love to teach me about these things.
      You are also filled with that wisdom, thank you so much for sharing it too!

• @laurieluvsit Thank you , wisdom is mostly learned the hard way , you are more mature than most of your peers , I can tell that !

What Guys Said 76

• As a guy I'd say that being romantic is not about that day. It's in everyday life. If you only do something romantic because it is Valentines day then you are probably not very romantic at all.
    And you can ne romantic without doing something on that specific day as well.

• yes most of them actually are however nowadays many men are lost between the contradictions of expectations and hate for the male gender role.
    it's hard to know how you should act so that a woman will favor you without distorting who you actually are, cause women will hate it when a guy is not manly but they will also hate it, when a man doesn't treat them as an equal, which in many ways is the fundation for the male gender role...

• I feel you on that, but I guess just be yourself and act in a way that you feel comfortable with as a man. I am sure a girl would really appreciate it. Not all girls put guys in that dilemma. I still like my man to do his role as a man. Equal doesn't mean I have to be treated just like his guy friends. Equal for me means to have equal opportunies and rights. I'm still a woman at the end of the day and he is still a man, and even science proves that we behave and think differently based on our nature.

• @Blossom5 the "be how you're comfortable" thing does not help if you want romance. You gotta be dominant and very assertive and confident or else you will end up in the friendzone. But then if you are a little too dominant and assertive, you tapp into harassment territory. It's a fine line to walk...

• Look, about 90% guys don't care about this blatant corporate exploitation event UNLESS you (the girl in the relationship) hints (not subtlety) at it.
    So don't expect anything unless you tell him you want something, and even then don't forget valentines goes both ways. If you want romanticism by all means go for it but also provide it!

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No, we are NOT romantic on Valentine's day. Valentine's day is an odious duty imposed upon us by the females. We only put up with it because of how childishly they will behave if we don't pretend it matters.

• Is it a US thing to refer to V Day as a " holiday " ? In UK speak , holiday means a day off work ( or time in lieu ) , to mark a special day , or a statutory holiday , such as Easter Monday. V Day is just another day , a reminder to me I'm another year older in 2 days time !!

• All day in an year is same to a normal man or women... but their birthday is special to them... Same as for every lovers... The valentines day is the day which is more special... and they become more romantic... since they trust n valuble the power of love

• When I was in my 20s, yes, I did do romantic things for Valentine's Day, but not since I turned 30. I plan to do it again with a new girlfriend so am paying attention to the Valentine's Day Mytakes and questions as well as reponses by others.

• Expectation. The end. The romantic are THE ROMANTICS.

Stop trying to fit things into boxes. Some guys and gals THE ROMANTICS are giving their all. The rest of us are not. Such is life. Get over your expectations and find the guy you're looking for.

• It is a mistake to believe that romanticism is a (positive) character feature or even a sort of feeling. Instead, it is a cultural habit of certain regions that recently has been over-rated and exploited by commercial un-culture. Especially, being placed close to the beginning of spring time, V-day must be considered to be a part of primitive western mating rituals.

• There is societal pressure for men to be romantic (worship) to women on valentines day. Also the pressure from the partner in the relationship. If we were left to our own devices valentines day wouldn't be a thing.

• Just another day to love my babe.

Why do we need to dedicate a day to express our feelings to our loved ones when that’s how we should be with them ALL the time? That’s why I hate valentines day

• If I were to do anything for Valentine's day I'd do it a week late, and if possible I'd try to cook her favorite meal n watch a movie on Netflix. Not much of an outgoing guy, simple n small things are key for me

• The only reason a man would change and be romantic is because he doesn't want to be badmouthed by his girlfriend. Girls are the gossip gender.

• Most women don't appreciate those things.
    I, personally still try to do social things, but then, well. They consider it just a regular day.

• Oh, you mean "spend money on my girlfriend" day? Yeah, not me. It's a day I happily ignore.

• I think when a guy is interested in a girl, he’ll want to Express romance. That expression may be different from guy to guy though.

• I'm only romantic when I feel like it, I'm certainly not going to force myself to be romantic just because some supposedly "special" day says I have to be.

• Now, it depends on the man. Some can be romantic, but generally, and it's. stereotype to expect romance on Valentine's Day. However, one shouldn't expect to be romantic once a year, that should be a lifetime commitment.

• He is just celebrating the day.. same like his birthday.. normally everyone is be happy nd more enthu on that day compared to other days.. he is just celebrating the day with you.. that may look like he is more romantic on this day..

• valentines day is a bullshit "holiday" created by companies to make money by convincing the public that men should buy expensive things and make women think that they don't love them if they don't fuck valentines day! fuck it all the way to hell!

• Actually that's not true. Valentine's Day was made after the death of Saint Valentine.

• almost it at first had nothing to do with any of the things that it has been commercialized to be and was about soldiers being able to get married because emperor Claudius believed that unmarried soldiers who had nothing to lose fought better then ones who were married. and with polygamy being more popular than single person marriage, the ones who had children and, for lack of a better term, wives, would still fight better than the married ones because the "wives" would all help each other take care of the children
      and he was an emperor not a king

• what valentine did was preform marriage ceremonies under the guise of christianity within the ranks of the military disobeying the emperor and he was sentenced to death

• More from Guys
    56

What Girls Said 41

• I think it's an expectation that they're supposed to uphold. But I think a man should be romantic every single day. Not just Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day is not even a real holiday. It's a comercialized holiday that gift and card stores use to lure people into buying their stuff. It's a load of scam for false hopes and dreams.

• If you need a day to tell you to be romantic then it's just expectation. You have the rest of the year to do the same if you want. It's not to say guys can't be romantic but a set day telling you to woo your partner just isn't.

• Few men are actually creative & enthusiastic in regards to "being romantic." Generally they want to do the bare minimum to reap the benefits of being in a relationship.

• Please tell me what women do to go beyond the call of duty in regards of relationships. Women grow up on watching rom coms and think why isn't my guy like that. In really women have unrealistic expectations of what a relationship should be. Since when is putting a woman on a pedestal a good relationship?

• Because there isn't a stereotype of men having to listen to women blather on or about them always letting them win arguments. Nope not to mention most jobs aren't glamorous and it's much more easier being a housewife than being in a blue collar job which can often be dangerous depending on profession. Men by far give the most I relationships.

• Fine bitxh be a house husband and stop whining. Emotional ass. 😂😂😂

• Depends on the guy. Would rather him show me he loves me everyday (no gifts or surprises needed to show this) then on just one day. Valentine's day is overratted and not worth the money that people spend on this day.

• Some guys are romantic only on VD, some more often, and some V Day is just too much pressure. I rather something special and romantic more often than on VDay. I prefer to stay home and have a nice dinner, movie and great sex on this day.

• It depends how your relationship is going. If you both are happy then he will give lots of love presents but if u had a fight then he will show little bit less interest

• It seems like you need more poll choices to coincide with your question. I think a guy will make an effort to be romantic with you on Valentine’s Day even if he’s not overly romantic the rest of the year.

• Well there is no rule that states that guys have to be romantic on Valentine's day, but most girls would like to have a romantic guy on Valentine's day.
    Most woman prefer a romantic, but there are some that don't. It really depends on the person your asking or trying to impress

• I think girls expect too much. Like they expect it to be like in the movies. But that's not realistic

• It obviously depends on the guy, if he isn't romantic and he knows you like romance, he's not the best boyfriend.

• Depends... if she expects the guy to do all the romance in the relationship like she’s a princess & he’s her servant: not all guys are into that. Otoh if it’s mutual that’s good.

• Yeah, perfect explanation. 👍

• My Valentine's present from my boyfriend, he actually gifted to me for Christmas...

• It really depends on the couple tbh... My boyfriend and I had so much planned and now we'll be spending Valentines day sick together.

• they only act romantic so they woo u and get the pussy later.

• Guys are not romantic, if you expect what you see in the movies forget about it that’s not going to happen. I can say there’s maybe 1 out of 100 that does amazing stuff for their girl.

• I wouldn't mind if a guy did something romantic, but he doesn't have to. Love and appreciation from both parties shouldn't just be once a year.

• I tried to brush off valentines day because im very shy about expressing my feelings to my boyfriend of 4 months. Meanwhile, he planned flowers, chocolate, some sort of gift, and is taking me out to a restaurant on Saturday night. I tried to tell him that all I needed was his time and that the roses he got me two weeks ago are still alive, but he wasn't having it. He just looked at me funny and said that he knew but I was getting all these things anyway. At this point I feel pressure to do something amazing, but its hard to compete. He always treats me beautifully. Saturday night he surprised me with wine and tacos, and carried me to my car when I lost my shoes and decided to just leave them behind. Im screwed.

• I think it depends on the man. My last boyfriend was just a super romantic, spoil you type of person in general. But my boyfriend's are usually not like this, they're more realistic haha. My current boyfriend, we haven't ever celebrated an anniversary (we haven't exactly hit a year yet but still, haha, I'm used to celebrating at least a 6 month special date night)

Vday will show what he's like :) he did really good for my birthday and Christmas picking very specific individual gifts so I think he's romantic, he's definitely mushy but he's busy a lot :/ and that sucks.

• The guy you showed in the photo irl is basic and annoying

• Romantic guys will be romantic and the rest will stay the same

• My boyfriend can be romantic is naturally but isn’t trying at least that what I like.

• More from Girls
    21