How do I tell him it's over?

My husband and I have been having problems; is has been verbally mean and even threatening in the recent past. I moved out not quite 2 weeks ago and I want to file for divorce. He knows that this is a thought of mine, but he still believes that we can work things out; I don't want to even try anymore... I've completely checked out. How do I tell him that I am filing for divorce? Do I just file and let him find out when he gets the papers? He is also very depressed and I am concerned about what he might do to me or himself.

Most Helpful Guy

• ooooh... husband problems.
    i was gonna say that saying "its over" usually tends to work, but in your case... putting down the divorce papers on the table does the trick...
    Im sorry about the situation, im against divorce. but if a woman (the usually more committed partner) wants to leave something as deep as marriage... it must be a bad situation.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well if he's expecting it because he knows you've been thinking about it, you really aren't responsible for what he does. Just send him the papers and if he's smart he won't be shocked, you've already made great steps in getting away.

What Guys Said 6

• Sister! Please! Don't you underestimate such a decision! Never let your heart leads such decision! Or your emotions!
    Every month every year you are different person. You might regret things.
    You are older than me, wiser than me.
    I expect you to review your decision,

• just do it. don't create a situation that can cause yourself to stumble. i don't like divorce, i've made a mistake years ago myself, but i do believe that abuse and cheating our grounds for divorce.

• what did you do?

• Aren't you a horrible wife

• Yes I am a horrible wife who works my ass off to support both of us and he has been verbally abusive for our entire 14 year marriage and pulled a gunique on me 2 months ago and threatened to kill me... I AM HORRIBLE!

• Yes for your safety separate first, we don't want that man stalking you and trying to kill you

• Jst do it...

What Girls Said 3

• Get a lawyer. One you can respect and trust. ( insert lawyer joke) - but seriously - tell him/her everything about your situation. Then let them help you decide how to handle the details

• Don't file for divorce, separate for about a year, and then file for divorce, and tell him in person when you do

• Just say it before hand and say why you doing it and you feel like you don't care enough anymore.