Is Valentine's Day only for women more than men? What are your thoughts, guys?

I heard a guy asked this yesterday... I see females showing off their flowers, gifts, jewelry they got from their s/o and admirers but I never/rarely see a guy getting stuff from their gfs/wife.

824

Most Helpful Guy

• Men hate Valentine's day. It's just a day where we either 1) spend a bunch of moneyand time on dumb stuff we don't care about or 2) fail to do that, and get in trouble with our woman. It sucks.

Most Helpful Girl

• ITS TRUE. iM NOT THAT TYPE OF GIRL.
    mAYBE CAUSE i HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ANYTHING EVER

723
  • Not if the woman uses Valentine's day as one of the only excuses to get kinky. Most men dislike this too because that means she is just doing it because she feels obligated to rather than actually enjoying it. If she were really attracted to and desired him, Valentine's day wouldn't be nearly as special, because most other days would be like Valentine's day to him.

The same goes for women. If a guy only gives you gifts and makes loving gestures on holidays, then, of course, they are going to "feel" extra special. If he does these things spontaneously all throughout the year, then would it be as important?

That said, I think there is a group/cultural expectation when it comes to Valentine's day, where people do compare and contrast. They use it as bragging rights. "My boyfriend wrote me this adorable letter on Valentine's Day!" or "My girlfriend did this thing last night, wow, I didn't know she had that in her!"

(I am not saying guys don't love gestures and only care about sex on Valentine's, nor am I saying that women are the exact opposite. I am just pointing out the cliches, which is essentially what Valentine's Day is to many people.)

• Well most men don't care about it. If women didn't make a big deal of it men would forget. As for the gifts, there is literally another question on the selected G@G questions where a girl is upset she gave her boyfriend someting very thoughtful and he gave nothing back. So no, this day is not for giving women gifts. Women like to give romantic presents too.

• Wow it seems all men think it's only for women, that means you're not finding the women you desire. For Valentine's day my man did nothing nor did I expect anything from him. I bought him a chocolate chip cookie cake, took him out for dinner, and made him a custom made poster card and we had a blast. You don't have to stick to societal norms you can make this day whatever you wanted to be.

• Easy to say, but my normally reasonable and logical girlfriend turned into a stereotypical hysterical female whenI didn't do anything for Valentine's day... For the record, were openly discussed how I hate holidays and I got zero push-back during those conversations.

• @wiseyoungman I'm sorry to hear you bad experience, you already had the talk prior and she still wanted you to do something. That''s awful for you, sorry to hear that, the Valentin'es day tradition is so ingrained in society just wow.

• Yeah. I think most guys understand that gifts by obligation are never meaningful gifts. And if we do receive a gift, we want to enjoy it, not show off. Girls show it off because it shows to their friends that their man cares about her but that is not a concern for men. We are satisfied by knowing it to ourselves.

• It’s a game. A woman might not really think it’s a big deal but she uses it to test/measure the guy. She pretends it’s way more important to her than it really is. So once a guy understands this it makes sense why it is all about the woman. And even if she gives the guy a gift it will be because she’s the giving type who would have given the same gift on a different day. Same for if she gives to another woman.

• i think society tends to go that way but in my experience that hasn't been the case. i think it all depends on individual relationships. in my relationships i prefer and seek out equality and women who want to be equal partners and as such they want to participate in Valentine's day rather than just be lavished upon

• I don't know... Probably for women, because I didn't give a fuck. It got my wife to buy so much alcohol though... so I dicked her down for it. Hella fucking romantic and shit. lolz

• I think so. I have yet to meet a man who doesn't think its commercialized bs. If they are in love.. they will make an effort for their woman...

• Valentine's is what each unique couple decides to make it, I don't mind buying into the "commercialism" of the day, it's all in good fun like Christmas. If I'm in a relationship where I put in effort, I would hope she does a little something for me, I like chocolate too

• Obviously. It's a sexist holiday. It's made to drain money out of men's wallets.

• Valenties day is yet another day that revolves around women. I hate it, it's pointless, and all these women pretending material objects mean love is disgusting

• I think it's mainly for women. I always look forward to it too because it's one of the few times a year my wife gives me sex

• I gave my husband something I knew he would like. His love language is gifts. So for me, it should be for both partners.

• Difficult to show a BJ.

If you don't like the imbalance, celebrate men's day on the 19th November. Just write "To all divorced fathers who can't see their children, we support you" on some social network.

• I would guess that most men don't care too much about it, they buy the flowers and chocolate because their women will be upset if they don't.

• It's for people with an unrefined sense of love and what it means.

My opinion, of course.

• Both has equal rights. As far as Valentine's law claims. Reality n facts declared that Valentine's was a man who died for his lover's dream. So, all she should care about their he.

• Unfortunately, yes. Men spend about three times as much as women on Valentine's day.

• I only receive gifts ar valentines day. And not give gifts.

• No, everyone can enjoy it. Valentine’s Day is over so we don’t have to hear people say I’m single on Valentine’s Day anymore.

• Of course it is, holidays really are just special for women and children if you think about it.

• Well in fact I really like to see the smile on her face after getting the valentine present

• I got socks from my fiancée. I win. 😁

• Unfortunately I have to agree.

• Yes it's mainly for women

• ladies benefit the most on V Day

• both

• Both

• sounds about right...

• Pretty much