How do I gently break up with him?

I'm dating a guy I've lost most romantic feelings for, but I don't want to break up with him because he's a great guy and I think I'd hurt his feelings if I did. How do I break up with him in a gentle way?

All the opinions were very helpful, thanks guys. I'll tell you how it goes.

31

Most Helpful Girl

• I went through a similar situation with my boyfriend of 2+ years. I just was honest with him, and I told him that we'd still be friends and everything, and that I still cared about him, but thought that we'd both be better off with someone else. He understood that, and we're still friends. I think that was the best possible course of action for that situation. Maybe something like that for yours would work.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 1

• Just be honest. If you make up BS reasons, it will just make more mess. But you are 14, so this will be easy. Do it face to face or through a text since you are young, he will get over it pretty easy. Just do not do it to a mature guy who has enough self respect.

What Girls Said 2

• It's best to just be honest with him. The break up is going to hurt any way you look at it.

• There's no such thing as a gentle break up.
    He could be hurt and get angry, be totally fine or become very clingy and refuse to accept it... you just never know how someone will react.
    A text is quick and means you don't need to face him but it's brutally cold. In person is the most decent but if he doesn't take it well it can be unpleasant and difficult. You could just distance yourself, not be available for dates and hope he loses interest but that's dragging it out longer than necessary.
    Difficult... let us know how it goes.