I left my boyfriend who loved me so much because I can't love him back the same amount. Did I do the right thing?

Hi so I broke up with my boyfriend of 1 and a half year because I know I can't pay back the love he gives me. I tried though. But it wasn't easy. he's always been there for me and I make him happy by simply just existing. He has done efforts. And I've let the relationship stay longer because whenever we argue and I try to break up and tell him. He begs for me to stay. and I feel bad because I see how hurt he is. But I am unhappy with the relationship because I dont love him that much. He annoys me from time to time and I knew from the beginning we wouldn't match. I just felt bad to reject because of how sad he gets. And now I've finally have left him and got out of the relationship. My question is. Did I do the right thing? Or should I have just stayed and try harder to love the things I hate about him? Was I selfish or selfless or both?

41

Most Helpful Guy

• My Girlefriend break up with me 6 months ago,
    she said she have no feelings for me, no loving me anymore.
    I begged her to stay with me, but she was confrontive against me.
    So from my opinion accordting to my ex:
    this is really selfish and egoistic.
    But one day the wheel gets rotated, she will stay on my place and see how
    painful is to leave the person you love the most.
    We were dating for 4 years and honestly I hope she will regret doind this,
    but will never allow myself to such a girls like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a very similar experience, but we had dated for over 3 years. I know it's important to go with your gut feeling, but I will tell you one thing. When you go back into the dating world, not all guys will value you as much as he did. After approaching a guy who I still unfortunately have a huge crush on, I only now realize how spoiled I was by the respect my ex-boyfriend of 3 years had for me. It's not something you will find in everyone, although you may feel he wasn't for you.

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Girls Said 3

• You did the right thing, as hard as it was. Why stay in a relationship you're unhappy in?

• You are a young girl. You want excitement, thrill and danger in your life. Your boyfriend seems to be a good guy. He cares for you. He does not seems to excites you and challenges you. You did a wrong thing by breaking up with him but you will hurt him eventually if you stayed with him longer because you do not like him. When you get older and look for stable mature caring partner. You will probably miss him and respect him for what he did for you.

• Yaa if u don't love him then this is the best choice u hv made.. he also deserves sm1 who loves him the same way... n leaving sm1 is better then cheating.. right.. so don't feel guilty about it...