I (male), Just ended friendship with female 'best friend', have I done the right thing?

Ok so this girl (best) friendzoned me for years if you wana call it that, she said she used to like me etc etc. She knows from on and off ocassions how I feel about her but has always since then played the friend card.

Anyway I today told her i think we should stop being friends, because it hurts me too much now, I told her how my feelings eventually grew to a point where it was best for both of us and that I need to find someone else who will let me give what I have. She kept saying things like "why can't you move on and still be friends?" "who will i talk to?" and going on about how upset she was.

Have I done the right thing? Is she being selfish? If she really wanted me she would have said something right? I feel devastated and so lonely right now, part of me is hoping she'll come back on her own, but I do want to move on from this affair.

Most Helpful Girl

• You've done the right thing, she can longer screw you around. She also kind of held you under her sleeve as a backup in case it won't work out with other guys. It's better that you did this now than later. This is why having friendships with the opposite sex is difficult.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep, just move one, forget about her. Do it wholeheartedly and be fully committed to it, completely disconnect any and all things that will ever remind you of her, in particularly social media, phone numbers, and possibly emails, etc. Drop all contact with her permanently, that would be the new beginning where you two begin your separate paths in your individual lives since things never had worked before, was never really working now, and never ever will work, so it's time to completely move on. You don't need her, ditch her. You'll make new friends because you CAN make new friends.

What Girls Said 3

• You two were never best friends.

• I don't know either tbh

• Y'all are both being selfish but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Do what's best for you.

What Guys Said 5

• Congratulations, mate! You have just shown the world how to get out of this dreaded friendzone. We don't have to accept 'friendship' as consolation prize from someone who thought they can never date us.

I firmly believe in this as well. If I fall for someone but she can't see me more than a friend, I prefer to get out of the friendzone AND her life.

• I don't think you were being selfish, man. You have to realize, no one is going to look out for you, except you. We all have needs and desires to be fulfilled through a meaningful relationship, if that's not something she wants to share with you; you shouldn't hurt yourself imagining what could've/should've/would've been. Personally, I feel like she'd be more of the selfish one for what she said. It makes me think she does not actually cherish the relationship she has with you.

I've been through a nightmare of a relationship recently, and we probably feel a similar pain. Part of my wants my Ex to come back, and part of me wishes she would just disappear from the face of the Earth.

It won't be easy, but try to focus on other things. You will persevere.

• Yes, you made the right choice. You need to focus on yourself, heal, and get the opportunity to be with other girls. She misses your attention but that's not your problem.

• You did the right thing.

• Yes. If you were friendzoned then you did the right thing. Don't sit and hold out hope for something that will never come.