What's the point of venting out a break up on social media?

Over the past week, my social media walls are being inundated by pics with statements like "you pushed me away" and "never let a man put you through heartbreak" etc etc., almost exclusively by women.
So.. what's the point of advertising a break up on social media? Is it to gain sympathy from friends? Support from white knights? Or an indirect way of telling your friends "hey I'm single again, help me find someone"?

149

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's idiotic, but from what I've seen

1. Gain sympathy from friends
    2. Desperate attempt to communicate with ex who isn't taking calls or texts
    3. Feeling self conscious that others will judge them for the relationship ending - so trying to make it clear it wasn't their fault (even if it was)
    4. Shame their ex out of anger

It's not to get a romantic partner, as this person is still totally a wreck from their breakup.

Most Helpful Guy

• I could be an attempt of gaining sympathy, but perhaps an indirect way of exposing the ex-boyfriend for all the bad things he has done etc. If a guy is displayed as a dick, player or fuckboy (although he might not be), he'd lose many points on the dating market, making him less desireable. In other words an attempt on ruining the reputation of the boy.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 13

• It's a cry out to the man who broke their heart. It's a way to try and make them feel guilty... Sometimes it works, but usually it's just dumb drama and doesn't help the person in the end.

• I think it's to get sympathy from friends, but it's likely a message to the person who did it as well. I don't really get it either. It irritates me the most when people post statuses like: "Oh life sucks so much right now," and then when people ask why they'll post: "I don't want to talk about it." It's so obvious they're trying to get some attention. I have someone who does this constantly, and then she bitches about people getting in her business.

• All of the above. Mostly, when we get hurt we want sympathy, if it was an ugly break up we want confirmation that our feelings towards the other party are justified. But sometimes it's also done to hurt the other person so they'll feel like a jersey and apologize. It's ridiculous, I know, but chicks just don't seem to be able to stop themselves.

• A break-up is hard to go through, of course. There are a lot of feelings & emotions to process. There may be the reasons you cited, but venting for its own sake can be helpful in the process.

As for it being mostly women doing this, we aren't under the cultural "expectations" to man up, stoically accept what has happened & silently move on with life the way men believe they are.

On a side note, "hey I'm single again, help me find someone" is understandable. Nature abhors a vacuum, after all. But it's not a great idea. People on a rebound may have cloudy judgement for a while, & rebound relationships are not known for their record of long-term success.

• because people nowadays feel the need to live their lives through social media and let the world know everything thats going on

• Lol everyone expresses themselves differently on social media. Some people share feelings and all sorts of details about their lives. Maybe they depend on their friends' reassurance to cope. I think sometimes it can get too personal and passive aggressive though

Personally, I'd rather write those kinda feelings in a diary or vent to my best friend whom I trust with my life.

• attention seeking.

• I don't know I've just broke up with my boyfriend and the worst thing is family and friends asking what went wrong, I don't want to talk about it! It's raw, it's upsetting - it's embarrassing. The last thing I would want to do is sprawl it all over social media!

• To vent, sometimes people just wants a medium. I prefer to either write it down or tell the guy. Like after that I really do not care

• Insecruities. To show the world and gain attention.

• Women do that on social medias because they are obviously heartbroken, and they want their boyfriend or husband to see what they've have caused them. They want you to realize how heartbroken they are.

• Sympathy, validation, and advertising.

• She's mad and wants you to feel bad as well

What Guys Said 8

• i think for some it's just to vent, although maybe not the correct venue
    i think for some they are hoping for validation of their feelings

• Dude you nailed it on the dot! Some women just are attention seekers & love to play victim. It works out because some idiot who thinks with the wrong head will always swoop in to save the day & she'll villainize him 2 weeks later

• Obvious, to incite a reaction of either sympathy, patronizing or the more likely one, trolls. It gains attention, so it's also potential entertainment. Different people, different preferences.

• Attention seeking like most people on social media. Infintile need for approval and validation from everybody

• Not everything requires a rational "point". Self-expression is it's own ends.

• Let me shorten your question a bit.. " what's the point of venting?"

• Good question.

You summed up the reasons pretty well.

I just find it useless, unclassy and unethical.

• Attention getting. That's about it. And it's immature.