Why is it so hard to be friends with my ex? how can I make it easier?

Okay so my girlfriend broke up with me about a month ago, and it really really upset me as i wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, also it was really sudden. The only reason she said is that its not working.

So for about a week we didn't talk at all then we started being friends again, she said she cares about me and wants me in her life, but that we won't ever get back together. And i really want to be friends with her for her and for me because were still really close and i dont want to loose her completely, but sometimes i just find it so hard, it really hurts being around her sometimes, but i dont want to give up on her completely.

Is there anything i can do to make this easier?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• If the breakup is still fresh as I see that it still is, then you should spend a few weeks, or even a few months, without talking to or seeing your ex on a regular basis.

This phase is key in learning to separate the relationship from the friendship, and gives both you and your ex enough time to grieve the breakup.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't... as a matter of fact a psychological study was preformed and the results stated that if you are able to remain friends with an EX it is a very high chance that you could be a psychopath.
    So what your feeling is a good thing.
    If it's really that easy for her... Watch out.

What Girls Said 2

• It's hard being friends with your ex because it was someone you loved. It was someone you shared everything with and suddenly just stopped.
    I would recommend spending some time for yourself -- both of you. Just clear your head a little and when you feel ready, feel free to start talking to each other and maybe even mingling a little.
    A little space and breathing room is all this takes. It's a good way to asses yourself and why things didn't quite work out so well between you two.

• Just chill, maybe start looking for a new love interest

What Guys Said 2

• That's not an easy Avenue to travel, your feeling for her on one hand are strong and hers are not the same. It's gonna be hard because of your strong feelings and now you want to be friends and there is gonna be a time when you'll see her with other guys and it's not gonna feel pretty.

• You don't want to be friends with her... you want her in your life as a sexual and emotional partner. Move on.