Why do people run back to bad relationships?

Be it a divorce or break up. Why do some people run back even if it's toxic or really bad? I know I'm asking this because my parents has a toxic relationship and that's why my mother divorced. Yet it's been six years since and she has ran back and forth since then. I don't understand how people can't see or choose to ignore how bad it affects the family. It makes me so angry. If it's toxic you leave for gods sake.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Like others have said, it is fear of moving on, or fear of something different. They run back to what they know, what they have experience with. Some people have confidence issues with prevent them from seeing that life can be better with someone else.

Most Helpful Girl

• Love can make people do that. You fall for someone hard and then it becomes very very difficult to walk away from them. You love the person and want it to work out. It's not healthy obviously but love is powerful and can make people lose all common sense.

What Guys Said 4

• Some people can't turn loose of familiarity. It's a comfort zone for them. Despite how hostile or hurtful the relationship was , they know it as what it is , it's nothing new so they are comfortable with it

• A fear of being alone, a fear of starting over, emotional and, or financial dependency, feelings of inadequacy, etc.

• Fear of being alone, of not finding anyone who likes you.
    Even though the relationship was bad, they still see it as a sense of stability.

• okay let me explain, cause lets say your mom finds another guy not saying your dad was perfect but she will compare that guy too your dad and want a guy that's considered better than your dad but all she gets is loser after loser after loser she will realize hey he wasn't perfect but he was better than most of these guys

What Girls Said 2

• That's a question I ask myself a lot. For others. I've never done it. I'm thinking that they are either still attached. Or some kind of fear or regret runs through them. Other than those two, they might just haven't found anything better yet and are uncomfortable being single.

• it's not that easy sometimes you love someone so much that no matter how "toxic" they are to you, you still go running back. it may affect you in terrible ways I can imagine but you have to give your mom support and let her know she deserves better and let her know that she has a voice