How easily can you admit you're wrong?

is it hard for you when you're having an argument with someone and you're so sure you're right but then they prove you wrong? do you admit you were wrong or make something up to prove you're right?

i know a few people that do this (my little sis). and its so dam annoying!

because I see so many people fail at swallowing their pride and admitting they were wrong, I try my hardest to just say "OK, I was wrong then haha" and its really not that hard, it takes a few words.

and I'd respect someone who could do the same, when someone can't admit they're wrong, I lose respect for them.

so how hard is it for you?

This question has a poll!

• Vote A I never admit I'm wrong
  • Vote B I sometimes admit I'm wrong
  • Vote C I mostly admit when I'm wrong
  • Vote D I always admit I'm wrong
  • Vote E See results
this was supposed to be under behavior!

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 37

What Guys Said 28

• Selected as most helpful

Easy if I'm wrong, because I'm very open minded, neutral and fair - having these charactheristics also have helped me in being hardly wrong most of the time.

Usually, the situation you are talking about is more of a question of...

1) Whether they can handle their pride

2) Whether they have the ability to realize that they are wrong and have the right aptitude in handling, analysing or thinking about situations or topics.

- Biasness, stubbornness, lack of neutrality or having a pre-conceived AND bias idea in things develop a habit of people trying to find "evidences" to manifest an idea that supports their claim and use "you have no proof thus you are wrong" reasoning to stay in the right.

3) What situation or topic they are discussing about

- Not all topics have a clear right or wrong answer, nor are all answer purely opinion-based. Many people failed to distinguish that and use "opinion" as an excuse to support the fact that they aren't wrong.

-Some people want people to say they are right or others to admit they are wrong because they have other underlying intention (e.g. point scoring against siblings or classmates or just to wind others up)

Hope this helps.

• haha well the Q was a personal thing so there's no other way to help answer it other than by just answering.

• helps to answer your question :)

Most people eventually will admit that they are wrong in most circumstances, whether it's to the person they owe the apology, to themselves or to others. Children being immature and not admitting to their mistakes are plain common :P

• deluded, yup.

helps with what tho?

• Show Older
  • I will say I'm wrong 99.9 % of the time, .1% I have to keep for myself. You can't always give 100% lol

• hmm I guess haha

• I usually admit it readily, once I see that I am wrong. I am very passionate about what I believe in, & I will defend it, but if I am wrong I will say so. Sure it can be hard. Of course it is. Who wants to be wrong?

As a parent, I think the best thing you can do for your kids is let them see that.

In my marriage, my ex never apologized to me because he said that he was never wrong. He believed that. I am not making that up.

That makes me want to see myself realistically even most so with others. If you cannot say you are wrong & apologize to others, you are a pretty sad human being.

But that's just my opinion.

• i agree.

my dad is the type that will do anything to prove he's right.

he hasn't admitted he was wrong once for as long as I've lived.

• It's easy for me to admit I am wrong, so long that that is really the case. Of course, if I had enough evidence, I'd fight for it. But when I'm wrong, I'm wrong, no biggie.

If I'm wrong though, the hardesst part of it is having people not look at me the same way again. Some people think you're unreliable once you're committed a mistake and do not give you a chance to improve at all. It sucks.

• huh, hadn't thought of that.

• I admit I'm wrong all the time, even when I'm not.

• daam, that's nuts... I've only met 2 other girls like you.

they were both really sweet and sensitive.

• Yeah, I really really hate any sort of confrontation. Like, it can make me physically sick.

• why would you say you're wrong even if you're not?

to avoid arguments?

• Show Older
  • So long as its got solid reasoning or information I didn't know to prove otherwise, I have no problems admitting I was wrong.

• coo, coo.

• It depends on who the arguement is with. If it's with someone I am good friends with who I like, It's easy for me to admit when I'm wrong. When it's with just some a**hole, that's when it gets difficult to swallow my pride.

• i know what you mean haha

• It's pretty hard for me tbh but that is because I'm always right :)

• lol suure you are.

• C. I always know deep inside if I am wrong. But I admit it about 80% of the time. Depending on what is at stake.

• hmm, alright.

• I'm very stubborn, so it's not easy for me to admit I'm wrong.

• even better ; )

• lolol no, we're evil >:)

• aww really?

stubborn cute girls are cuteness.

• I usually do, or at least compromise (my pride is pretty darn huge), But sometimes if it's a fight over something small, the bigger/longer the fight was, the more I don't want to admit it when I find out I'm wrong.

But even then I'll usually stop arguing my point and skedaddle somewhere to lick my wounds :P

• cute way to put it haha

• It all depends, if I'm angry and discussing/other things about something or if we've been going on for long and it's becoming an intense discussion, then it's really hard for me to accept I'm wrong, but it depends on mood, who I'm talking with and how much I'm into it.

There are times it's very easy for me to say "okay, I was wrong" and times where I almost can't say it and such.

• haha alright.

• im verry stubborn so you have to prove to me in my face that I am wrong. but I won't tell them "im wrong" lol

• all girls like ninjas ; )

jk haha

• ahah so you are stateing that I like you? ...lol

• you know you would admit it if I were right and you were wrong, you know you would ; )

• Show Older
  • You have to prove to me I'm wrong, or I won't admit it lol.

• same here haha

• If I'm wrong then I will directly admit it . There is nothing to be shy of . But if I'm right ,no one can make me wrong :)

• indeed, no one can.

• I'm never wrong...

• hey now, just let her answer.

• Isn't that a trick question? o_O

• lol what's 2+2?

• I'm stubborn, but I can do it. Not w/o putting up a fight. If you can disprove my proof and back up your evidence I'll say it. :l

• good, good.

i'm pretty stubborn too haha

• It's extremely hard for me to do. I'm horribly pig-headed.

• thick skulled haha

• For me it really depends on the person. A lot of people see me as being smarter than them even though most of the time I will deny it. So around them it is really hard for me to swallow my pride and say they were right because I know they are just going to rub it in my face. Besides that though I will most always admit that I am wrong when I am actually wrong.

• coo.

and I know what you mean, I know some people that are like that too.

• I have no problem with that.

• dope.

• i'll always admit I'm wrong IF someone prove that I'm wrong.

But sometimes people try to prove I'm wrong when I have 100% sure I'm not and that's really hard for me to give up and say 'Ok, you win...' when I think they're not right.

• :)

• i know how you feel haha

• Show More
  • People that have hard time admitting they are wrong are usually compulsive liars and like to manipulate others. They can't stand being told they are wrongs and hold grudges a lot. They are overly defensive.

• I wrote that for people who deal with people who never admit they are wrong, just to let them know to be very careful about them

• i knew that already.

• I admit I'm wrong mostly when I'm with my friends. But I never admit when I'm with my parents

• true

• sometimes we're nice to strangers and rude to those we love.

• why not?

• It's really not so hard for me especially when I know I'm in the wrong and I'm the bigger person and admit it. What's harder for me is whether or not they'll accept the apology or not. I recently did this very thing and got nothing in return. But at least I know I wasn't wrong in taking a step forward. Honesty and admitting you were wrong is always the best thing you can do.

• indeed, I agree.

• no problem at all once you conquer your own narcissism

• hah yup.

• i will admit I'm wrong if the person who I'm admitting it to won't use it against me all the time and make me feel like crap. When someone else admits they are wrong, I always respect them for having the courage to say that and the open mindedness to change their mind, and I would never hold it as something to demean them with.

If someone shows me the same respect I show to others, I admit I'm wrong quite openly.

• sounds good.

• C - It takes a lot to make me truly admit I was wrong. However, in topics I am NOT at all an expert in, it is much easier. Or, for other topics, such as technology, cars or business, I'm quite stubborn.

Especially when, as Homer once said, "Facts shmacks. Facts can be used to prove anything even REMOTELY true!" :D

• i somehow thought so haha

• Homer Simpson...by the way...

• hmm, alright. interesting quote.

• Not with out a fight! :)

• hah alright.

• It's really hard for me to admit I'm wrong no matter who it is. :\

• I don't know. It's just hard for me to admit I'm wrong. :\

• that sh*t can be hard to say sometimes.

• I don't know. If they do prove me wrong then I'll probably just say "oh.." or something but I never say "I'm sorry I was wrong."

• Show Older
  • Okay this was supposed to be under behavior . You goofed. Admit you're wrong.

• lol no I seriously went in the behavior section but the site f***ed me over again.

• Unless I know I'm right I don't assert my position in the first place. Kind of hard to be wrong when you only speak about what you know.

• haha I bet.

• If I'm wrong, I'll admit it easily.

• coo.

• easy. if I realize I'm wrong then its like 'wow, I learned something new'. it would be really stupid of me to assume I know everything, and even more stupid to continue to argue when I know I'm not right. I'm a scientist, not a lawyer ;)

• haha I like that last line.

• It depends on what the subject is

If I am really passionate about this subject and I believe it is right then I will stand by my word but if its something that I don't have much knowledge about or something I'm not passionate about then I would not mind admitting defeat

• coo.

• What do you mean by "How easily?" When you are wrong, you are wrong, no? Who would act that they are right even though they are wrong?. Only insecure a**holes does that!

• I am not surprised at all, sadly. I am not, at all, young man.

• lots of people do man, you'd be surprised how big some people's pride and ego can be.

• I admit fault for things beyond my control.

• ok.

• easy...

• coo.

• I would admit I'm wrong if I was wrong but I'm never wrong. I'll admit that much. I think.

• pshh haha

• I love to argue.

I love proving points and using logic to prove I'm right.

But the second I know I'm wrong, if the argument is about the topic and not emotionally related, I'll admit it straight up.

Then later when it comes up again in some other circumstance, I'll use what I know now.

I think I'm pretty smart and I always want to be smarter.

You can't be smarter if you think everyone else is always wrong.

• +1 for taking a point proven from one argument and applying it in future arguments

• I like how you think.

• f***in good way to put it man.

• I do admit it because it's even more embarrassing when you excuse yourself although you know you are wrong. Do you get it? I respect my pride. It hurts my pride when I'm proven to be wrong. It hurts EVEN MORE when I insist. people need to think a step ahead.

• yeah I know what you mean.

• When I was younger, I had to win every argument. Sometimes after the argument was over, I would think about what the other person had said, and sometimes I realized that I was wrong, but an argument was a battle, and to give up proved me weak and stupid. As I've grown older I've developed the ability to know when I'm beaten and surrender indefensible positions. I'm actually rather proud of it. It demonstrates objectivity and a willingness to think. Don't get me wrong, I can still be stubborn, but that's only when I'm right.

• haha nice, nice.

• Show More