Do you keep stuff your ex gave you, or get rid of it?

I still have some art in my room that my ex painted, but I'm wondering if it's not really right to have them up anymore. There's also some books, letters/poetry, jewelry, stuffed animals, cards, pictures, etc. that are around. I might keep the books and store the rest of it away in a box or something.

It's been a few months since we broke up, but I haven't really decided yet. Thought I'd ask you all what you tend to do.

• I keep everything.
  • I keep some of it.
  • I don't keep any of it.
    Vote C
  • Depends on the ex...
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
  • Don't have an ex/see answers
    Vote F
Select a gender to cast your vote:

2516

Most Helpful Guy

• Keep it. So, this might sound odd, but I've never been through a bad breakup, so I mean, we aren't together anymore, but we still have good memories. But if it was a bad breakup, than maybe I'd toss the stuff, especially if I thought it would help me move on or to, you know, heal.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I need to move on and keeping thing's that remind me of them only keep me in a loney comfort zone. Yesh it takes me time to get rid of his crap cause I really cared about him, but I know it's best to toss that shhhh. He is not losing sleep over me, so why should I over him.

What Guys Said 15

• Depends on how good or bad the break up was. If it was amicable, I'll keep stuff. All good memories. If it was a nightmare, I'll get rid of all of it.

• my exes gave me so little I can't even think of a single thing they gave me beside heartache.

• I have really nice coffee grinder she left. Also another ex left a REALLY nice vacuum. Everything else goes in the trash.

• I'm perfectly fine with keeping stuff they gave me, they're just items, nothing more.

• I keep almost all of my first love's stuff in a box packed away. I keep a beautiful picture of her in my room on my bookshelf.

• Waste makes waste after all.

• the moment she turns to an ex everything which is attached to her loses the connection to her for me, so if it's useful thing then i'll keep it otherwise i'll rather make room for usefull things...

• Never had an ex, but theoretically, if it was useful and pricey, I don't see why I won't keep it. It's the most rational thing to do.

• I am not throwing my de gio

• Depends on what it iswill depend on if I keep it or not. An ex got me a wonderful dish ser so I kept them. Another got me a figurine so I gave it back as soon as we broke up.

• I delete naughty pics, but keep just about everything else

• I kept it. I would gain anything if I threw it all out.

• I wouldn't keep any of it

• There is a reason an EX is an EX!

• I see no reason to keep any of it

What Girls Said 24

• No matter who I have ever been with in my own Life, Even a Muslim's Wife... I Keep everything.
    I am not the kind of person who throws anything away because the Pictures, trinkets, jewelry, Just anything Special, Even if it is a Stuffed animal from a Fair, I Cherish it because I Care.
    I still have my First Birthstone ring that my First Love gave to me when I was 13, And this is the Most Cherished gift I probably will ever Hold and Behold.
    Good luck and Great question, @heavenonearth. xx

• I'm the sort of person who'll remove every trace of someone in my life. I'm not sentimental when it comes to an ex.

• They're items. If I like them, they stay. Like, if I were in your shoes, I'd keep the paintings and jewelry if they were pretty! But plushies, toys, pictures... bleah, they're just clutter. Letters don't take much space, and you might have fun reading them over in a few years!

• I would keep it unless they wanted it back. Everything has value to me, and every person had a part to play in my becoming who I am now. If my current boyfriend were to dump me, I'd probably continue to wear the necklaces he bought me unless he specifically told me not to

• I always give it to Good Will or The Salvation Army. It's apart of my whole 'out of sight; out of mind' process of moving on.

• I think it's fine to keep presents. I sleep in a t-shirt my ex got me. Of course it has sentimental meaning in the sense that it reminds me of good times we had, but I wear it more because I like the shirt.

Just because he bought it for me doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to wear it.

• I keep all of it. I've got like department-store gift boxes, one for each boyfriend, with the stuff from that relationship. :) Cards, letters, printed emails, gifts, etc.

• I've kept some things from my most recent ex. Some I gave away because they were perfectly good shirts, I just didn't want the memories associated with them. I gave back the family heirlooms he gave me because I didn't feel right keeping them. He didn't ask for those back, but I gave them back anyway. He seemed happy to receive them. I have most of the small stuff in a box under my bed. Letters and postcards, etc. but I think I might get rid of those too. My mother doesn't think I should, but it's just too much knowing that they're in the house. I can't get over the betrayal that they represent.

• I keep the memory in my heart.

• Lol, my ex wants his shit back. He can have it!

• I don't keep any of it. I return them all.

• I don't keep any of it. I give everything back.

• I tend to be harsh and get rid of any evidence of an ex so I can have a clear slate. Doesn't mean I never cared or don't still care, it just helps me move on. Life isn't about the 'things' anyway, its the memories which mean more to me than anything

• My ex made me a coffee table and an in table, so I kept that. Everything else went in the garbage.

• I actually had an ex accuse me of using him for money. That ended when I offered to pay him back.

• i think that happened to me too... I gave him money and left, but then he had panic attack. So, I realized how much I meant to him. He explained afterwards that he didn't think I was with him for money but that I just didn't contribute as much as he did. And so then every time after that, I would pay for both of us or we split the cost. But then, everything ended anyways...

• @datnotit Sorry to hear that. We had already broken up, it was his way of trying to guilt me.

• I have the stuff but it's mostly because I wanted to burn it

• Vote E.

With some ex dates I have kept everything
    With others, I have sent everything back..

• I keep everything lol

• I still have everything i'm not really the type to go crazy and throw things out or burn thing,

• I give it back to them "."

• If you see the stuff and get depressed -> get rid of it.

• kept jewlery and gifts to restaurants. shoes, clothes items
    returned every little thing. he was shocked that i boght back everything little thing to him including a small bottle of massage oil.
    he thought i never wanted to see him again.
    we still hang out at times. but i may stop if he isn't going to tell his new girlfriend that we are friends. not fair to her.

• So I returned the bracelet and a book pictures to him because I was really mad after the breakup. But he told me he threw it all way. And that made me even madder because those were cherished memories.
    So I kept the rest... the Versace perfume and the flats. And a silver ring he bought from Dubai!
    I don't know, I'd think it would be waste for such items to be thrown away.

• I have kept practical things, like kitchenware, but not sentimental things, like jewelry or love notes.