Does being single on Valentine's day make you feel happy or upset?

I think I feel relieved this year that I'm not out searching for a gift like the couples of the world.
Happy Valentine's day indeed. : )
  • I feel wonderful about not being pressured to do anything on Valentine's day.
  • I feel upset, sad and sexually frustrated about being alone on Valentine's day
  • Mama say's Valentine's day is the devil.
    Vote C

2962

Most Helpful Guys

• Happy, I'm not required to pretend a materialistic holiday is about love

Most Helpful Girls

• I can care less it’s another Thursday...

• Unbothered 💖💕🎉

• Cute kid.
      That's a good attitude.
      I have my son too. : )

• 7d

My daughter's the exact reason why I'm unbothered about the whole thing. Other things like their smiling faces are well worth not having anyone.

2760
  • My Valentine's days are all days of the year except Feb. 14. I cannot hear that name anymore. Should I ever have a little daughter, then Valentine is the name that is taboo to me.

Many couples think they need to do something special on that day to show they care. W-R-O-N-G!

You do something special for somebody special every single day of the year. True love is not limited to these 24 hours in a year where you suddenly remember that you forgot to say thank you for a small gesture, you omitted to smile back because he shaped his hands in the form of a heart, you ignored his hand that was seeking yours on a walk and you rejected his offer to give you his sweater when you were shivering.

The year has 365, possibly 366 days but there are an infinite way to show your appreciation and love.

So, no, I am not sad or unhappy, I am glad that this day is just like any other in the year because I get this Valentine's feeling every time I look at him and see the sparks in his eyes, feel the warmth in his heart and every single, ever so small but unmistakable sign of care and love that oozes out of every pore.

And for all that, I do not need to be reminded of what I am getting the year long.

Happy Valentine's to those that are not that lucky

• I'm neutral. I think its an overdone holiday. Me and my fiance dont celebrate it. But this year in taking my friend out because she was recently cheated on and dumped by her long term boyfriend and they always did valentines day. So I dont want her staying home and being sad

• Happy because...
    Does being single on Valentine's day make you feel happy or upset?Does being single on Valentine's day make you feel happy or upset?
    😍

• Does not seeing or talking to your boyfriend make you feel happy or upset? I’ll say upset. We’re having issues... so yeah I’m upset..

• 7d

Aww, hopefully Valentine's day will bring you back together.
      It has that power. : )
      Just kidding.
      When I was your age my girlfriend and I broke up and got back together over and over again.
      I know your pain.
      It'll probably work out, try not to get too down about it.

• 7d

My mom doesn’t like how much older he is than me.. and he has kids.. and other reasons..

• 7d

Well I can understand that but as long as it’s all legal age then it is fine. What else seems to be the problem?

• I am indifferent to it. I am neither happy or sad. I will be going to see 'If Beale Street Could Talk' despite the fact that it's being released on Valentine's Day.

• Thanks, I hope you enjoy your movie.
      Have some buttered popcorn for me. : )

• I broke up 3 weeks ago. So im heart broken single. But it doesn't upset me. Cause my ex boyfriend wouldn't do anything on that day as he didn't do anything in previous years...
    So im fine.. and im happy that there is nobody to have expectations and waitings for some action.. hahaaa😚

• Aww, I'm sorry to hear that he didn't make any effort on Valentine's day.
      As much as I don't care about Valentine's day I still used to buy roses and write her a love letter.
      I hope you have better luck in your future relationships. : )

• Not a flying one given , happy if anything , just business as usual. V Day is only a commercial day , a TRUE romantic would not pick a pre-packaged day of " love " ...( more like ££$$$ !! ) and be spontaneous

• I agree.
      True love shouldn't just be expressed according to the date on a calendar.
      It should be everyday.

• Single dad , working FT and do not ever want to date , so does not apply to me. Women are great as arms length friends only

• I’m actually relieved that I’m single this year haha Last year, my ex got in a fight with me on Valentine’s Day and broke up with me 2-3 weeks after, so yeah 😂 I have a crush on a guy this year, but if something should happen between us, I’d prefer it to be another day. All days are worth of love. It should be something that comes natural and because we want it, not because of social expectations on one particular day. Anyways, Valentine’s day can still be fun though, so Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! 😊

• 6d

Wow, that's unfortunate.
      I got in a huge fight with my ex on Halloween one year. It's funny how those memories can ruin those days.
      I hope something good happens to you this Valentine's day and erases the bad memories.

• 6d

Thank you! Hope you don’t hate Halloween because of it, at leat the fight was in the ‘scary theme’ haha

• cause i loved one girl and we were together but we are not together so yea it just hit hard somewhere in my brain , cause heart is busy pumping blood hahaha

• 7d

I understand.
      Hopefully over time you won't think about her as much.
      Just takes time.

• 7d

damn this autocorrect

• 7d

It'll be ok.
      I was with a woman I loved for 15 years.
      Then we broke up and I had to completely start over and get over her.
      You'll get through it.

• When you have had your heart broken right before Valentines Day, it’s a much worse feeling then being single on Valentines Day.

• I like being single on Valentine's Day because I don't have to try to live up to its expectations. I know that doesn't sound romantic, but one can be romantic at other times.

• Usually not bothered although this year it’s different because I was kind of falling for someone but we parted ways at the weekend.

• I'm pretty even lined when it comes to Valentine's Day. But it more has to go with being widowed on Valentine's Day, it's sad that I don't get to have one more year, even if I didn't make it a huge deal, so yeah it gets me a bit depressed. But spending time with my daughter and knowing she's happy takes away from that.

I'm also allowing her mom and her mom's husband to call it a night and get some alone time. So that my daughter, her sisters (their kids) and I can watch a movie with them, and have snacks, minus the youngest.

• I feel sad, depressed, lonely, doomed to be single forever...

But who am I kidding, I feel that way almost everyday.

• I hope it turns around for you one day.
      Keep searching for your valentine, she must be out there somewhere.

• She is. I just would rather find her sooner than later.

• Doesn't make me feel anything special. I'm happy for those who have a reason to celebrate it, whilst I'm single, and when I'm not I'll celebrate it just the same.

• I think Valentine’s Day is too over commercialised, it’s high time for florists, confectioners, stationers, etc to make a fast buck

• To say that it makes me feel worthless and unloved is putting it lightly. So upset for sure

• 7d

Hang in there man, that day will go quickly.
      Make sure to treat yourself and find ways to enjoy your day.

• 7d

I find it more and more difficult to find joy in anything. When I do, it quickly fades out.

• 7d

I know the feeling. All we can do is stay committed to ourselves and work to be a better person than we were yesterday.

• Last time I was single on Valentine's j was upset. Then I got in a relationship and was still upset.

• 7d

Oh no.
      Sounds like Valentine's day just isn't your day.
      I hope this year is better.

• 7d

I have tried to talk to her and tell her what I see on him. She wouldn’t allow me to finish telling her what I thought about him. She just started nit picking everything I was saying about him. I just said screw it. You’re not going to listen to me, so you don’t deserve to know anything about what I do..

I tried telling her that I think my boyfriend is a sweet and caring person. He’s the oldest out of 6 kids, and his dad wasn’t around so he had to be Dad growing up.. He’s a very family oriented, hardworking, affectionate and nice person. He likes nature hikes, snowboarding, cooking and I’ve been getting him into painting..

I feel like no matter what I tell her, she’s constantly judging him and it’s sad because my mom always tells me to find a decent guy that treats me well and that I’m happy with... I do that and immediately she doesn’t like him. She’s only met my boyfriend... three times. She has his number and will text him sometimes when I’m with him to see if I’m okay.. he always texts back. Every time I try talking to her about her past, she gets upset and won’t really tell me much.. she’s told me some things but it’s pretty minimal.

• 7d

@Moochii These things take time. You have to whittle away at her defenses. Try not to make it about you. Focus your concern on her. Don't patronize her, but genuinely try to understand who she is. If you treat it like you are only trying to get to know her "issues" as it relates to your situation, she will get defensive. Then it becomes more about you than about her.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying your struggles are lesser than hers and that you should put your mother's needs over your own. What I am saying is that the only way to truly get her to want to understand you is for her to be vulnerable and for you to show her that it is safe to do so. There should be no judgment passed on your part. If you show her that you aren't judging her (only her behaviors), then perhaps she will realize that perhaps she is judging you unfairly. Once again, that shouldn't be the goal. It might be a natural consequence of you allowing her to let her defenses down.

More than likely she is carrying around some kind of baggage as it pertains to men and past relationships. She probably doesn't want to see you get into an unhealthy situation and go through the same struggles she did. She no doubt has trust issues, that much is plain to see.

As it is now, she may never trust your boyfriend no matter how much he tries to prove himself. This is especially true if her past trauma had anything to do with betrayal. The crazy part about betrayal is that a lot of times people don't see it coming and even people who you trust the most can be the betrayer and that causes some of the worst pain you can imagine. It isn't a feeling someone can let go of. It integrates into their person and can taint every relationship they have going forward. Sometimes only therapy, or a deep understanding, can begin to heal the wound, and even then, it is a hurt that will always need icing over.

Anyways, know that this part of the ordeal is mostly about her and not about you.

• Hate it, they're having a singles, speed dating type thing at my college but I can't even go because I have no ride 😑

• 7d

Aww, that sucks.
      You better find a way, it could be life changing. : )

• 7d

Nope I have to go to my shit job in the morning anyways and that's probably gonna be hell so I have to prepare myself mentally (read my question to understand why)

• No the only thing that makes me sad is the fact that I don't have a job.

• I'm no longer bothered by being single on Valentine's Day. But, I used to when I was younger.
    Now, I know that I won't have a boyfriend anytime soon, so it's like just any other day to me.

• it's just another day in the calender for me. I plan on seeing a movie all by myself

• neither tbh i dont really think of valentines day - not a big deal to me even when i was in a relationship i didn't want to celebrate it - not a big deal

• Makes me question how the day would be with someone else? Just that.

• I dont give a Shit, people Stop asking the Same questions please

• As an introvert, i dont care too much for others. There is no pressure in being forced to spend time with someone else.

• I dont feel anyhow and they aren't getting any of my money

• Being single is a choice, a choice which i want. Relationship are too much pressure

• I despite the entire concept of "Valentine´s day", so no. This is actually one of the days, where I won´t feel bitter or lonely ! :)

• It does not bother me that much, but still, it would be nice to have someone...

• I’ve been single for more of the Valentine’s Days in my life than I have been in a relationship. It’s just another day.

• I feel fine on Valentine’s Day single. I don’t see an issue with it. If ones got no one, they can date themselves

• You didn't put down the correct option:

I hardly notice it's Valentine's Day, and don't care about it one way or the other.

• i feel frustrated because i'm alone on another Valentines Day and also i haven't had sex in going on 5 years

• It's just another day to me.. Lol.. Hardly ever notice it..

• I want a relationship, but I don't give a rat's ass about Valentine's day.

• I feel upset, sad and sexually frustrated about being alone on Valentine's day.

• Before I was in a relationship was just another day didn't think about it anyway

• I mean, I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow night lol. Other than that I don't much care.

• I like having extra money on Valentine's for buying video games.

• Thankfully work and video games provide a decent distraction

• Commercialised , joke to get people to spend money !!!

• It has no impact on how I feel on February 14th. I'll make merry after work and call it a day.

• I've always been single.
    I've never believed in Valentine's Day.

• I'm single an fine with it till I find the girl for me an we get along well I'm ok

• I been alone my whole life, tired of having it rubbed in my face by Valentine's day!

• I never gave it much thought, no one around celebrated it

• ffs, this is 101010th post. It makes me even more mad about spamm on gag

• Im alone...

• Not sexually frustrated, but depressed and lonely.

• 7d

Sorry to hear that.
      Maybe just pretend that Valentine's day doesn't exist.
      Do something you love instead.

• 6d

I pray for you bud. I wouldn't give up hope on love. Your situation might not be the norm, and it may take a special person to be a part of your life, but I wouldn't resign yourself. I have heard of specialized dating services for the disabled, but then, you probably know your situation better than I ever could.

I wish you luck and happiness wherever you can find it.

• 6d

@freakyzeaky Thank you very much. And don’t worry about me giving up. My life isn’t over until God calls me upstairs, and until then I’m giving it my all for Him down here.

Show More
37