Are divorce laws are fair in your OP?

519

Most Helpful Girl

• I think overall the laws are pretty fair. Depends on the state you live in, of course, but there's a mathematical formula for support and alimony.

How an individual judge will rule on disputed matters is up to them, however.

The best thing is to be able to come to an agreement between yourselves. That's what my ex and I did. Basically we just paid the minimum fees to draw up and file the papers, and had a brief hearing to finalize it. I realize that isn't always possible, but it's the fairest and cheapest. I feel really sorry for people whose spouses drag them through a long, expensive, emotional battle.

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course not. Even in a perfect scenario where assets where divided and agreed by the woman 50/50, women are typically awarded custody of the child/children since social values suggest the children are "best situated" alongside their mothers and father figures aren't "necessary". A the same time, women would need to work a part time job or simply work less hours to take care of the child. Guess who has to pay alimony? People often miss that child custody responsibility is a privilege, not a burden.

Women don't realize this, but a woman's financial stability post-divorce decreases over time and this is an statistical fact. So even if men are the real losers in this game, it seems work choices, money spending choices and raising a kid (despite receiving alimony from the father) still affects women in a long run.

But then again what can be fair in a system where there are more than a hundred laws protecting women on divorce (no wonder why women initiate 70% of divorces) and 0 men. Divorce rate skyrocketed ever since the "no fault" divorce passed in 1969, and it's only going up in modern day. Women initiate more divorces and break ups and then people wonder why men have a really hard time to commit.

This will still be a recurring issue until they actually change the fucking laws which seems to be in no foreseeable future.

• Of course we realize that our financial stability declines over time. We don't want our marriages to end, either. But sometimes there's nothing you can do. I was married for fifteen years. We tried everything, including counseling and a trial separation. In the end it was just unhealthy for all of us. Period.

Women are devastated when their husbands leave. If they've got small kids especially orbs really tough. Some men want nothing to do with their kids. Of course some women act that way, too. The point is, both sides are equally likely to be at fault and equally likely to suffer. Kids do mostly prefer the mom but there are situations when dads get custody. I've met several men who have primary or full custody. My ex couldn't do cuz he does shift work.

• Hey man thanks for the MHO

@Punkin45 True, sometimes relationships don't work that's completely understandable. But that's why I chose to mention that 70% of times the women are the ones filing for divorce so saying women don't want divorce is quite the stretch. Women are generally the ones who want to get married, and at the same time women are actually the ones walking away from marriage not men as you are saying. And no, most men fight for custody for their kids. A man is happier/better off taking care of their own child than paying child support for someone who doesn't even let them visit their own child.

There are independent cases of course but statistics show something else completely to what you are saying. Men have it worse, and some basically end up in the street which is the reason why pre-nups should be the first thing that comes to mind to any man when choosing to marry.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 4

• i dont know all the divorce laws tbh so i can't say. i can say that in almost all the divorces i have seen with friends and family that involved kids, the kids wanted to be on the mothers side. i dont know any deadbeat mothers tho. i would think whats fair considers the individual case.

• They are ok in my country!

• I divorced you and then you took me back 😂❤️

• I really wouldn't know, since I have never been divorced or plan to marry.

• Seriously, that's the best thing unless you have kids. Then you need the legal protection for the kids sake.

• @Punkin45 No kids in my future. I'm quite content with my life atm.

• " @Punkin45 No kids in my future. I'm quite content with my life atm. "

What Guys Said 18

• All I know is before I get married contracts will be signed, precautions will be taken, and if she ever cheats on me or tries to divorce me for whatever reason she will be seriously screwed you reap what you sow. Better to be safely in love then foolishly in love.

• I dont think so. Its usually a worse deal for the lower earner.

I think things ahould be split proportionally to what percentage of the cost each individual paid.

For example if the woman paid for 70% of the house while the man only paid for 30% then I think if the house is sold the woman should get 70% of what it sells for.

Splitting it 50/50 screws over the person who contributed more financially.

• There are 2 big problem with your example.

There is often no record of who paid how much on a joint asset. People do not start a lives together with the expectation that it will fall apart in divorce and require legal action against each other. Few couples will bother to accurately track who paid what percent on the house, car, electricity bill... etc. When the issue is brought forth to the courts, it's a case of he-said, she-said, with few paper trails to prove either party's statements.

The second, and more important issue is that when you get married, you are a single unit. So your assets are legally considered combined, even if the husband and wife separate their expenses. So basically everything in the first point is irrelevant for a married couple. However, the above example applies to non-married people. Courts do not recognize "separate" accounts in a marriage. It is up to the couple to manage their combined assets in a way that is deemed equitable to both husband and wife

• @meowcow
      I see your point. Im just saying in an ideal world thats how I think it should be.

• In a divorce without mutual agreement both parties will usually think the other party got a better deal.

• Of course they aren't.

• Course not man. Marriages becoming more meaningless day by day.

• Absolutely not especially if we really want "equality" among women and men. We need to seriously look at property division and equality in parental rights. Right now as it is, the husband stands to lose 99% of the time.

• "Right now as it is, the husband stands to lose 99% of the time." Not if he kills the bitch shortly after they've sucked all of his lives earning away, right? I mean like they always say "till death does us part" so ____ should make sure that 1 death does just that to them LOL

• Ain't that the truth! Just sayin for me if I ever get in that situation I'm fuct because I've been married for 12 years now and have a child in the mix. My wife hasn't worked since her first trimester 10+ years ago so that's why they say "cheaper to keep her".

• Nothing in life is fair nig

• Naw cali is screwed 50/50 split between the two.

• Not unless she brought in 50%

• Where's your 50% for carrying the baby during pregnancy?

Do you then consider it fair that if a woman gives birth and is home taking care of the infant - then she is entitled to no money because the husband is the sole breadwinner?

• @meowcow
      I mean in case with no child involved. She should get what she brought plus more if they had a kid but it's fucking stupid how divorcing a rich person automatically makes the other party rich. Ex wives of ball players do not more than 7000 a month per kid, i don't care if they divorced a 1%er.

• @DooMguy
      We back to tag teaming now, thats whats up yo
      We ain't bring the man some proof...
      Exhibit A: BallerAlert. com "For Women Who Want The Ballerific Life!"

Marriage mayhem on some Deadman Wonderland shit

• The man always gets screwed.

• Fuck no. I know far too many guys that have been totally screwed in divorces.

• Fuck no... The woman gets 50%, the lawyer gets 30%, and the man gets the other 20%...

• hell no

• I can't really say what they are on paper, but in practice it seems that the woman typically gets the better deal

• Hell no. Divorce laws are super unfair in the USA.

• Divorce laws are women centred.

• Court bias against men is 6 times bigger than racial bias

• Doesn't seem like it, father always gets the worst deal out of it when kids are involved