Is it wrong to act as if the guys I dated before don't exist?

Once a guy and I go our separate ways it's like I drop off the face of the planet. I stop all communication and if I happen to see them in public I actually as if I don't know them. I like leaving my past in the past and don't believe in being friends with exes. However one recently was upset because I didn't speak and I told him we have nothing to talk about. I didn't think I did anything wrong but he was pissed. Was I wrong for that?

84

Most Helpful Girl

• No, there's nothing wrong with that. I mean, it'd be different if you drifted apart from a friend, but you have romantic relations with your ex. Most would be happy to date a person like you who doesn't stay in touch with their ex's. Personally, I think that's the best way to go most times.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 4

• There is no right or wrong, but it is a form of burning bridges and that can be a bad thing in the long run.

• What do you mean?

• You're right, I can only determine something from what you've given me. And from what you said, she dropped you and came back when she was at her weakest point because she knew you would give her what she wanted.

• Well, yes, but it wasn't for selfish reasons. She needed a best friend and, at that time, I was the best person for that. Believe me, she was scared to reach out to me thinking I'd be angry and give her a rough time. But, we had a great time on the phone and a few weeks later she spent her own money to fly 3000 miles to visit me.

• You have every right to do so. You owe them nothing and they don't have a 'right' to speak to you.

• i dont believe in being friends with exes, however.. if i happen to see an ex out of no where.. i will say hello and keep walking.. nothing wrong with it.

Being polite is something you should try to be, you will appreciate it as well.

• I'm a polite person, I just treat my exes as strangers.

• You can say hi to them if your really polite and they are still going to be out of your life.

Ignoring someone makes you weak. Like you can't get over what happened.

• Yeah I guess. I just don't have any desire to speak.

• Gotye wrote a song about this.

What Girls Said 7

• I get where you're coming from, but unless they did something really awful to you, I don't see any reason not to treat them with common courtesy/decency when you run into one. It's incredibly rude to just stick your nose in the air and pretend someone doesn't exist when they say hi to you.

• I'm the sam way and I find there is nothing wrong with your behaviour. I find it's a way of moving on and it helps me move on faster to act as if they never existed.

• no I've done that. its ok but if your so asks, dont lie.

• I do the same thing and feel the same way. I broke up with them for a reason or they broke up with me for a reason so there is nothing to talk about.

• If you don't want them in your life, then that's your choice. How you go about it is up to you. I do much the same with my exes.

• That's the way to go

• It's not wrong. Do what's right for you